Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would rather see Danny McNamara called up and get a run out against Lithuania. Four CBs with Coleman being able to cover should be enough. Also have Manning whose mostly played CB this season there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh you would think so. McGuinness with 21s so leave him there. Only a matter of time before Dunne is in there anyway so should be now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

2-0 down at half time. Bad mistake from Savshak? there to let the Portuguese man through to get the second.

Zefi looks a class above everyone else on the pitch so far. He has this ability to just float past players, serious potential there if he can cut the mistakes out.

Worrying thing is Portugal are third seeds in this group, Bulgaria won their three matches in the first round so it's gonna be tough to qualify if we don't get a result here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I am a season ticket holder, cant make the Lithuania game next Tuesday night, the soccer tickets thread has never come back when boards was revamped.

I am looking to sell 2 tickets if anyone interested, and below face value , digital transfer of tickets can be done.

Will price them reasonably if anyone interested.

Thanks

How is Vata allowed to have that many tattoo's at 16? 😁

Portugal make it 4-1 with goals in the 93rd and 96th mins. Ireland had a couple of chances to make it 2-2. Hopefully Portugal do us a favour and beat Bulgaria on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very good performance in second half. 4-1 was very harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah 4-1 not a fair reflection based on what I was watching (40m onwards) but we looked a bit suspect at the back and Portugal took their chances well. Don't know much about this age group realistically and have not seen much of them play, Umeh looked good off the bench and I thought Vata looked pretty exciting too. O'Mahony has a good goalscoring record, I think that is maybe 5 in his last 6 games for Ireland or something and he has recently made his Cork City debut.

Darren Randolph commenting under the FAIs Instagram post about the lads being called up.

Hard to know what to make of that.

There was some moments of great individual quality, but also far too many bad mistakes. I don't think the way we were setup helped the lads. We just had too many of our flair players on at the start, many of whom were probably just trying a bit too hard to make things happen, which meant that we gave the ball away a lot. Considering the opposition, I think we were just far too open. Would have been better to put an extra body in midfield and keep things tight to start with at least.

I thought Portugal were only marginally better than us, but they were set up well they looked very balanced. That was probably the difference to get them the win.

It's hard not to have sympathy for him considering how good he has been for us. At the same time, he's not had a single minute of game time this season. If he had pushed for a loan in January and gotten a half dozen games under his belt, my guess is he would have made the team. Ultimately he didn't, and that's why he wasn't selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is the u-19 match on YouTube later also?

Tough on Randoloh for sure.

Great to see dunne in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You'd maybe reckon if they were competitive matches, Randolph would've been in. But for friendlies, it's nice to be able to include new faces to the setup where you can.

This. Later added he's joking and a comment about fishing but a strong whiff of people are ganging up on me here time to play the banter card imo.

Also some rumours it was him and/or his agent that had issues and went to the press when videogate happened.

19s going with a three at the back. Think Englands 19s have used three at the back in qualifiers last year. Hopefully Crawford is watching and looks to use it himself. Even if it's not until the next campaign when this group move up to 21s. Don't think it's being shown anywhere but is on the radio which can be found here http://livesportsfm.co.uk/player.aspx

• Advertisement

Was wondering if it was a back three or if Lawal is playing in midfield. Abankwah is a terrific talent but I don't think he is a wing back. Disappointing this game isn't on anywhere, if anyone hears of anything would appreciate a link posted!

1-0 down with five minutes gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any chance of Talbot getting minutes do you think? Little point in playing Bazunu in either match imho so now Travers is gone Kelliher is a nailed on starter. Talbot worth a half against Lithuania?

Maybe it is just the LOI fan in me though as there is little chance that we will ever have 3 goalkeepers injured at the same time

Talbot is there to just make up the numbers in this window I think given he lives locally. Kelleher and Bazunu will more than likely play a match each.

Half hour into the game and two subs already made with Sinclair Armstrong and Johnny Kenny gone off injured.

• Advertisement

1-1 James Abankwah with the equaliser. We've had the better chances so far and Kenny was unlucky not to score earlier on.

http://livesportsfm.co.uk/player.aspx best you'll get is live commentary.

Didn't take long for England to make it 2-1.

There is probably no outstanding or obvious candidate as 4th choice keeper behind the three young keepers we have. But I'd imagine Talbot is happy to be called into the squad and train with the team, even if he has very little chance of playing. Could the same be said for Randolph?

I don't think Talbot should be given a game. He's not even the best keeper in the LOI and you couldn't say he is in the form of his life and deserves a run out in the way maybe some LOI players in the past have. A game each for Bazunu and Kelleher will do.

3-1 to England now, goalkeeper error by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

3-1 a minute into the second half.

Finished 3-1. Very even first half, and second half we had some half chances but couldn't get anything on target never mind convert anyway. Total of 15 attempts but only one on target all night, and hit the post once. Third goal came from a mistake when England took a corner and the keeper dropped the ball. Ireland players protested it was kicked out of his hands and one of our lads was booked in the process. Worryingly we had five yellows and they all came in the first 25 minutes of the second half.

Hayes had a good game when he came on for Kenny, and we seemed to focus our attacks down the left in the second half through Adaramola and O'Neill. By the sounds of it Adaramola absolutely ran himself into the ground and we pressured them mostly in the last 24 after they started making all their subs. From the commentary we played better than I thought we would but losing our two best players and then conceding so early in the second half must have been a big blow to the lads

Portugal will be a tough game. They beat Armenia 4-0 and will be looking to out score England to have goal difference in their favour for the winner takes top spot game between them and England. Our lads will have to watch the fouls with five lads a booking away from missing the Armenia game, and probably already without Armstrong and Kenny.

Hopefully Travers doesnt miss any of Bournemouths run in. Our form keeper at the moment. Hoped we would have got to see him in 1 of the games. Future is bright for our goalie options. He'll be in PL next year.

One question for people.if for some mad reason like covid hit our 3 main keepers who would people rather have in goals, Randolph or Talbot?

For a game that matters, Randolph for me no question anyway. Has the experience, and he's done brilliantly for us before without playing club ball. No fear of nerves or anything impacting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Fwiw id like to see Bonham or O'Leary in as 4th choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Lads, Talbot is in to make up the numbers in training because he's local and there was a late drop out and he's been in before. Will ye relax.

This is true.

What would lads like to see out starting lineup as in the second game? I dont think he will experiment against the Belgians. Id go for something like this

Gk Kelleher

Cb Dunne

Cb o'Shea

Cb Collins

Rwb Doherty

Lwb Manning

Dm Cullen

Cm Knight

Cm Browne

Fw Ronan

Fw Parrott

We really are blessed to have gotten the three lads coming through. If not another single option good enough to play for the senior team was to come through in the next ten years it's not gonna be a issue. Bazunu just turned 20, and Kelleher will be turning 24. Bazunu has another 15 years before he reaches Randolph's age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What ever happened Callum O'Dowda at Bristol City?

Out of contract in the summer though Bristol can extend it for an extra year but could see them letting him go in the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What happened to O'Hara? He was looking promising for a while. Last I heard he was benched by Burton Albion

Dont forget Travers. Only 23 in May. Only onw out if the 3 with PL and Championship experience.

I didn't, mentioned all three in the first sentence.

Post edited by sugarman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Anyone know - Is the Belgium game on Saturday being televised live on an Irish channel ?

Only on Sky Sports I think. They've always been the channel to show friendlies and think the nations league games will be similar. Could possibly be no senior games on RTE this year.

Ok just found it odd you didnt go into his specifics. Just Bazunu and Kelleher.

O'Dowda could end up in League 1. Wont do his international prospects any harm if he gets fit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not sure if allowed but the tickets and travel section disappeared with the Boards revamp…

Pair of Block 114 tickets available for Saturday. €55 each on TM but just looking to recoup the season ticket cost so fifty for the pair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement