Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Putin made the decision to invade because he knows that the Ukraine are getting closer to the West and potentially were looking to join the EU. NATO is a smokescreen, its a great bogeyman to wave in front of the Russian Public from the USSR days but the danger to Putin and his cronies is the EU. If the Ukraine started to improve the quality of life for their citizens it would highlight very quickly to the Russians that they were being ripped off and conned by their mafioso Government.

The performance of the Russian military highlights this, it has been hollowed out by corruption. The equipment is sub-standard, hasn't been maintained but I'm sure there were budgets for that but given the way things work in Russia everyone has taken "their share" and what's left isn't adequate to do the job. As they say the fish rots from the head, this is endemic of the way the Russian government works.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's inevitable.

The one thing Putin always did well was he projected an air of infallibility, propped up with a brazen don't care attitude.

That's charade is gone, he is nearly 70, fleeting and he has authorised decisions that will effect his country for at least a generation.

There has been a noticeable change in Ukrainian tactics this week, largely down to the fact that they are now receiving vast amounts of munitions with a steady supply of more coming.

He is fighting an experienced army now backed up by rage and weaponry whilst simultaneously getting battered in an economic war.

You are going to see a lot more rats legging it in the weeks and months ahead.

There was never going to be a winner in this, just a sliding scale of mammoth loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's very spineless to be honest. We are country that had to fight hard against an oppressor and now we have weapons we are unlikely to use apart from maybe training exercises.

I'm not buying this neutral BS coming from the Govt. It looks very bad especially when we have USAF flights coming through Shannon.

Just give them the arms ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Sorry! J-Town is what the US troops have re-named Jaroslaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

while nuclear is horrible theres an argument that MADS is a deterrent for wars and violence itself. this is really pushing the theory but its possibly true. a rogue state was always going to develop nuclear at some stage. and like alot of our current strife its a direct consequence of WW2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bollocks. Over 10,000 Ukrainians and thousands more are expected and welcomed by Ireland and her people. The Irish people the vast majority of whom 100% support Ukraine and have come forward in big numbers to help and support Ukrainians coming here. Ukrainian men women and children have been welcomed into this country, given housing, medical cover, money and social support to tide them over during this tragedy and unlike the UK who've taken fúck all by comparison and took their time to do so Ukrainain folks didn't need visas to come here. Yet he's been fulsome with praise for the British because they gave him weapons, yet happily harbour and continue to harbour Russian dirty money for decades, even elevating crooked Russians to their peerage in exchange for dirty money? Read the room Zelenskyy, get better PR advice, or frankly fúck off with yourself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think the change in Ukrainian tactics is more to do with time and what they can do. I don't think the most optimistic expected a month in for this to be the position. The convoy outside Kyiv has got to look like something from a zombie film at this stage. Ukraine have been able to leave them out to starve and freeze but now they can start attacking a bit more. The lack of news is a little frustrating but at the same time why take 10s of thousands of prisoners either back to a city which will be under siege or have to transport them when you can just not take them prisoner and they're no threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And I hate this modern notion continously pedaled that the Allies should not have done the bombings of German cities, especially the likes of Dresden and Hamburg.

After all they were just the German people and combatants.

Some spanners label it as war crimes.

There is this continous thing about how Dresden was not a contributor to the war effort.

Dresden was actually a warning to Stalin.

It also turned out to be the perfect raid and everything worked for the Allies.

That is why it was so devastating.

Anyway to parapharase Basil Fawlty, they started it.

Who the feck started the bombing of cities, did they not try to level London, Birmingham, Coventry, etc?

Did they not level cities like Warsaw, Stalingrad, etc ?

We continously hear about the good Germans, but when you look at that famous photo of the workers giving the Nazi salute there is only one man refusing to do so.

Yeah none of them were a Nazi.

I saw a program the other night where they looked at one of the chief Nazis, Albert Speer, who managed through his mild manner, civilised demeanor, education and connections to avoid the hangmans noose.

That fooker, often labelled as the "good nazi", was responsible for the deaths of thousands of slave labourers.

If you are war with a country you are at war with the people, not just a select few in government and on the battlefield, because the people are the ones keeping the government in power and the ones on the battlefield supplied and supported.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Wow, that's a very emotional response.

Zelesnky is doing his best to squeeze the absolute maximum support out of the Western allies and is using all the tools at his disposal to do so. And frankly I can't blame him one bit. He's right too, we can do more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I mean first of all he was talking specifically about support for Ukraine joining the EU; nothing to do with weapons or any other thing certain posters have been fixated on. And I'm pretty sure Ireland have been consistently advocating for a more rapid process for Ukraine to be able to join; so I have no idea what he's talking about in that context either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well if European countries who buy from them do not get gas, Russia will get nothing from them. Ends the decision about what to do about more gradually/safely weakening Russia's chokehold over their gas supplies if Russia go down that route. The pain of it would just have to be dealt with as best as can be, and it can be blamed by the politicians on Putin/Russia for cutting off the gas supply (as it should be, given he started a war with/invaded Ukraine and fired first shots of a Cold War 2.0).

As far as I understand it, they'll be a while getting the infrastructure together to sell these gas supplies to others as well so in meantime they get nothing unless like of China buy it on tick (edit: meant pay in advance...so Russia is one owing them) or something + give them money to make good their losses on energy trade with Europe with an expectation of gas in future when infrastructure is ready.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Don’t underestimate how much two loud Irish MEPs are impacting our image abroad.

We only have 11 MEPs and two of them are taking stances that are often read as blatantly pro Russia. That’s a rather big % and could very easily be getting picked up as far more significant than it actually is.

His ambassador’s concerns about the large Russian owner alumina plant we host were also rather brushed aside by the mainstream of Irish politics this week too.

But if you didn’t know a hell of a lot about the nuances of Irish politics, saw a some of that stuff and the rather odd “neutral” stance and the refusal to supply weapons etc … easy enough to draw a conclusion that we are an outlier and fence sitting.

He’s speaking from a position of being in the middle of a war and invasion, I don’t necessarily think he’s going to be aware of the nuances of our domestic politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭brickster69

A good video to help people understand the situation. Just spend some time and listen to what he is saying and then you can make your own mind up.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It helps tie the Rouble in to a tangible asset that is rising in price.

There is talk that they might accept gold.

Russia and especially China have very large stores of gold and commodities built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lads I don't know about the oligarchs and the connected ones deserting the sinking ship rumours.

Most of them were smart enough to move their own ships, sorry yachts, out of harms way to safe destinations like Turkey, Maldives, etc.

Actually very interesting to see how two of Abramovich's mega yachts made it through the Med and to Turkey.

Once EU sanctions kicked in they stayed in international waters, skirting totally around Greek waters, until they reached Turkish coast.

Quite a few boats, including some linked to Putin himself made it back to Kailingrad or Maldives.

They other thing they have been doing for months is turning off their mandatory trackers.

I am not allowed discuss …

I imagine he was referring to those 2 lobotomised fúcknuts who "represent" us in Europe.

1 Hour and 20 minutes.

Could you just give us a breakdown of the stoned lad that looks like he is streaming from a soup kitchen?

No fun having a 7 star hotel on the water if you can't dock in the prestigious places you are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The patreon is called "coach red pill" so think will maybe give it a miss + save 1hr 20 min.

Also saw this: but I have not had time to read it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH he has a point. We have weapons gathering dust that will never be used in anger (hopefully!) that would aid their efforts against the Russians. We're not neutral in this fight. We are squarely on the Ukraines side. We should give them everything they need to defend themselves because the reality is they are also defending Europe and Ireland from the biggest threat to our peaceful existence Putin's Russia.

Do you honestly think the Russians are going to treat use differently because we only supported Ukraine with non-military aid, bollix we're in with everyone else who have provided any aid at all to the Ukrainians. We need to stop this pearl clutching and go all in here.

I randomly picked a couple of points in the video and listened for like 30 seconds: I'm pretty sure he has fundamental misunderstandings about things like oil production and grain exports which would render any of his conclusions worthless. Also in general I find it a good rule of thumb to avoid people who can monologue for literal hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ugh your posting the alt-right sex tourist again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nada emotional about it Raoul, I can happily suggest someone should fúck off quite dispassionately. 😁 Even though we're the furthest geographical distance in Europe from Ukraine we've done more than most in practical real world humanitarian help for Ukrainian people and were quick of the mark to do so, are in the vanguard of pushing for their EU membership, are fully behind sanctions against Russia and are open to more. All of which Zelenskyy has apparently acknowledged and thanked the Taoiseach for, so I dunno where he's coming out with this "almost with" Ukraine bollocks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I agree, my wife and I have been helping out the Ukrainian refugees in the town here as much as possible since they arrived. She probably put a good 30-40 hrs in last week organising with them, signing up for medical card, finding schools to take the kids etc. So I feel we are helping as much as we can, but I wouldn't begrudge him the swipe at Ireland with respect to the military supplies, especially given the situation he is in. We can and should do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The article misrepresents what was actually said; aside from anything else.

There's also an argument to be made that diplomatic and potentially peacekeeping efforts through the UN would benefit from an Ireland who didn't send lethal aid to Ukraine. Granted we're nowhere near the same league as Israel or Turkey in terms of access to Russia but it's still likely our diplomatic and humanitarian aid could be more useful in the long-term than whatever tiny amount of arms we might supply in the short term.

I'm all for emptying our warehouses of non-lethal aid if that's something Ukraine actually wants and needs.

Neutrality is not about supporting one side or the other, it's about not militarily supporting one side or the other. We can be 100% behind Ukrainians, poliically and humanitarianly and it's very clear we are, or should be very clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The Ukrainian invasion defence seems to have entered a new phase.

The Russians have always appeared to be able to rain ARTILLERY missiles down, with impunity, on anywhere within range but as they're pushed back out of range, all they will be able to do is further destroy those cities and towns still within range.

Therefore a no-fly zone is becoming more relevant as it could deter AERIAL bombardments, and it's becoming more politically feasible to call it a humanitarian action.

Unfortunately, the Russians have shown themselves to be filthy, dirty, bsatards who would be quite capable of employing chemical weapons now that their arses have been branded. On the bright side, they have been warned, so are possibly fearful of the kind of further humiliation that would ensue.

Also, it has to be remembered that this dark age excuse for a nation is still a superpower based on its volume of nuclear warheads alone.

It is cruelly unfair that the Ukrainians have had to do all the heavy lifting for the "West".

If a Ukrainian ever asks me to kiss their boots, I will thank them for the privilege.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement