Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assault victim

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It takes that long to get from arrest to hearing and sentencing that their suspended sentences will often have been served before they're sentenced for another matter so there is no sentence to activate.

that's a joke,, so, someone commits a crime 2yrs ago, and is free until their 'day in court' ,, gets 2 1/2 years "suspended" , and effectively they've only 6 months to 'not' commit another one,, don't sound right at all that.

?

If someone receives a 18 month suspended sentence, but their next offence takes two years to get to conviction, then their suspended sentence will not be activated

I think you mixed yourself up a little bit

so it's from the court date that any sentence starts (assuming the scumbag crim was breathing free air in meantime) ; and the 'suspended' portion can't be activated, as that could well be up come the more recent court appearance.

my bad,, still fqd up, even moreso,, should the sentence not be activated from when crime took place, regardless of when the hearing was heard? fking joke,, defend yourself against a savage, get book thrown at ya

Why would you want a sentence to start from the date of the offence? Sure that means someone wouldn't do a lot of time in prison?

maybe I'm picking you up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The courts couldn't activate a suspended sentence just on the basis of an allegation. What happens if the case is dismissed?

You've now locked a person up for nothing.

The amount of pointless remands in cases needs to be drastically reduced which would see cases finalised far quicker. Not a popular opinion with the legal profession however, less €.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

My apologies fellow boardsies. I was drunk and upset and just needed to vent. The so called justice system in this country leaves me very frustrated.

To clarify some above points. The suspended sentence was imposed nov 19th 2019. The new crime took place jan this year and scum was in court in just three weeks. Well within the time frame of the suspension. He had also gone from 10 previous convictions to 19 in that time. even allowing for the assault on me that leaves 8 other convictions during the suspension without serving any time at all. I really cannot express enough my disgust at this. He repeatedly breaks the law with no consequences.

I hope to never be in this position again, but if I am then no way am I holding back. I could have inflicted some serious injury to these two with their own knife (which never really featured in court despite being recovered on scene) and my excuse would be self defense. Even if I got prison it would seem that that is simply carte blance to commit numerous other crimes without ever spending a day inside.

Ah, enough venting from me, probably best to let this thread die and not constantly be "picking at the scab" as it where. I whole heartily thank everyone who posted over the last few years but at this point I am just wallowing.

Oh and thank you Leffesem for the R&R link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think the idea is that if they're convicted for the second offence that they should have to serve the amount of suspended sentence remaining on the date the second offence occurred, rather than on the court date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement