Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking in the lane behind my house

Options
  • 23-03-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My back garden is tiny, We needed an extension built for medical reasons 2 years ago, and not we have basically no back or front garden.

But we do have a lane behind my back wall which isn't used.

Others in the area have done it,

Does anyone know how to go about asking if you can take it in?

We'd pay for everything, I have overhead photos of the garden/lane and marked out what we'd like to do.

But we are not sure who to contact or what to ask them.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You may already own it as part of the house deed. Get a property reference done in the PRA.

If it's publicly owned though, you would have to apply to the County Council to buy it and absorb it into the property, but a) they mightn't want to sell it for a number of reasons like they need access to water and sewers under it and b) third parties might object to the sale anyway.

If it is a Council process you have to go through, you'll have to pay all the admin costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

It's a council house, I think most of the houses in the area are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Are you at the end of the lane ?

The house on the other side of the lane might "want" their side of the lane, if you are planning to take your side of the lane over.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

You answered your own question.

Contact the council about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I have contacted them, I'm just asking what others have done.

I'm the end of a terrace - so my house would be at the start of the lane - there's a big gate up and there has been for over 10 years (since I moved in)

No one used the lane as they don't have keys to the gate.

There would be 2 or 3 hours which would have part of the lane behind their back wall, we wouldn't be taking there back lane, just the lane behind our wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Does the lane have 2 entrances? If not and you take the lane, you are blocking your neighbours accessing a potential rear entrance, all they need to do is put a gate on their back wall to get into the lane. Is there a house directly behind yours? If so, they could potentially argue that they are entitled to the lane as much as you are.

I do know of someone whose house had a rear entrance into a laneway/courtyard (Only one entrance to it), they were the end house. They fought all attempts to close off the lane from neighbours and the council as they said they bought the house with a rear entrance and they were not willing to give that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

id be more worried about the extension. Did you get your message planning? Exemptions only apply ply if you have something like 25 sq m of garden left

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

You could ask the neighbours how they went about it. I rented a house in Dublin 4 with a similar set up. Assumed the lane was not used until our dog managed to jump in there. Turns out the ESB owned it. I wouldn’t assume the extensions done are compliant. Talk to the neighbours first before the ones that have done it are getting enforcement orders in the door.

Advertisement