Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

To be honest I've had no issues other than this one. I always get drawn to betas, can't resist😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I have the same issue with the high pitched noise on my phone. Really annoying. I'm on the feature drop beta for my sins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must be beta related so.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭breeno

Having the same call noise issue on the beta.

What's the route to get off the beta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As far as I'm aware.

Last time I checked it involved wiping the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Latest system update seems to be available now - 490MB download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Installed it earlier, curious to see if any performance changes.

Was at Hans Zimmer gig last night and recorded a video, when I went to listen back after the gig - unreal picture but no audio. Raging! Weird bug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Unfortunately a couple of features from the 12L beta have made it through to the main ROM.

Long press required on lock icon when smart lock is activated, slowing down the unlock process.

Split screen functionality now means that when you do a side bottom swipe to change apps when in split screen. It changes both apps, rather than just the bottom one.

Both of these things I'd use a lot, so will take some getting used to.

Will avoid it for as long as possible incase there's the usual Google dumb dumbs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just came here to see what you guys thought of this update. I'll hold off for now, nothing majorly wrong with the current update. I've seen a few reports of people who had no real issue before having the dreaded network drop after updating.

My P6 has been good, I've really had no issues. But it is majorly annoying feeling like every update is a gamble as to whether some critical element of the phone is ruined or not, and potentially not fixed for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I updated my P6 last night. Notice minor UI changes. Feels a bit snappier or animations are more fluid or something anyway. Haven't noticed any issues as of yet but I didn't really have any problems before either. I know people have had issues with this phone but for me personally it's been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Updated this morning and have noticed no issues. All looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Just left the house and noticed 5G appear on the phone for the first time. Changed it to 4G though as it gave a faster speed result and apparently not as sore on battery. I am not sure there is an advantage in 5G.

@mossie and anyone on the Beta programme

New update has this

• Improved call quality related to issues like Issue #224716473 that caused a high pitch noise during phone calls on some devices. Although we’re still investigating the root cause of this and similar issues, we’re planning additional improvements for future beta releases.

Also seems to have a fix to opt out and go back to stable

Separately, the issue that prevented Pixel 6/Pro devices from opting out and not being able to apply the stable public update should also be fixed. Please let us know if you still encounter issues or errors like “No valid operating system could be found.” Please note that opting out will cause a data wipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pixel Stand for €68.30 on Amazon useful tenner and a bit cheaper.

I had something odd with battery last two nights. Phone was dead in the morning. Didn't pass any heed first day, thought I just hadn't noticed the battery was low going to bed but it went from 80% to 0 from 11pm to 7am last night. Battery life was fine during the daytime. Haven't done this months update yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

Thanks for that, updating now. Hopefully it solves the call issue.

I know someone here has managed to get a Vodafone eSIM working, but my experience trying to set it up has been nothing short of crazy.

I've had at least half a dozen conversations with Vodafone's online chat, and have been into a store at least 3 times. This time was supposed to be the time I finally got it set up, as I had been told the only way to currently get it working is to order a physical SIM online, get it activated on your phone, and then go into a store and get it converted to an eSIM.

I went into the store today, and told him I had a Vodafone SIM that had been activated. They then told me that it had to be physically in the phone for 24 hours before you try to convert, otherwise the system would reject it. I swear, every time I go in there, the goalposts move. Now, I'm not sure whether I can go through the hassle of doing it. I would need to keep the Vodafone SIM in the SIM slot of my Pixel for at least a day, and then go into a Vodafone store, meanwhile my normal SIM will have to be put into a spare phone or something during this time. Craziness.

I can't remember who else got an eSIM set up, but surely they didn't jump through these hoops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

No issues setting up the esim its self once I got the barcode. I did have issues on the site it's self when trying to check out as it kept throwing error messages when trying to complete the check out. That's the vodafone site in general though.

I did have an issue when I was moving it from the Pixel 4a to Pixel 6, online chat told me you only had to scan it to new phone there was no need to remove it from the old one. That's not true though it only worked for me after deactivating the esim on the 4a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I did it through the VF app on the iPad.

Click Device & Sim, order a new SIM. Then I had an option to get an eSim. This generated a QR code which I scanned on the phone which then downloaded the eSim.

AFAIK, that option is gone. Can't see it on my account, or a friend's account (they've been with Vodafone forever). I believe they completely removed the online route due to 'security issues'.

• Advertisement

The problem is getting the barcode in the first place. Impossible online, and almost just as hard in-store.

I'd no issue with getting esim sorted. Had to go to store for them to create my account with a physical sim and then transfered it to the esim.

Regarding the hight pitched noise while on calls. The new beta download does seem to have fixed it. A good few calls now without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Another 28mb update available this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I read it fixes wireless charging problems!

Man, this phone was a right fúcking lemon for some users!

Luckily, I didn't have much problems, but I'm thinking of jumping to the new OnePlus 10, if I can get nice money for this.

Just fearing the next update will break this thing, no confidence in Google anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

Judging by how quiet this thread has gone I think its safe to assume that Google has a handle on updates. Until the November updater clusterf~ck, Pixels have had a fairly solid history. And they definately do not want a repeat of that again so testing has been enhanced.

OnePlus has a history of being great at supporting their current-gen phone, but anything phone more than a year old and the support and updates slow down. Only need to look at the OnePlus 9 which got Android 12 not long after soon after Google released it, but OnePlus 8 only received this a few weeks ago.

You'll never have that issue with a Pixel.

That might be a good thing though if you look at what Google did with the November update, I can't think of anything useful in Android 12 over android 11?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Weirdly enough, I'll praise Nokia as being the best, behind Google, on getting out Android versions.

Though they were part of the Android One (?) program, that meant they basically put stock onto their phones after an initial round of compatibility testing.

Any manufacturers still on that program?

I've had a couple of Nexus phones, but this is my first Pixel one and while I'm not having a bad time, I'm just nearly ready to move on now as I hit the 6 month mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

Post edited by Griffinx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

Nokia & Motorola are the only ones Im aware of. Nokia actually make a decent mid-range phone these days, but your not going to find the same bang for buck compared to the chinese manufacturers.

But the trade off for that is the potential privacy/security risks and other sketchy behaviours that come with a chinese brand.

• Advertisement

Thanks wassie I'll probably just end up sitting on it for now :)

Advertisement