Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a classy design for sure, there's a nice blue one for sale on TZ. I'd say the brand is here to stay but if those prices will last is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

I see that. A limited edition of 200 they say…..if true then 10 percent are on c24….

I have something special due next month so this may move on.

Looking forward to that! I can't remember you buying anything substantial for quite some time. Any teaser?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement

Strong trend lately with the white Omega divers 😁

It’s a custom Dornblüth and Sohn. On order since last March!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Thanks, yea I put the White strap on the other day while the bracelet is away getting repaired. Think it'll look great for the summer. Well, the week we've booked in Croatia anyway 👀🙄

i hope you do better weather wise with croatia than i do, love it, have been 4 or 5 times, but i generally get the worst week of the summer 😂

Last time I was there was a mega heatwave in Europe, over 40C in Croatia for days on end. The sea was lukewarm, so no relief there either. Not good!

I'll take Irish summer weather like today anyday, almost 20C here locally, mostly sunny and a slight breeze, perfection 😁 In fact I think I'm getting a tan 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Love Croatia, really is a beautiful country. Last time I was there I saw a summer lightening storm, with forked lightening over the sea that was breath-taking. And the fish....oh my god the tasty fish.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A good while back my late 60's LIP Nauti-Ski stopped working. Right PITA. The chap in the UK who does electric watches stopped dealing with them. There's a few French guys that will, but 300 quids of the realm, a good bit more than I paid for the watch itself and I would have to send the horse to France. So I figured donor movement. They're 200 quid. So I looked for a whole donor watch. The gold plated stuff nobody wants really and more like 100 quid. Yes I am a cheap bastid... 😁 One popped up, a LIP "Sportville" only in steel and a very 70's case.

So I got it and it was stopping evey so often. Looked closely and the hands were bent and binding. Out with the hammers and spanners and that was fixed. But as I looked more closely noticed that the hand posts on the Nautics are way taller/longer than in other models, so a direct transplant would be off the table. Feck. So I still had a non working watch. After further fecks led to a sure feck it, I decided to attack the non worrking movement.

Very cool cases these Compressors. Anyway at the top end of that coil is a curved plate that is a blonde one away from the balance wheel. Now after reading the movement manual(in French..) the width of that blonde one happens to be trés importante. Too close and it'll overbank, too far away and it won't run. Hmmm, sez I... So I loosened the coil screws and with the trepidation of a pogo stick champion in a minefield carefully edged it a little closer and back etc. And it worked! Yay, an' that. Fiddled with the regulation while I was there. On the wrist it's running around two seconds per day of true. Result.

So now I have two leccy LIP's working.

My latest once donor Sportville on the left is about as 1970's as the Bay City Rollers and just as much of an "acquired taste" , if there's any taste to be found. Lord knows I'm not known for it. A friend of mine who likes most of my watches and really likes a couple, took one look and said "nope. too far. nope". 😁 I slapped it on a 70's bracelet I had(stamped "Empire Made" of all things. Hong Kong apparently). I do have the correct LIP Milanese bracelet for it, but it's too big for me.

I'm glad I saved it TBH. Tearing it apart for spares wouldn't have appealed to me. Sentimental eejit that I am. But it is technically a spare yer honour.

It does show how something as simple as a case can make a huge difference in feel and the feel of quality. Same movement, but very different. The Sporville has heft but empty heft if you know what I mean and the feel of the crown in setting feels "cheaper". The Nautic feels way more expensive(and they were at the time) and the crowns are butter smooth in action, like pulling focus on a vintage Leica. The movement even sounds better; strong and ringing, rather than weak and tinny. Mad.

The colourway on the LIP Nautic was designed by Pierre Cardin of all people. French flag naturally. LIP were the first brand to sport a cadran lumineux avec heures et aiguilles en radium because the owner was a friend of Marie Curie.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That really is stunning, the white rubber really suits too.

Never knew that a white Ploprof were a thing! I've toyed with getting a standard Ploprof one for a long time but never brave enough to pull the trigger.

I am negotiating on a blue/grey SM300 tho so fingers crossed 🤞

Never came across a white Ploprof either until Thorpe bought one. Like him, I like the idea of a big fat shouty watch on my wrist. The Ploprofs are all that, would prefer an orange one myself, but damn, they are so ugly.

In other news, I tried on a Royal Oak Offshore today for the first time. Suits me well, I really like the size and feel and the quality which is a clear step up from Rolex. And that's not even mentioning the art and precision of that bracelet. And I guess there is no other loud big watch out there that is a step up again. No thank you to anyone suggesting RM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I got this back from the watch menders recently. It would run and stop but a new balance assembly has it running away nicely. It's a well worn '71 Seiko 5 sports, 7019-6040 with internal bezel. "Water Proof" to 70M when new, a young man might have been tempted to dive with it, his twin hose regulator and chest mounted ABLJ.

I have looked at a few Ploprof's kinda a cool watch. But on wrist its enormous and not just diameter and thickness, the side to side on it is obnoxious. Take you JC and add 50% of a neck out the sides. Its a novelty watch not a wearable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Some day out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A lovely day indeed. Hope all are enjoying it. Fitz is getting the grub in anyway. 😁

Had to drop off something for a friend earlier. He tells me ah sure it's only 15 minutes away. Sez I yeah if you're driving the Starship feckin' Enterprise. So I thought I'd time it. So even though the yoke on my wrist has one of the finest chrono movements ever produced, rated to multiple G's, saw service in Starfighters, nuclear bombers and artillery, what does muggins here do? Uses the feckin' bezel... 🤦‍♂️ I need adult supervision, I really do. 😁

PS it's 25 minutes away. The lying bastard. 😂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Need no time here

• Advertisement

It's been quite a day, and now shag Mrs O'Reilly, I mean finish the dinner 😉

Looks like you're bezel timing something too. 😁

😉 Had it set for the baked potatoes earlier.... In my defense? I wasn't rocking a chrono 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Pics or it didn’t happen … And I don’t mean the dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Picked this up from Micks_Address a little while ago, absolutely beautiful watch.

I didn't really have anything that I was comfortable wearing while engaged in sports or outdoorsy stuff, so this will work perfectly.

I really like the bracelet on that VC, does it size with normal pins/ screws?

I have have been staring at my GP lately, they have used spring loaded pins within the removable link. There is no visible artifact on the exterior of the link, so the removable and non removable links all look the same from the side of the watch. The access to these springs, is on the edge of the link so there is no clue seen at the rear of the bracelet.

Pic of the GP,

Post edited by njburke on

Bracelet is one of the best. Mine could do with a polish.

It uses a screw for the links. Never changed one.

Taking the bracelet off is also a screw and an internal bar then between the screw at each side. Tiny things prob no more than a mm long. Could lose it in a flash.

it is the fiddliest bracelet i ever removed i have to say, those screws are tiny!

• Advertisement

My GS links are similarly fixed, a bar through both links then two micro screws to secure.

Advertisement