Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes, this, if it's not too late play the mode without water/food requirements. It's not the worst, just gets annoying further on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The first time I played, I struggled for about two hours, nothing major, just finding out what I was doing, etc. When I went back to it, it hadn't saved, so lost all my progress, and was really fecked off. However, applying what I'd learned in that time meant that I caught up and surpassed where I was in about 20 minutes.

Now, go deeper.........

Halo TV reviews out now, mediocre seems to be the concensus. I'll still give it a watch, I might learn a bit about the lore which has always seemed to fly over my head in the games. The amount of times I've thought, wait what the heck is the storyline again?

Not sure it's available anywhere in Ireland though.....legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

It appears you won't learn much about the lore because the show doesn't follow it.

I think I noticed that Game Pass Ultimate subscribers get free access to Paramount+ for a period.

I didn't look at the details properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo fans aren't happy because it doesn't follow the lore.

Non Halo fans aren't happy because like the games the story and writing are supposedly shite.

So it's appealing to no one it seems.

I'd say it's the usual problem you see when the show runner / writer doesn't have any love or respect for the original material. Plenty of recent examples unfortunately.

I think the reason games so often don't translate well to TV/movies is because most games don't have good stories. They don't need to, they just need to get the gameplay right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I watched it......it's grand. Not awful, not great but watchable. I'll probably keep watching it to see if it gets any better but for now the only description that comes to mind is it's fine. Almost like fine for background TV if that makes sense.

There is enough lore and backstory to build upon, and it can be kept true to the original and still end up with a solid show. Or just don't do it. Or don't call it Halo.

The worst offender that springs to mind is Doom the movie - Doom was always about a demonic invasion, creatures out of Hell, both in the original and reboot games. Why make a film about genetic mutations and call it Doom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of video games rely on lore and backstory to build their world, and deliver it through things like text logs or in-game encyclopaedias.

This is the opposite of how TV works, which demands immediate stakes and character building. That’s where a lot of games falter, and why extraordinarily few are suitable for adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think lore is, for the most part, absolute horse manure. It's usually a load of mind-numbingly boring minutiae that is there to try and fool you into thinking that the world they've created is rich and deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the trouble with most game to TV/movie adaptations, is that the company making them want to please the fans of the original, have to take it out of that framework and make it work as something else, and also try to appeal to non-fans of the original. In doing so, they usually end up with something that pleases no one.

The most obvious representation of that was the original Sonic The Hedehog look, where they tried to make Sonic look not-Sonicy, instead trying to make him somewhat more realistic (even though he's a f*cking blue anthropomorphic hedgehog). Same can happen with comic book adaptations where they try to make a more grounded and realistic version of characters and situations which are, at their core, pure cartoonish nonsense.

With Halo, they're trying to make it be recognisable to Halo fans, but come up with a new expanded lore that fills out the TV show, and tries to appeal to non-Halo fans who might otherwise dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont know Warren Ellis openly admitted he did all his research for the castlevania series on it's wikipedia pages and the castlevania series was until Arcane dropped the best video game adaptation out there.

And Arcane is good despite being a video game adaptation, unlike Castlevania which genuinely hits those highs that bring back warm game feels while also being very much its own thing. Arcane was it's best when one didnt realise it was goddamn League of Legends.

I personally subscribe to the dual narrative issue being the biggest hurdle. Video games have their lore and characters but it also has how the game actually plays and there is actually a lot about how you adapt a video game into a film that needs to be drawn from that aspect. Not many filmmakers out there can look at gameplay and translate it to film narrative. Resident evil is a weird example but if you compare how the resident evil games played at the time the first film was released, there is a chasm of difference (the games weirdly then mimicked the film from 4 onwards, but the films never really embraced 4) Where the tank controls and inventory aspects of the early games promoted tension, isolation and a pace that had sudden shifts into panic and then back to constant sticky tension, the first few films embraced action stunts and drop kicking a zombie dog.

I've only seen the opening to the Halo series and straight off I have issues that the combat loop that is core to the halo franchise (the very thing that brought everyone back for infinite) has not made the transition to the screen and that's a big mistake, it might seem that it only affects the action scenes, but I think its more important, it affects the sort of character Master Chief is, as limited as he is generally with a painful amount of lore on his shoulders. The throw grenade first, fast moving multiple target acquisition sort of gameplay of the games really leaned into those small cut scenes between missions where he plays up a resourceful thinking on his feet sort of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would say most game adaptations don't care about the fans, and anime adaptations too. They just want the name recognition and try to profit off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm less shocked by the fact someone did that, than I am over how a pregnancy tests has that much tech inside it.

IIRC it doesn't actually run on that, it only displays on it.

They replaced both CPU and the LCD so the only thing that was a pregnancy test was the plastic shell.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1302453805057896448

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still. More amazed a pregnancy test has a LCD display at all, for something like a disposable, once off píss test. The environment a little more ravaged, a few more rare earth metals (maybe) dug for a tiny chip that gets immediately binned.

Not that I'm grouchy about these "playing doom on an X" concepts, they're always a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember when Doom was a system melting technical show piece :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Completely off topic, but these electronic pregnancy tests are hilarious. On the inside, it's still an analogue strip, with an IR sensor to "read" the result. A complete and utter waste of money.

I thought as much; talk about a lot of time, energy and money spent on something so over-engineered.

I didn't have a PC back then so I had to look in envy until the PlayStation version.

I still think it looks great. For it's age, it's still terrific fun.

It's an evergreen game. An evergreen game is a game that has aged as much as it can and is still one of the greatest games ever made. There's highly rated modern shooters coming out every year and the majority of them can't hold a candle to Doom.

Like the original Super Mario Bros, Doom is a game that remains eminently playable and timeless. That even if you look at modern descendants like Dusk (I know it's based on Quake) there's not a lot that has changed. The core mechanics remain solid. Haven't played with any of those modernisation builds mind you. Not sure if they gild the lily too much.

Oh yeah, has to be an automatic entry in any GOAT list. One of the most influential games ever.

Yeah, each genre has it's game that set the standard. Platformers had Mario. FPS had Doom. Point and click adventure had Monkey Island.

None of them was the very first, but they may as well be due to how well they executed it.

• Advertisement

Brutal Doom is fantastic and worth a go. The only issue I have with it is that the creator is a certified cnut.

Advertisement