Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

British Airways BA462 LHR-MAD since December at a quick glance has been operated by an A380...

i wonder into the new year will that continue... in no hurry to be heading off long haul but always fancied the A380 experience.... bonus that it could be to one of my favorite EU cities, hopefully it will be an attainable journey .... but I’d be surprised all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I think they are also operating it to Frankfurt, possibly some others. Crew familarisation/recency apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

It was on flights to Frankfurt and Madrid from 8 November to 2 December.

I flew on it to Frankfurt and back a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Saw a "weird" plane fly over my house a couple of weeks back , what was striking about it was it was a single prop engined plane but was the size of something like a regional jet , also the wings werent swept back much, it had no obvious airline markings. What might have I been looking at? it was heading west inland from Sandymount Strand direction. It just looked like a plane one would expect to be twin engined.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Post edited by scotchy on

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

Nice end to the year for Airbus with a big contract agreed with Air France - KLM.

" The contract covers Airbus A320neo and A321neo aircraft and will renew the medium-haul fleets of KLM and Dutch low-cost unit Transavia Netherlands, while also allowing for both the renewal and expansion of the fleet at sister unit Transavia France."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Another kick in the stones for Boeing after Qantas switched to Airbus NBs recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Makes me feel old that "oeo" 320s are going to the scrapper 😳 "Sit on my knee, son, now I remember when that fly by wire thing was considered witchcraft"

Then again, I'm still not over the loss of the L-1011 😪 by far the most technologically advanced airliner of its era, but it still couldn't overcome "why isn't this light on" 😕

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

3 sets of eyes couldn’t work out that light, rather sad.

Flew through Dubai World (DWC) a few nights ago, there had to be at least 40 A380’s in storage there. Didn’t see any B777’S, are they back in service or parked somewhere else.?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

All the 777's have been back in service for nearly a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ryanair 4052 Manchester to Faro made an emergency landing at Brest, France last night due to a reported outbreak of fire on board. Everyone was taken off safely.

Sky News have it that the aircraft shed 36,000 ft of altitude in about 6 minutes to make the approach, which must have been great craic for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't know whether this is the right thread - but did any of you see the WWII movie Midway at the weekend, it showed a fighter plane taking off from a aircraft carrier and crashing in the sea because the ship was moving too slow - can someone please explain this scenario?

thanks,

Aircraft carriers sail into the wind as fast as they can so the plane taking off has 'airspeed' even before it starts rolling.

That said, a WWII fighter should have had little difficulty taking off from a carrier anyway. Things got a lot more difficult in the jet era.

So I'm calling movie BS on that one

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

SOmeone has a lot of paperwork to fill out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus he/she was coming in fairly hot there...

A plane spotter's dream comes through

• Advertisement

this is the clip, the pilot says something like the ship is too slow so at least they are giving an explanantion

Lots of bad CGI there.

I see China Airlines is maintaining its usual standards...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It was a loaded bomber. That said, someone is supposed to check conditions before launching...

The way WW2 carriers launched, they tended to have multiple aircraft spotted at once, the aircraft at the front end of the group having less runway space to build speed. For example, a strike in Sept '44 by HMS Indomitable was delayed because of insufficient wind, they had to take some aircraft back below decks to make room for a longer run-up. As it was, one bomber (a Barracuda) still ditched into the sea upon take-off.

I don't know off-hand if this happened at Midway itself, I'd need to hunt the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Catapult launches as we know them today were much more limited then and most aircraft took off from a carrier under their own power, aided by the built in head wind. A carrier needed to be hitting 25 to 30 knots, added to whatever wind was blowing on the day, to get loaded aircraft off and you often saw loaded aircraft dip down near the water after clearing the bow to gain a few extra knots of airspeed. Pilots were taught to turn left or right immediately in case they did ditch, to avoid getting run down by the ship. They also had the canopies open so that they could get out quickly. The aircraft usually had flotation bags built in to give them more time to get out and a dedicated crew dinghy, which was sometimes rigged to deploy automatically when immersed. But, carrier ops were and still are, always hazardous and accidents and losses were and are much more frequent than for land based operations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Confirmation if ever it was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone recommend parking in the Clayton? I'm away from 24th-30th and the Clayton is only €51 where as the red long term where I was originally going to park is €75. Is the €25 saving worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's actually the only long term I am using for last couple of years, would definately recommend. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

10 Irish aircorp fly by in Dublin this morning? Anybody?

Can anyone have a guess at the types ?

• Advertisement

HS 748 and a Fairchild C119

Advertisement