Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

gomez could go and gordon take his squad place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don’t forget we have three CB’s and N Williams on loan in the Championship then there is also R Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Actually trying to edit this Twitter link off the page and can't get rid of it, I love the new boards 🤦‍♂️

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Go here on your profile

and delete the saved draft

Ignore that I am blaming Covid for reading your post wrong.

Beware of men with cucumbers, that’s one weird vid.

It's to delete the link bit, I managed to get rid of the draft, you tap and hold the link and normally a little bin icon comes up and you just delete it...

The bin icon is not coming up, I had to flag my own post to see can the mods delete it, you can't actually delete a whole post...

@Dav010 That cucumber vid is mental, some of the stuff that gets sent around 😂

What I was trying to post!

The lads seem to have some craic hanging out around Kirby on the day to day 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Gomez will be kept another year at least... he's one of only 3 club trained players, so if we lose him we're down to a 23 man Champions League squad (plus kids).

This has really been a recovery year for him anyway, so I don't think it's a true reflection of his standing in the club. He's had a lot of niggly setbacks throughout. It's only recently that he's been available to make a few appearances reasonably close together.

I think Stevie will put a bid in for Gomez and Joe may go, most likely due to lack of game time but I think you are correct Rebel, if he has a decent summer off and more rehab he may be back to strength next season...

He could be crocked altogether though, them scars on his knees are mad after his operations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I can see Klopp convincing Gomez to stay. Matip wont have a long career and he could break at anytime.

Gomez should use this time to work on his body and his chance will come. He was over played as a youngster and after injuries. Now he has a chance to make that back.

Stay with Liverpool, have a long career, win trophies. Move, shorten your career and with nothing.

He should look at Carragher's career trajectory and see how a club legend had to over come challenge after challenge.

Matip is younger than VVD.

Slightly younger, but nowhere near as robust. I'd be surprised if Matip remains fit enough to play 70%+ of matches a season for another 4 or 5 years like we'd expect out of Virg. This year has been the exception of the past 3... he's already played quite a few more games this season than the previous two put together. I'd love for this run he's on to continue, he's brilliant, but it probably makes sense to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wrong thread.

Not sure what happened there. 100% clicked on the Elden Ring thread in the gaming forum 🤔

• Advertisement

There was an AMA over on Reddit with one of the Squawka guys. One of the questions was in relation to the defensive side of TAAs game. I've copied the question and answer below.

Thanks for your time, Jake. There's been a lot of criticism from pundits towards Trent for his defensive side of the game. Klopp is adamant Trent is not a defensive liability. What do the stats say?

No problem at all, I love doing this.

For this, we'll look at his tackling stats, specifically **True Tackle Success**. Warning: this will turn into a long message but I hope you find everything interesting and valuable.

This is different to what you will find on the Premier League website, for example. They use **Tackles Won** but there is something everyone needs to know about tackle definitions. They do not really make much sense. I've pasted the Opta explanation below, but more information can be found [here](https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/).

> A tackle won is deemed to be where the tackler or one of his team-mates regains possession as a result of the challenge, or that the ball goes out of play and is “safe”.

> A tackle lost is where a tackle is made but the ball goes to an opposition player.

> Both are deemed as successful tackles however, the outcome of the tackle (won or lost) is different based on where the ball goes after the tackle.

So, **True Tackle Success** is calculated by dividing **Successful Tackles Made** by **Total Tackle Attempts**.

A *Successful Tackle* is made up of **Tackles Won + Tackles Lost**. **Total Tackle Attempts** is actually made up of four different metrics: **Tackles Won** + **Tackles Lost** + **Fouls from Attempted Tackles** + *Challenges Lost (a.k.a Times Dribbled Past).**

With all of that out of the way, here's how TAA compares to AWB for all those tackling stats.

**TAA vs AWB in the Premier League since 2018/19**

* Tackles Attempted per 90: 2.9-4.1

* Successful Tackles Made per 90: 1.6-3.2

* Fouls from Attempted Tackles per 90: 0.25-0.48

* Times Dribbled Past per 90: 0.98-0.41

* True Tackle Success Rate: 57%-78%

It's important to note that AWB has made the most tackles and has the best tackle success rate of any full-back with 1,200 minutes in Europe's top five leagues since 2018/19. So, TAA stacks up quite well.

And here is the True Tackle Success rate of some other full-backs in that time:

* Andy Robertson = 58.3%

* Achraf Hakimi = 57.1%

* João Cancelo = 55.4%

* Reece James = 53.8%

* Kyle Walker = 53.6%

So while tackling is not the only metric you should use to measure someone's defensive quality, to suggest Trent is below average in this regard is pretty silly.

And even if he was operating at 30%, he's so good at what he is in the team to do that Jürgen Klopp probably wouldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Matip could actually last longer

Out of all our current CB he uses his athletic abilities the least , same reason i think Trent will last longer than Robbo his game is not based around his athleticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd have said he covers more ground with his forward marches than any of our CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Japan vs Australia match on atm....sounds like Taki is some sort of target man for Japan 🙂

32 mins: The ball finds Ito on the right hand side, who clips in a lovely ball that finds the head of Minamino... oooh! The Liverpool man’s bullet header crashes back off the underside of the bar, with Ryan a mere spectator! What a header, and so unlucky not to give Japan the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You seem to pontificate in a lot of your posts it must be tiring for you, it sure is tiring to read. Every second post is talking about how some fans said this or some fans said that, all in a seemingly weird attempt to paint yourself as some sort of superfan who never had a bad word to say about anyone or anything Liverpool related. It's a bit of a sad schtick tbh.

• Advertisement

Japan won and Minamino is now off to the World Cup.

Looks like Kelleher will start for Ireland on Saturday as Bazuna dropped out of the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Won 2-0. Minamino was subbed off on 84 mins and his replacement got both goals 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's like when you loosen a jar lid, then someone else opens it. I'm sure he did all the hard work 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gomez out on loan is best option I think, unless we get a ridiculous offer for him I don't see the benefit in selling him. It was only 2 years ago he was part of a league winning partnership and looked excellent.

The club getting into NFTs I can not stress this enough, fùck NFTs and everything that is involved with them...

Disgusted over that tbh

Disgusting bollix that they are doing that just stealing from the most naive and vulnerable

I've actually sent the club and email I feel that strongly about it....

contactus@liverpoolfc.com if anyone feels the same as me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm not a fan of that whole NFT angle myself either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What's an NFT and why are they so bad??

Give me a €500 and I tell you then you can ask someone for €500 and you can tell them.

• Advertisement

That's someone in Marketing after coming up with a brainwave. Idiots.

One of the pods was saying the last Preimer League meeting the clubs had in London something like 80% of that meeting was taken up by the clubs discussing NFT's and Crypto and how they could make money from them.

The Preimer League also claimed ownership and copyright on John Terry's NFT's that involved him using the Preimer League trophy so he had to remove it from sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

If anyone is in doubt about NFTs just be aware that John Terry is a staunch advocate of them.....enough said as the fella says.

I'd recommend the David McWilliams podcast from a few weeks ago as well for those wishing to take a deeper dive...I'm not necessarily a fan of DMac but he nails the nature of NFTs imho.

Tldr...NFTs are a glorified Ponzi scheme

There's nothing inherently wrong with NFT's - it's just a technology that secures ownership rights of a 'thing', and that thing can be real, or digital. Once something, anything, has been 'minted' an NFT, then the sale of that thing is very securely recorded. It's not a bad technology in and of itself.

The problem is that in these reasonably early 'wild west' days of it, because its new and shiny, people are 'NFT'ing all sorts of nonsense that has no value, and other people are buying them not knowing any better. Pictures of cartoon apes going for tens of thousands, because some people just have tens of thousands laying around to spend and speculate on. The trickle down is that more regular people then get caught up in the excitement of it, and think there's money to be made, when in 99% of cases there is not. It's like the regular art market (which is already so arbitrary and nuts) but kicked into total overdrive, and marketed to the masses.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sounds like a great way to move or launder hookie money. Very like the fine art market, and indeed the football transfer market.

I am suspicious of cryptocurrency, it’s value and use, but it looks like it is here to stay and could very well become more accepted for everyday transactions. So it is not surprising that clubs are embracing it as a potential revenue stream. I don’t think NFTs are aimed at, nor going to appeal to everyone. People who buy them are likely to know what they are buying, and if they don’t, then that is like me buying on eBay without checking out the item/source, it’s caveat emptor.

Fools and their money are easily parted, I’ve never understood the appeal of baseball cards or comics, but some people pay big money for them. That’s their call, so if Liverpool or anyone else wants to make money off digital images, good luck to them, I wouldn’t buy them, but then I don’t subscribe to LTV either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Neco playing as a left WB for Wales and playing well. The Golfer gives them the lead with a brilliant free into the top bins.

From a Liverpool POV, good to see Kelleher likely to get a chance to lay a claim on the ireland job with Bazunu injured. We're stacked in goal at the moment and Kelleher was unlucky to miss a few games and Bazunu made the most of his chance. Up to Caoimhin to stake his claim now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

As long as they're selling the NFT's as just another bit of merch and don't in any way use the term investment around it I don't really have much of a problem with it. And they specifically say they should be seen as collectibles and not an investment in the press release. No different than buying a poster/painting of a player in cartoon form. It's just digital now.

Yeah, I'd kinda agree with this... it's just another club related/branded 'thing' to sell - and 50% of the sale price of the unique (only one sold) ones goes to charity. I'll be incredibly pissed off if they ever move into the crypto fan token realm though. That **** is a pure racket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jota with a fine goal tonight, they lead 2-0 at ht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Neco Williams having a great game on the left for Wales. Can’t see us letting him go - he’s top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Egypt V Senegal games are on here https://mola.tv/

Just need to sign up to watch them

Fabinho only played 10 minutes for Brazil, so that's good. Luis Diaz played most of his match, but he did score a cracker at least. Unreal first touch, comes inside his man, and whips it round the keeper into the bottom corner. Assisted their second too, with a handy deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The fixture list for April & May really is hectic (May dates are probable - need to get confirmed by TV companies first and some will have to move). Games every 3 days with no let up. Will need all players fit and ready to play & rotate.

I think Klopp should definitely be making use of the 5 subs where possible anyways, in the cups as they will be needed. Minutes in the legs going to be a problem here too.

The May run looks very tricky, especially when the cups are added in and the quality of the opposition. April is doable but all games need to be won really, for a chance of a trophy. I think it's critical to get a good win away to Benfica to allow that little bit of extra rotation in the 2nd leg at home.

• Advertisement

No point in looking that far ahead , Basically if we lose to City in the league game its all over before it even starts ,

Lets just beat Watford & try not lose away to Benfica , Then go form there ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Absolutely have to look ahead. You can guarantee that Klopp is. He has his Man City league team picked and is working backwards from that as to who can play where in what game. Every manager will have a rough idea of what sort of rotation he can do and where he can do it, when a fixture list is this packed.

You can't just pick an 11 for a game and then see afterwards who is tired or can they all play again in a few days time and again a few days time again after that. They will all be burnt out by mid April if that is the case. There has to be a plan in place.

I'd actually be looking to the Watford game for rotation for a start. Especially with Salah & Mane playing 2 important games in the lead up to it, and it being the early kick off. They can both start the Benfica game and Man City games that week instead. This would mean that they would both be starting 3 games in 12 games rather than starting 4 games in 12 days, before playing against Man City. Add in the travelling involved too. It would mean that they are fresher for the City game, which is vastly more important that Watford.

Mo need to play he ,sat out most of the Arsenal game & the whole Forrest game ,

He needs to find rhythm for City game, also he will see Watford game as a chance for goals i just can't see him being rested for that ,

Yes Klopp is probably looking as far forward as the City game but not much further than that ,

As the result of that game will change the priority for the team ,

He sat out those games as he was injured. Mane was rested for Forest alright.

Salah is about to play games tonight, and again midweek. He can always come off the bench for 20-30 mins against Watford. I think he will be fine for rhythm going into the Benfica game and then Man City. It's not like he is coming in cold from 3 weeks off.

With Diaz, Salah & Mane all playing 2 important games in far away locations, 2 of them are gonna have to be rotated out for the Watford game IMO. Firmino will start and then probably Jota as his 2nd game is on Tuesday in a closer location.

Also, it's Watford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement