Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box buzzing

Options
  • 23-03-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

We have a fuse box in our hotpress upstairs which is for the 2 electric showers upstairs. It started buzzing a while back. Sometimes its louder than others and you can hear it walking past the hotpress in the hall. Also noticed a small bit of suit/smoke marks or whatever on the box.

Called an electrician to come out and have a look and he just told me that its normal, said they are usually badly designed and even if he replaced it, it would likely just start buzzing again. He said there were quieter parts you could get but they are expensive. He said it wasn't an issue. Even when I asked about the slight smoke marks he said it was fairly normal.

Is this really the case?? The buzzing is annoying and did concern us, flicking the main switch off/on sometimes reduced the noise. But figured the smoke marks are a bad sign.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Photo of the fusebox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Smoke marks would not be a good sign alright, I am not an electrician, but I have heard boxes buzzing when showers are operating - particularly the plastic types like you have shown. It is 50hz mains hum vibrating on the fuse box case. Just tightening or loosening a cover screw will often stop the case resonating. You will still hear a normal low hum, caused by the heavy load going through the shower circuit, but the buzz, is the fuse box case vibrating in resonance.

The smoke marks would need to be looked at though - might just be heat dis-colouring dust, but better to get it checked. There is a natural build up of heat on parts of the fuse box (over heavy load circuits), but it should never be enough to actually smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

This looks like 2 x Relay Units.. Do You have storage heating? This will Hum when the Storage Heating Circuit is activated (by a time clock).

Makes sense, if you put a bit of pressure on it the buzzing is reduced, although the screws are tight.

We have a hot water tank, heated by oil/back boiler in stove. Flicking those switches just seems to knock off power to the 2 showers. Its not a switch per shower, either switch knocks off both. Figured the leftmost was the switch for the entire board? Which just happens to have one other switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Hard to see properly, but the left most module is an RCD or RCBO. Second from left is an MCB, probably overcurrent protection for the showers, if it's 32A. Or it could be a 6A MCB for the control circuit.

Is the buzzing there constantly or only when one of the showers is in use?

Do you have a picture of the smoke marks?

I don't think it's permitted to install anything electrical in a hot press anymore. Could be a messy job to replace.

• Advertisement

Buzzing is always there, even when showers are not in use. You can kind of see the smoke marks in the image in previous post. I swiped my finger across one bit, where the clean line is.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

That just looks like dust to me. Is there a hole in the ceiling above the enclosure? Could be coming from the attic. If you look in the attic above the hot press, you might see similar black dust on the insulation.

If it was caused by smoke, there would have to be a very obvious fault inside the electrical enclosure, like burnt cabling, which the electrician would have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

That's a priority unit to ensure that only one shower can be used at a time to avoid overloading the incoming ESB supply cables. The two contactors on the right of the picture provide power to the two showers, but are interlocked so that only one can be energised at a time. The buzz is likely to be coming from whichever contactor is on and is fairly normal. The black marks look like dust to me, the contactors run slightly warm due to losses in the coils, which creates a convection current and deposits dust from the air as the warm air passes over the outside of the CU. Replacing the contactors would probably quiet it down for a while, alternatively if it's keeping you awake at night you could just about fit a small timer to the panel to break the control circuit at night so both contactors would be off. Neither shower would work though unless the timer is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Was it a registered electrical contractor that came out

did he remove the cover and check

did he do any testing

he should have issued a notice of potential hazard as it’s not permitted to mount a distribution board in the hot press

Ok, all that makes sense. You could be right about the dust (similar to what @Doolittle51 said). There is an opening in the ceiling not far from that.

The guy diagnosed this from a phone call and a photo 😄. Was too busy to call out, so I was going to get another electrician. I have other jobs to get done so I'll still likely get them to take a look in case.

Whats the deal with this sort of situation? I'm assuming the buidling regs at the time did permit it to be installed in there but have changed since. Are you forced to change it if work ever needs doing on it? Similar to the time we had our chimney repaired, we had to get a new vent installed in the room with the stove as the regulations changed since it was installed, even though they only had to rebuild the chimney stack and had nothing to do in the room with the stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Change it for a proper one and change your electrician... its impossible to know but i suspect cheap box... electrical stuff needs to be of good quality... I expect it be changed in an hour + the unit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It was never permitted to be installed in a hot press

I think you should get a rec to call to check and test if you are concerned about burning. I don’t think a diagnosis from a picture is appropriate in this instance.

You don't know but you still recommend to swop out the unit?

That's sound electrical advise

He asked for opinion and i gave mine to get a proper electrician to have a look... you are happy to give your opinion and i can exercise my right to same... Any electrician that is happy with smut marks needs to be gone and the said electrician questioned the standard or the unit...

Seeing you seem to know everything what's your problem...

My problem is you don't seem to know anything about electrical work yet are advising replacement

I did not advise any such thing... i am a qualified electrician but gave no such advise... you just waffle on and on...

That's not electrical advice... If something electrical is suspect change...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you just have a pumped shower you shouldn't need any of this complexity, this kit if for 'electric' shower which heat the water and have huge power demand so running two at a time would blow the main fuse.

For a boost/pumped shower a normal switched 3amp spur for each with 30mA RCD protection at the main board would be fine, no issue running both at the same time...

• Advertisement

4 posts on this thread

what’s your electrical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

I looks like you did in post 12. Change it for a proper one you said. To me it looks like dust, not smut/smoke marks, but closer inspection needed. More evidence needed anyway before suggesting swapping boards and elecricians.

Maybe something else is causing the buzzing. With no showers on, there should probably be no current flow at that board.

The evidence is in the OP when the electrician said bad design and expensive to replace... such rubbish from tradesman which is the reason for my comments... Did the OP tell you it was dust as i think he said in his post smut or something like that...

So you did in fact recommend changing the board, based on the OPs own diagnosis. Then talk about the standard of tradesmen giving a diagnosis without seeing the board...

The boards consist of 2 contactors, current sensors, and mcb/RCD. What do you think the buzzing could be amongst those items that only happens in poor quality boards? And how does "smut" only occur in said boards? And how did this smut/smoke get on the front surface of the board, but little or none on the angled surface above the devices... Surely that should be black....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

I'm delighted to see this post as I've just had a unit fitted in my house as I've installed another electric shower and it buzzed constantly over the last few days, I had my electrician back and he checked everything and could find no fault but he agreed that it was not satisfactory for it to buzz continuously. He called the manufacturer's technical rep to be told that Hager had recently changed some materials in their shower non-priority units which had caused the buzzing noise, they agreed to replace the unit with the original contact material FOC and its now on its way to my electrician. In the interim I turn it off at night until its replaced.

Hager have pretty good stuff unless it changed...

• Advertisement

No. There is more for you to inspect there now. Take your time now...

We have a board that might be fine, or might not be. But you recommend changing entire board.... Then say you didn't..

Which is it?

Advertisement