Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Double Star Trek Week! .. Again! 🙂

No spoilers or discussion, just a "Yes" or "No"

Does Picard episode 2 keep the momentum, from last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If momentum means.. like.. 'go fast', then Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Also if momentum means.. like.. "pretty good, actually!", then Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yes, they somehow continue to know how to write. I find myself optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I only got to watch half of Picard episode 2 last night, but I was impressed with what I saw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This gave me a good chuckle, while a fairly good recreation of the shítty animation style of TAS; the bonus classic Simpsons gag was also gold

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Oh hell yeah! TMP Director's Edition out soon in 4K!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Re: the argument that always gets bandied about when the new shows face criticism - but ST has always been political

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that videos a load of bull. First off Discovery is not Star Trek at least in my mind it is not anyway so it does not change anything for my view of Star Trek.

It is just any generic sci-fi show.

Second of this was not made because Star Trek was dead. The 09 Star Trek film was the one made to get a franchise that had stagnated back on its feet and new fans into it. This rubbish was just made to take advantage of that.

Anyway it only took me 3mins and 20 seconds to realise what a load of rubbish this video is. I think it is aimed at Americans more than us anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently Stacey Abrams - someone I'd know of but wouldn't recognise TBH, despite my interest in US politics - has been a life long Star Trek fan so good for her she got to cameo. That's pretty awesome

I didn't lose my shít when John McCain or Joe Biden appeared in Parks and Recreation; or Tony Blair(!) appeared on the Simpsons (can't recall if that was before or after the Iraq War mind). this is far from the first cameo by a current politician, and definitely not the most controversial either.

Let's not pretend any of us here wouldn't chew off a leg to have that chance of a walk on part. But something something liberals liberals. The politics Jim, the politics.

I thought you were going to explain why the video was bull but then you went on to actually agree with some points the presenter made like how the new shows aren't real Trek. You agree with the man so I don't know where you're coming from. You didn't even watch the video anyway so how can you have an opinion on it.

Nobody lost their shít when John McCain or Joe Biden appeared in Parks and Recreation. Stop trying to prop yourself up on a pedestal.

From what I read , it was the producers idea to reach out to Abrams. And she was only happy to agree, why wouldn't she. Its exposure for her and shes a running political candidate. . Lets cut the nonsense that they were offering a life long fan a dream role in her favourite franchise. It was a political statement made in a very politically charged time in America. Another thing , if The Orville cast Ron DeSantis as president of the galaxy and worshiped him as an omnipotent God , then you would see what people losing their **** really looks like.

That video is right in one key point.

Generally Trek gave situations and characters which allowed the audience to think about and make a judgement, before Picard (or indeed Kirk) drove a message home.

Discovery tells you from the off what you should think.

I've always found that guiding people to an idea, naturally, is always better than telling them what they should do. If people come to an idea on their own it is THEIR idea and much more impactful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Right so first of all, you should watch the video because by and large he's making the same points as you, and while I agree with it in part, I don't agree in the whole.

1. Star Trek was basically dead, with the exception of it's existing fanbase and the occasional new fan. We'd had no new Star Trek shows since Enterprise which while it got 4 seasons, didn't exactly set the world on fire or blow up. It had a pretty dedicated fan base (like Trek usually does) but got pushed off primetime viewing quite quickly.
    2. Discovery is Star Trek. I'm not a fan of the show at all, but mostly because the characters are poorly written and the show's focus is entirely on Burnham who is a complete Mary Sue type character. It is Star Trek though, they just marketed it as a TNG/TOS type show when it's not sadly.
    3. Star Trek has literally always been a left leaning and political show, the difference is that how it's always been portrayed was in a future where it's already happened. Discovery is very lazy and is clearly trying to be left leaning via check boxes over good writing.

No pedestals buddy, just pointing out the selective controversy cos yet another politician appears in a TV show. But that's some extreme invention if you think DeSantis is comparable to Abrams in terms of the two politicans' relative positions and track records. But I don't think anyone else in this thread wants to read a segue about why a notable Voter Rights Advocate isn't a bad thing. In fact it's one of the few relatively apolitical concepts that could be presented without bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

When a common complaint about your series is that it's too overtly politically one sided it might not have been the best idea to bring on a politician from your side.

In the past when they had life long fans of Star Trek that held government positions with interesting politics they just stuck him in a blue uniform and gave him no lines. The King, at the time Crown Prince, of Jordan was in the Voyager episode Investigations in case anyone was wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Had to turn it off when he started saying "woke"

Who's complaining though? No greater empty vessel than the raging YouTube essay TBH and if the viewer + subscriber numbers still say Discovery is a hit, who cares what a noisy demographic think re. "politics". And if there's one thing that is increasingly clear, it doesn't take much for a certain minority to stream Woke! Politics! Liberals! In some cases, it can be as little as who's cast as the lead.

We've debated this before, and many times but Trek has always been as subtle as a hammer about its politics, it's simply that now "politics" has been magnified by the internet into a competitive sport, our media landscape fuelled by whipped up outrages. It's Recency Bias among other things; do we even have any posters here who were around when ToS originally aired?

The only real difference is the writing surrounding the politics is worse than before, Discovery an embarrassment in terms of professional scriptwriting - but in a franchise where "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" was how it drew allegory can't be called a subtle, nuanced show about its poltiics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would just rather see Star Trek do an episode about voter suppression rather than flash a politician at us.

Funny you brought up the Simpsons because it was the endless canoes ruined the show for me. Why did the movie have President Schwartzenegger when it should have been Wolfcastle in the Simpsons world.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree, and I'm speaking as someone who hasn't touched Season 4 - and probably never will. But you also know full well that if Trek did cover Voter Suppression, the same voices would be out screaming "keep politics out of Trek! It's too divisive!"

There are posters on this forum, myself included, who have had that complaint and if you'd actually watched the posted video it's about as far from raging as you can get. There are YouTube channels that will decry things as woke etc at the drop of a hat and about an equal amount that will decry something as whatever-ist equally as quickly. But maybe we should focus on the video in question.

Picking ham-fisted messages from TOS is a little easy, some examples from the other 90% of old Star Trek would be nice for a change.

I started watching the video, and found it exactly the kind of overblown hyperbole typical of what I spoke of. The author spoke of it being "created by the woke left", so no, I don't agree the video was either sober or avoided the usual blather. Raging no, but still full of that kind of absolutist polemic, creating meaning from what ... a 30 second cameo at the bookend of the series? It's a bad start when the title pleads "why X matters". It doesn't, it really doesn't. God knows there's plenty to hammer Discovery on, but constantly returning to this well of "it's too political, look at all the woke everywhere" as a means of dissection is lazy, reductive and overblown.

As I said already, it's especially disingenuous when it's aimed at someone whose career is focused on Voters' Rights. If it was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez appearing on the show, then there might be an argument. But Abrams seems like a decent person trying to scrub a problem state of its continued issues with voter impression. But then as @breezy1985 said, better had an episode actually dealt with the subject than use one of its chief advocates.

TNG had its own fair share of clumsy allegory as well, episodes like The Outcast being also commonly name-dropped; but the Original Series is just convenient as it was the literal foundation of the universe. When from the very beginning the franchise aimed itself towards topical politics, I can't say I'm surprised when it continues along that bent. It's has always had a very liberal outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

President Schwartzenegger ruined "Demolition Man" for me.

(That's a lie, it made the film for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can't be arsed watching that video. But if anyone thinks any of the Trek shows would have taken a neutral apolitical stance on say Trump, they really don't get Trek.

Has Trump been alluded to in any of the modern series? I know Stewart said Picard was a reaction to Trump and Brexit but it didn't really come across like that unless the shambolic mess of the first series was an intentional reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think the closest we got was the new Klingons in Discovery apparently being a reference to MAGA people. Seems like a bad fit, knowing the Klingons as we do. If I were them and was going for a reference for MAGA-cultism I would have been more inclined to go with the likes of the Dominion and their cultist devotion to The Founders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

which allowed the audience to think about and make a judgement, before Picard (or indeed Kirk) drove a message home.

"Wait... that guy is white on his left side and black on his right side - and that guy is white on his right side and black on his left side... is... is racism bad and stupid?"

Yes. Subtle as a brick!

This!

I didn't say it was subtle but it presented the story a hell of a lot better than anything Discovery has.

That was intentionally stupid, I feel, to show just how stupid judging someone on colour really is.

But I remember watching that, as a kid, and thinking how idiotic those two were. Before any character said that they were stupid.

That's the difference. As obvious as the message was it let young me come to the conclusion as opposed telling me that I MUST come to that conclusion.

• Advertisement

Sometimes though Star Trek might go too far in portraying both sides of an issue

Advertisement