Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Just after buying 8 ton of 28-2.5-5 in bulk to be collected from merchant, 1100 euros, he's two artic loads coming in and that's the last bit of fertilizer he'll be able to get his hands on for the foreseeable if at all, the draw on money at the minute is getting out of hand, between that bit of fertilizer, what's already in the yard and a bulk load of meal after just been delivered their is circa 85k's worth of fert and feed in the yard...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

8 tonne for 1100 ….dose he have any more ………..your right tho a massive draw on cash flow atm but if one can draw a positive it’s in the fact that you actually have the fertiliser ….there’s a lot of lads going to be in some hole because either fertiliser won’t be there to be got or the price will be out of reach and not economically viable …..I have fertiliser and bank of feed in yard ….and will add a fair wedge over comming months but what’s worrying me is facing inti spring summer 23 with feed and fertiliser at todays or higher level and an easing milk price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Im a long time vicious critic of dairy, but surely milk price will skyrocket when EU production inevitably falls off a cliff due to pre-emptive culling and underfed cows because of high feed/fert prices ?

Am I missing something?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Two words came to mind, price controls. I can't see Govt's letting food prices go to the moon. It'll make too many people too unhappy, which elects populists and bluffers.

• Advertisement

Milk is actually good value in the shops when you consider the nutritional content. You can even buy a litre of organic milk for around a euro in some shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

What way would they implement that?

Imports would have to be exempt…so only exports, ie. Irish produced food, could be controlled by gov?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

They'll find some way if they need to, a hungry population is the thing most governments fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

Will I put out my urea for silage, we got no big dry weather down here. Good cover of grass. I read that you should have rain soonish after spreading. But I want to go rolling soon too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is the demand and money out there to drive prices up high enough?

People have no choice but to buy diesel but food can be substituted to some degree for cheaper products

See it don't know the breakdown of what drives milk price but I'd imagine it isn't your litre in the shop.. isn't most of it going for drying and export or for cheese making?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Don't know either, but the high end sports supplements, powder to African countries will surely struggle to rise much while keeping volume steady.

Consumer products will probably see more of a shift toward own brand lower margin lines.

But would think beef margins will be slower to rise with inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yep, the rise of the "they're all agin us" brigade, has been facilitated by social media.

Listening to the two johnnies in the cab of the digger they drive for their wages whilst making stupid ignorant assumptions rather than actually learning about the industry they're in.

Any shred of credibility that organisation had is gone after thus kind of bullsh1t.

It makes it harder for the rest of us to fight the nonsense we're looking at in that other thread here about being "sick of propping up unproductive farmers" when this is the level from within the industry.

Then - the main organisations aren't much better, with the exception of ICMSA who actually advocate properly for their members.

The rest of us are properly f**ked with this level of representation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Not much to it. But even if there was, it's only in the Indo-Farming newspaper where no one outside the farmer community will see it. IFJ might have a wider audience, but press releases in it won't make the mainstream news either.

Anyone who wants to make a difference (be it IFA or whoever) needs to be aiming for RTE's Six-One or The Irish Times. If a lobby group's press release is only making it into farming newspapers, then they are not making their message relevant to the consumer.

If your message is in the mainstream news, then politicians listen and they will be looking for DAFM to do something. All of a sudden, it becomes easier to get a meeting with Dept officials. With food prices in the news at the moment, the farm lobby groups have an open goal but they can't kick the ball two feet ahead of them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The independent farmers article is one step up from piseogery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The article is farcical. Basing it all on a few pictures. Don't we know there's stock in yards and it's sold. Or at least that's the line being peddled. If the stock is there, and it's not being moved out then ya can assume it is not sold at all but there is something a bit more sinister going on.

Did a different rep of that group write that release? There was a previous one a few weeks ago on input costs if I remember right and it was bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

TBF Selling Fertilizer is a thin margin business for the merchant. If they have not abused the market before now why would it be advantageous to do it this year. Their sales in volume are gone down, meal volumes will fall too and if they are given credit on sales it doesn't bode well for their business model. Fertilizer is just expensive this year to rising gas prices and the war in Ukraine.  

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

While I have nothing to do with the independent farmers, and neither do I want anything to do with them, they do have a small point no matter how badly they made it.

I still don’t buy into the fact that the fertilizer that’s in stock in the yard can have daily price increases. Our local merchant here closes in a Wednesday. I was in one Tuesday evening and collect Urea at €900 a ton. My neighbour went in on Thursday morning after they were closed all day Wednesday and he was charged €1,000 for his. The pallets he collected were sitting in the yard when I was there on the Tuesday. Had he been there the Tuesday eve he would have got the exact same pallets for €900 as well.

I don’t see that as a fair way of charging for any product. The prices being charged seem to be based off the cost of replacing the stock being sold rather than the actual cost of the stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I don't doubt you and I'm sure it has happened in more than your place but an independent enquiry as called for is a stretch too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I agree with that too, I definitely wouldn’t be looking for an enquiry into it, I’m just making the point that there is some logic to their statement.

I can also assure you that method of pricing is taking place in the majority of co-op’s and merchants and they make no secret of it either. If you asked a price on fertiliser anywhere in the past few months you’d have been told the price is only being held for a few days and price is going up then and that would be regardless of what extra deliveries they had coming in the meantime.

I suppose so long as they stay operating them pricing structures when the price is (eventually I hope!) on the way back down then it should balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Not saying the lads are right but

Everything farmers buy goes up quicker than it goes down.

Everything a farmer sells goes down quicker than it goes up.

Look at the diesel going up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Was in the Co-op where i put in my order for fert a few weeks ago, CAN was €700 then, was told today it’ll be €1140 before long, that’s if they can get any. Would anyone buy it at that price? I thought €700 was nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Remember spring 2021. Fellas bought CAN for €205. Less than 18 months ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I can still get CAN for 205 euros but it all goes in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

We didnt spread enough of it when it was cheap

• Advertisement

Advertisement