Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equity Release for Second Home

• 25-03-2022 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a second house. (Not a Buy-to-Let). Equity Release used to be an option to part fund these in the past but much less so now. Equity Release appears to be more the preserve of home improvements lately.

Does anyone have any recent experience of buying this way? I'm speaking with my own bank later but interested to get perspectives on which banks do and what the requirements/processes are. I have substantial equity and only seeking to release about a quarter of it and combine with other funds to purchase.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What is the purpose of the proposed 2nd house?

Equity release is certainly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Calculator123

Hello,

Personal use, change of scene, breaks from other family members. I guess you could consider it a holiday home of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

Try 'Finance Ireland' through a broker. They were doing equity release mortgages relatively recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

I didn't think banks did equity release any more. Is it only certain banks? I couldn't seem to find anything from a quick search online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The bank i am with offer unsecured loans of up to 75k at 5.9%... you likely need more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Calculator123

That's in or around the range I'm hoping alright. Perhaps a smidge more but depends on where prices go over the next while. Below a certain loan threshold there's not much difference between Buy to let rates and personal loans, so definitely an option. Equity release at residential mortgage rates is the most attractive but remains a mystery until I speak to the bank. Anything online and one mortgage provider I've spoken to don't sound promising.

Advertisement