Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Not as strange as the Korean who was captured in German uniform by the Allies on D-Day. It was discovered that he'd originally been conscripted by the Japanese, captured by the Russians at Khalkhin Gol in 1939, released into the (short of manpower) Red Army in 1942, captured by the Germans at Kharkiv in 1943, put into uniform and sent to Normandy as part of an Ostabteilung (a German unit consisting of ex-Russian soldiers) in 1944. Shipped to a prison camp in the US, he became a US citizen, dying in 1992.

If the story is true, then Yang Kyoungjong (for 'twas his name) may be the only person to have served in three different armies during WW2. Unfortunately, it probably isn't true as evidence is lacking and there is a lot of doubt about it.

Photo of a "Young Japanese" soldier captured at Utah beach who may (or may not) be the same person. Reports say that four "Asians in German uniform" were captured there that day:

(From the look on his face, it's not difficult to imagine him thinking "Three effing armies...right that's my lot, I'm done with this sh1t...")

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

No point having em gathering dust may aswell give to the lads that actually need and will use em. Our defense force is so badly ran and underfunded its pointless.

its more dangerous now than ever that them brain dead's are losing so badly it's gonna make them desperate and desperate is unpredictable...NATO really needs to give these morons a way out before auld vlad doubles down on his stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Back in the day, Grozny ( and Chechnya in general) was littered with un-exploded munitions, everything from rockets to mortars, but mainly rockets. The mortars worked much better in terms of the Nrs that exploded.

They d probably get lost on the way even if they could get there 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

The only "way out" at this stage is defeat and demilitarisation and nuclear disarmament.

Russia has lost militarily, economically and morally.

What needs to happen next is to rein in China and India.

If they trade with Russia then we don't trade with them.

It's like the old adage "you're either with us or against us".

If they don't play ball then they should face the same isolation as Russia.

They'd prob be alright in a defensive capacity like park it in a building and use it as anti tank but as an attacking asset out in the open? stone useless they offer about as much protection as umbrellas these days.

So long as there is no answer for nukes russia always has a hand unfortunately no one is going to make them demilitarize, china and india are the same boat and isolating them is a no go it d be drawing official lines for ww3.

The problem with nuclear weapons, and particularly on that scale, is that they completely change what a conflict is and remove the possibility of dealing with a despotic power that has them.

Every moral fibre says go on and save Ukraine but the miserable, awful and utterly frustrating reality of it is they’ve a shield or a doomsday machine, which is making them too dangerous to touch.

It’s the same pathetic tactic of a suicide bomber or a psycho with a machine gun in a some awful mass shooting. There nothing diplomatic, noble, respectable or anything else in this. It’s the worst aspect of humanity and the lowest of the low in terms of leadership or governance.

There’s no grand vision or anything optimistic just a stupid territory grab justified by a self told myth and backed up with a constant threat of unthinkable levels of violence and genocide.

Russia is demonstrating exactly what the risk has always been with nuclear weapons.

There isn’t really any possible scenario where there’s a winner. It would just be billions dead, either through direct impact of weapons, slow death by radiation poisoning or starvation and it would end modern civilisation. Billions of years of evolution ended by a psycho with too much power and a big red button.

They are the most stupid and dangerous thing humans have ever built. The fact that people - engineers with skills and intelligence actually sit down and design these things is just profoundly depressing.

This is where we are though. We aren’t looking at WWII or any of the smaller wars that happened since and those tactics don’t work in a situation like this.

It’s an impossible mess driven by I don’t know what tbh.

It’s sickening and utterly head wrecking. I’m at the stage I’ve practically no faith in humanity anymore. As a species we are just idiotic savages. Here we are in the 2020s and you’ve a country threatening the annihilation of civilisation, destroying lives, causing millions to have to flee as they wreck a whole country.

Despite all the progress, the development of liberal democracy, advances in human rights and freedoms and amazing technology and everything else we have achieved - art, culture, music, science, space exploration … here we are again … the ****ing doomsday clock (a metaphor that shouldn’t even have to exist) is threatening to tick to midnight and this happens again, and again and again …

The sheer arrogant stupidity of it is just beyond my comprehension and most of us are powerless to ever do anything about it and these psychopaths keep getting into absolute power in various societies and it just repeats and repeats and repeats.

Goodnight!

The thing is it might not just be humans... it might be a life thing... it's a theory why we don't see signs of life elsewhere in the universe. Species advance so far that they destroy themselves within a relatively brief period. It's a depressing thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have been thinking.

I think Putin's request that the west pay in roubles (incidentally i have just realized it is spelt roubles not rubles just shows how seldom the currency is in the press) is a mistake. And not just that it shows Putin is not receiving good advice and is not economically educated.

You never ever sell something for unstable currency. You sell 100 dollars worth of oil today that is 10,175 rubles. But tomorrow 10.175 rubles can be worth only 80 dollars. Congratulations you sold 100 dollars of oil for 80 dollars.

He expects the rouble to rally faster than it can. He also expects that russian traders will not see through govt intervention and manipulation of the market which is not sustainable long term.

He is actually only going to shrink russian assets.

He should have asked for payment in gold if he wanted to punish the dollar or other currencies.

This can't repair the rouble. But it can devalue oil profits. You never sell internationally to unstable currency.

Well lets look on the bright side.

When looking for aliens who are advanced enough for space travel across vast distances, at least that means they have evolved technologically far enough to do that and must have crossed along a lot of stops on the way that could have let to their annihilation. But they didn't annihilate themselves meaning any aliens that visit us are maybe less likely to be invading and more likely to be on a mission of peace? Because they would have to be from peaceful societies to get this far without destroying themselves. ??? Yeah no?? dunno

A very technologically advanced society like the MOST technologically advanced society that you could imagine ...would be more peaceful and much less warlike.

The more technologically advanced you get the more peaceful you have to be to survive that advancement. So the super advanced species are going to be REALLY peaceful!.

Or else immortal and can't die like we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I must try and give this a look. Also Intrigued by your name…..would have to say it’s one of the strangest ines in boards.ie??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭brickster69

Russia has imposed a counter sanction against the West. They have said payment for Gas has to be paid in Rouble's or Gold but the contracted price is fixed.

Now that Euro's and Dollars are not much use to Russia because of sanctions imposed on them, they are insisting on that method of payment. It is not up for negotiation.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Are we at the stage yet, where the west must be forced into dealing with the humanitarian situation in Mariupol? No food, no bloody nothing, getting worse by the hour, how long can it be before the west has to say, "look, we're airdropping in food and medicines, if you target our planes, we will **** hammer you!"

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Here's an interesting observation. In my nerdy, raincoat days, I used to track aircraft. Take note of their build numbers, registration numbers, operators and operations etc. Unfortunately I don't have the time for that kind of thing any more. Now, it has been common practice for USSR, China, North Korea and even India to disguise spy ships and aircraft as commercial entities in order to collect data on unsuspecting countries over the years. Due to the re-routing of international airways, China, for example, has found its self routing their international flights through airspace not normally visited. I've noticed that Chinese commercial flights through Eastern Europe, from Turkey all the way up to Kaliningrad, have increased 10-fold. Some of these flights track right up through NATO controlled airspace, sometimes coming within 5 or 6,000ft of military refuelling aircraft and even ELINT aircraft. I wonder have Some of these "commercial" flights, especially those taking the scenic route to Moscow, been carrying mote than a few avionics boxes in their holds.

If there are any OSINT heads out there ( with no kids and plenty of time!) Willing to take on the tracking of Air China aircraft as a project. It looks a bit off to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You have been thinking yet you fail to realize that there is another possible scenario at play. If they tie their oil and gas exports to ruble they can set the price at which they will sell it to whoever need it to pay for delivery of goods or services.

• Advertisement

It is up for negotiation because the contracts have stipulated the dollar usage.

But all of that is irrelevant to my point. Putin is choosing to sell oil for a currency that is possibly going to be worth less the after sale than the day of sale.

That is IDIOCY.

He has not mentioned gold. I was thinking that was because the west is possibly going to freeze russian ability to trade gold later in the year and perhaps he was anticipating that.

To be honest i would ask for flour sugar steel whatever other than roubles right now.Ca

Also China will OF COURSE accept dollars from putin. And you can hold on to dollars ...roubles i wouldn't hold on to.

They can only set the price at the price of oil worldwide.

That is capitalism.

If oil from saudi is 100 dollars per whatever ..that is the price of oil. There is an international price.

They won't buy from the russians what they can find cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The government are the people. The people are the government. I don’t like the idea of all these sanctions hurting decent and caring Russians, but these sanctions may well be necessary for the overall greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The oul both sides argument wearing very thin.

Leningrad survivor and pensioner harrased on the streets by ordinary Russian passer bys for displaying peace posters ...

Germany 1939 . This is what it was like. Despite all of their access to ALL of the worlds information. They are choosing to believe the words of a billionaire who with his friends steals from their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What’s with those two jokes, Daly and Wallace constantly trying to deflect Russia’s sickening actions by bringing up the U.S. and NATO and poor people in Afghanistan….?!

If putin wanted staples ...he could swap oil for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

J-town? Sorry not up on Milspeak.

FWIW, once upon a time way back when I had a friend whose cousin was in the US Military and had been evacuated to a fort in NJ to recover from an illness. We drove over to cheer him up, play some cards, and I asked him what the coolest bit of military hardware he'd seen. He described being a passenger in an AWACS airplane as the closest he could imagine to flying in a space ship, there was so much high tech stuff there. And this was more than 30 years ago, I can imagine the stuff they have today would make that materiel look like tinker-toys.

The West has written them off and is quite happy for the Ukrainians to uphold all the wests vaules and ideals so long as it's only Ukrainian blood, missery and deaths paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That is all fine, I am not talking about setting the price of oil. I am talking about setting the price of ruble which you will need to be able to pay for their oil.

And that is whole another situation where you may think as much as you want that that price is unfair yet at the end of the day you will have to pay it since there is only so much of saudi oil available.

Russians can and will set price of the ruble which you will need to pay for their oil in a way it will benefit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Has Putin made any public appearance since the stadium last week? Will be very curious to see whether his next public statement sounds like escalation (time to go nuclear and take the world out with Russia) or de-escalation ("victory and peace is almost achieved!")

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement