Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Displacing gas from domestic use will take a lot longer - for obvious reasons - there are millions of homes for every gas power plant and the alternatives (heat pumps) represent a huge capital investment for the average householder.

Displacing gas for heating/cooking may never happen - the cost to retrofit homes to use heat pumps is astronomical expense for the country. Not to mention the fact that our grid could not handle it if we somehow did convert most home heating to electric-based.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Displacing gas for heating/cooking may never happen - the cost to retrofit homes to use heat pumps is astronomical expense for the country. Not to mention the fact that our grid could not handle it if we somehow did convert most home heating to electric-based."

Err.. Bord Gais and the building of the Natural Gas network only started in 1976, we really haven't been using gas that long for hot water. Switching again can and will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭gjim

I believe it will happen but slowly. I wouldn't worry about it happening too fast for the grid to handle the load - the growth of renewable electricity capacity will be multiples of the growth in electricity demand for domestic heating.

The reason I think it's inevitable is that it's not unprecedented - I'm old enough to have experienced a transition like this happening before. In the 1980s, the country switched from heating largely using open fires (and portable gas units) to using (oil based) central heating and this required a massive retro-fit to homes, installing rads etc. I remember holding tools for the old man when he installed radiators in our 1970s built semi-D when I was a kid.

Adding rads and a boiler is drastically different compared to making a house well insulated and airtight enough to facilitate a heat pump.

Orders of magnitude in the difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In fact, making a house insulated enough to make heat pumps effective (a BER of B2 or so) would make heating by anything suitable much cheaper and whether it is gas or electricity would make little difference. Gas is currently about one third of the cost of electricity and the efficiency multiplier for a heat pump is also about 3, so cost would be similar. Gas would not need a retrofit, while the heat pump would need much larger rads (asuming air to water heat pump).

Heat recovery ventilation would start to become worthwhile as well. If gas becomes hugely costly, the payback time for retrofit investment becomes much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yep, I'm also old enough to remember when houses were all heated by coal fireplaces and electric storage rads. I remember how every winter the air in Cork city would be thick with smoke from all the fireplaces. It was really disgusting and you'd have to paint the walls inside and out once a year because they would get black from all the smoke!

I clearly remember when my parents got gas heating. It was a massive job, all the flooring had to be torn up and they had to use kango hammers to drill through the poured concrete floors to lay the pipes for the rads. It was a major job.

And BTW I'm not even that old, it most of have been around the late 80's or early 90's when the gas network came to Cork City.

Obviously it won't be trivial, but it is definitely doable.

Of course another option for citys and other urban areas are district heating systems, perhaps feed by very deep geothermal energy. That would allow you to avoid needing to insulate heavily, though it would still be a good idea, living in a well insulated home is such a massive quality of life improvement in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Clearly🙄 you have no idea of concepts like base load, balancing plants etc. based on that post

Stuff like Cost Benefit Analysis etc. appears to be alien concepts to those who control energy policies in this country atm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Currently wind generation is 52MW and renewables = 1.6%, and thermal generation is at 100.22% while exporting 1.86%.

Not a good time for wind. There will be days like this.

Insulation is a separate issue.

Heat pumps aren't special. A poorly insulated home will more difficult and will cost more to heat regardless of the source of the heat - gas, oil, coal or electric heat pump. Whatever the source of heat for your home, insulating as much as possible makes sense.

I think there is a widely held impression that heat pumps can only work in highly insulated homes due to their earlier association with modern well insulated new builds especially "passive home" type levels of insulation.

But this isn't the case - all heating systems just add heat to the inside of your home. If your gas boiler is putting 200 kWh of heat into your house every day (say a 35kW boiler running for 6 hours a day), then you need a heat pump that can do the same. Since heat pumps run constantly, the calculation is a bit different - in this case a 10kW output heat pump running constantly will put 240kWh of heat into the house every day.

To heat a drafty poorly insulated house using a heat pump you'll need a unit with larger capacity (which will cost more to buy and to run) but that's the same with gas or burning coal or any other home heating technology. Burning gas doesn't magically change this - my parents' house is old and difficult/impossible to bring up to modern heating standards and their gas boiler struggles to keep the house at a comfortable temperature. They would have the same problem with a heat pump system.

The problem with heat pumps isn't technological - it's financial. The running costs - fuel and maintenance - to generate the same amount of daily heat are only a bit less than using a gas boiler for now - given that until last year gas was "cheap". But the capital costs are much higher so it's difficult to financially justify the higher initial cost of the unit versus a gas boiler even considering the whole lifecycle costs. This is especially true for "legacy" homes where the existing pipework and radiators can be considered a sunk cost and so are seen as effectively "free" when coupled with a boiler.

But this is just a legacy issue - burning coal seems a "cheaper" way to heat a house that currently only has open fireplaces considering the capital cost of installing central heating and radiators, etc.

But gas and oil will inevitably get more expensive - whether because of global forces or due to introducing carbon taxes. While the cost of heat pumps will fall - they are a mass produced item and so the more sales, the more production, the cheaper they'll get. In many western countries, heat pump/underfloor is now the most common form of heating in new builds. We've seen the same thing play out with EVs, grid solar PV/wind, battery storage, etc. which were all initially more expensive for many use cases than the legacy alternative but then the economics flip. I'm confident heat pumps are on the same path just that it'll be a bit slower.

• Advertisement

You should listen to what Birdnuts has to say, BKtje. He doesn't know the difference between power and energy and yet sees himself as an expert on grid management. 🙄

If you install a heat pump in a poorly insulated home, it will struggle to heat the home. The heat loss from the home is too great for a heat pump to compensate, since max power output of a heat pump is nowhere close to that of gas/oil or solid fuel.

Its not just a case of matching heat output from your gas boiler with heat pump instead - heat pumps operate at lower temperatures over longer periods of time, whereas combustibles tend to operate for shorter periods, but hotter. Often in houses the house gets warm quite fast after heating has been on, then cools afterwards as heat is lost from the house. To try and match this energy input using a heat pump over 24hr period would end up with consistently too cold house.

The transition from gas/oil will not be as simple as "slap a heat pump there instead of boiler" - it will require massive retrofits to more than half of housing stock in entire country. I agree the problem is not technological as such, its financial - does the state have the money to do all this? Do we have the labour available to do all this? I would say no.

So they will go with our current plan. Tax everyone for not retrofitting their own homes, so that only the wealthy can do it...

I think you misunderstand the workings of a heat pump.

Heat pumps work by transferring heat from a cold source to a hot source - like a fridge does. The hot end in a fridge is the coil at the back, and the cold is inside the fridge. Fridges are well insulated because they need to be to work efficiently.

Now, efficiency for a heat pump (Coefficiency of Performance - COP) is governed by the temperature difference between the hot and cold ends - the bigger the difference, the harder the heat pump has to work and lower the efficiency. Now a gas boiler will heat the water to 60c to 80c, and the water is pumped around radiators where the heat goes into the room. A heat pump doing this same job would have little advantage over an electric heater if the cold end is at zero c. However, in an underfloor installation, the water temperature might be as low as 35c, and the cold end in a passing steam might be at 5c which might give a COP of 5 - a COP of 4 is considered good, and 3 is quite often considered good enough. Summer performance is better than winter, but then the heating is off in the summer.

Now a large output gas boiler is much cheaper to buy and install than the same output from a heat pump, plus maintenance and life time become issues - not to mention noise.

If gas is one third of the price of electricity (as it is for me) then the running cost of a good heat pump would be about the same as gas - but if the COP is less than 3, then forget it.

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/coefficient-of-performance-seasonal-performance-factor/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ignoring the condescending tone of your post, I asked you a question and to make it easier for you to answer I simply requested your source. No explanations needed from you on how you came to your conclusions, simply the source of your information. I once more kindly ask you for your source.

If there is a lack of knowledge on my part I will use your source to better my understanding so I don't make the same mistake twice.

I am no expert either but am simply trying to understand where his conclusions are coming from. Thank you on possibly clarifying his position 😅

You make some reasonable points with some I disagree with.

First, can we drop the strawman stuff? It's easy to dismiss my argument by summarizing it as "its as simple as slapping a heat pump instead of a boiler". I've absolutely never claimed it would be as simple as swapping a boiler for a heat pump. I've said repeatedly the transition will be non-trivial and that it will happen slowly - decades - and that at the moment the financials make it difficult to justify a retro-fit even if it works for new build. I've acknowledged all this.

You have a point with your second paragraph - the patterns of heating are different - which is an added inefficiency of using a heat pump IF you can live with cold and warm periods during the day for example if the house is empty say from 9 til 6 or you don't mind temperature drop overnight, gas gains efficiency by allowing you to let the temperature drop during that period. Gas is more responsive, no argument there. Is this a deal breaker for the technology? I don't honestly think so. Where I currently live has underfloor heating connected to a large district heating (gas) boiler and is similarly unresponsive - you get used to it quickly.

But I don't agree with your first point. A home constantly leaks a certain amount of heat (proportional to the temperature differential with the outside) and to maintain an inside temperature your heating appliance has to have enough heat generating capacity to compensate for this leakage.

The capacity issue is the same for any home heating technology - an undersized gas boiler will struggle as will an undersized heat pump - e.g. my parent's old drafty empty nest house basically cannot be upgraded to modern BER standards without a complete re-build and cannot be heated fully by their 35KW gas boiler - so they turn off the radiators in some of the rooms so that the others are comfortable - or also fire up their wood stove in the sitting room. Capacity is not an argument against heat pumps - you can get huge heat pumps if you're willing to pay just like you can get huge boilers, or run multiple units, or burn stuff in multiple stoves, etc.

Arklow bank offshore wind farm looks to be pushed back 3 years from a 2025 open date to 2028 due to SSE switching over to the new application process.

The benefit of switching allows an increase in the farm capacity from 500MW to 800MW.

Your heat pump would have a very short life & be insanely expensive if you fit it in a poorly insulated house, even if it were a "huge" heat pump. While heat pumps are intended to be "on" 24/7, they dont actually do anything for most of that time. The intention is that they go when the temperature drops, and then switch off. So overall power drain is quite low.

Were your heat pump to be actually going 24/7 you would be wasting eyewatering amounts of electricity, and the lifespan of your pump would be vastly degraded. Totally uneconomical to fit them in houses that are not very well insulated. The idea that you just get a bigger capacity heatpump to compensate for greater heat loss in the home is just incorrect. Totally wrong.

I'm not an expert but that doesn't sound right at all - I'm happy to be corrected. Heat pumps are not idle "most of the time" - their innovation is to use a variable rate compressor - so they don't work like a fridge or a air conditioner which click on and off like you say - they're absolutely designed for continuous operation.

The rate of compression can vary during the day but typically the power draw variance isn't huge. This is what I take from the likes of this UK study - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037877882100061X - although it shows a profile of aggregate heat pump demand. It suggests a peak to trough ratio of 3:5 or so in terms of electricity consumption during the day.

I've found nothing that suggests they get clapped out from being used this way.

Insulation affects the running cost regardless. A poorly insulated house is going to require x kWh of heat to keep comfortable; for gas this costs 6 or 7c per kWh, for a heat pump it's 8c or 9c according (someone else calculated this earlier in this thread), burning coal costs about 13c per kWh from what I recall, etc.

So yes a kWh of heat from a heat pump is currently more expensive in terms of fuel consumption but it's claimed that this is balanced by much lower maintenance costs for average use. But if you require 400kWh of heat because your house is poorly insulted it's going to cost you one way or the other.

You remind me of those chancers in the Irish energy market that claim to provide "100%" green energy, yet are putting up their prices due to "gas and oil inflation" ie. utterly clueless when it comes to pricing grid energy or any notion of concepts like fuel mix, the loss of conventional power plant efficiency due to accommodating wind power etc.

• Advertisement

Surely that is a question for the regulator. Someone (the Minister) should put him on notice to investigate that particular question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

According to Eirgrid dashboard, Currently wind is only given us about 10% of our electricity. We got to install more solar panels.

Spain the country that tax people using solar.

It did, it doesn't anymore. Was a stupid policy

That's better. I believe it was around Seville region.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Gas and coal making up 81% of electricity generation at the moment. 

Gas on its own 61% 

Corrib contributes 50% of that gas. 

Corrib gone in 3 years. 

What’s the plan then?

Those were the figures when I posted. Effectively all renewables were being exported.

Ah OK. I was looking at the Eirgrid dashboard and had over 500 MW of wind energy generated around that time. Sadly only about 10% that is required.

• Advertisement

Just on the topic of Spain mentioned earlier, they are going all in on solar

Spain added around 3.3GW of new PV capacity in 2021, according to provisional figures released by the country's grid operator, Red Eléctrica de España (REE).

This result compares to around 3.4GW in 2020 and 4.2GW in 2019.

Over the past year, the installed power of PV technology has increased by almost 30% (28.8%), adding more than 3,300MW to the national generation park, which has allowed its electricity production to experience an increase of 36.7%.

Advertisement