Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Artist banned from Fridays For Future demo because of dreadlocks

Folk-pop singer Ronja Maltzahn had planned to set a “sign for peace and against discrimination” at a “Fridays For Future” demo in Hanover on Friday (March 25), but was now uninvited by the organizers at short notice.

The 27-year-old received the cancellation via social media, where she also shared the direct message in a post. [translation below] According to the climate protection movement, Fridays For Future Hannover must “rely on an anti-colonial and anti-racist narrative, especially in this global strike”. However, this is not possible if the singer is wearing dreadlocks.

Ronja Maltzahn expresses disappointment on Instagram: “It’s a shame that we are excluded from it because of external characteristics”. She also refers to her values ​​and the intentions she is pursuing with her music: “Give cultural diversity a stage, appreciate and celebrate it, stand up for gender equality, mindfulness and tolerance”. In addition, she emphasizes that she hopes that this goal will resonate with her audience and “not the opposite”.

In the comments on the post, supporters of the singer express their outrage and express their sympathy. Others criticize the decision of FFF Hannover: “An event that stands for the fact that appearance and origin should be completely irrelevant, excludes such a loving artist because of her appearance.”

*translated from German

hello Ronja,

We are very sorry that this message came so spontaneously and that we are unfortunately canceling it. The reason for this is that we are focusing on an anti-colonial and anti-racist narrative in this global strike and it is therefore not acceptable for us to have a white person with dreadlocks on our stage. Dreadlocks on white people are a form of cultural appropriation, as it is associated with the identity of Black people and it was used by white people in the days of slavery as a sign of oppression For this reason white people should not wear dreadlocks as they are appropriating a part of another culture without the systematic oppression behind it to experience.

We hope that you will deal with it and we offer you, if necessary, to exchange information on this in the days after the demo. If you decide to cut off your dreadlocks by Friday, we would of course welcome you to the demo and let you play. We are sorry that we allowed this situation to arise at all and did not deal in sufficient detail with which artists were asked for our demo.

Greetings FridaysforFuture Hanover

just to update this story from ages ago,

Society of Authors’ President, Sir Philip Pullman, has announced his resignation from the role he has held since 2013.

In a letter to the SoA’s Management Committee earlier this month, Philip Pullman wrote:

The Presidency is not an executive position. Matters of policy are decided by the members through the Management Committee and the Society as a whole is administered by a Chief Executive. That state of affairs has worked well during most of my term as President, but recent events have made it apparent that when a difference of opinion arises, there is no easy way to resolve it within the constitution or the established practices of the Society.

When it became clear that statements of mine were being regarded as if they represented the views of the Society as a whole (although they did nothing of the sort, and weren’t intended to), and that I was being pressed by people both in and out of the Society to retract them and apologise, I realised that I would not be free to express my personal opinions as long as I remained President. That being the case, with great regret and after long consideration I chose to stand down.

SoA Chief Executive Nicola Solomon said:

We were very sorry when Philip told us in February that he intended to resign, and regret that his personal views have come under so much scrutiny because of his Presidency of the SoA. Social media has changed the way we all communicate, organisations as well as individuals. We are in the process of reviewing the Constitution to reflect the times in which we live, including the roles of the Management Committee, Chair and President. The Management Committee will be making recommendations and the Council will discuss the role at their Annual Meeting in June 2022.

https://societyofauthors.org/News/News/2022/March/Philip-Pullman-resigns-from-SoA-Presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is absolutely hilarious.

And the fact that 13 others thanked it thinking the same.

Priceless.

You do know that calling someone a spa is offensive and pretty ignorant?

Or is it woke of me to point that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

You can yawn all you want.

Does not change the point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think that was the point, to be offensive. Obviously, the offence was intended to be directed towards Elon Musk and not towards people suffering from a medical condition.

Right on dude.

You keep getting offended over everything.

offending him by inferring that he is suffering from a medical condition?

And that’s not supposed to be a dig at those suffering from same medical condition.?

If you had a friend or family member with that condition, you’d speak up every time you came across basic ignorance like this.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement

Yeah right.

Ill keep calling out those using ignorant and offensive terns like that.

Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What medical condition is being a "spa". Can you provide a link to this in a medical dictionary?

Not sure if you are really being serious or deliberately obtuse?

There are a lot iof posts on this thread that makes you think “seriously, how can that person seriously not know that”.

The result is hilarious as the person slagging the “woke” is the actual joke as they don’t understand the point being made. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

Now, if you need to be educated, that’s down to yourself not for me to explain to you.

Cordell misses the point that slurs are offensive and there are words and terms that should not be used.

if you can’t see that or understand basic respect, then it’s yourself that needs to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Don't you ever get tired of feigning offence on behalf of people that aren't offended. What's tomorrow's absolute offence of the day for you? Pretty sad really

I mean, the world has gone very “woke”, hasn’t it. I mean you can’t even call a person a spa any more without being told it’s out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Like I said stop getting offended for the sake of being offended. Move on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Words can have more than one meaning. They can evolve from one meaning and take on a different meaning, even while keeping that original meaning (often it becomes outmoded)

That's what's happened here. Nobody's calling anyone a medical spastic. The word has evolved to mean a general twit.

It's not reasonable to pick up on a secondary meaning that clearly wasn't intended (ie a "dig at those suffering from same medical condition")

Inferring your own meaning where it clearly wasn't meant it one of the reasons this thread exists in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Does spa come from spastic? I never knew that. Never heard spa till I moved to Ireland. Asked what it meant and was told its calling someone an idiot or stupid. Use it all the time now.

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

• Advertisement

Lots of those words have origins like that. Mongo, idiot, retard, moron.

Moron for example was a medical term for an adult with the mental age of a child.

People who get offended by that rarely mention the earlier etymology - moron, Greek for a foolish person.

(As a sidenote, is the term "spanner" just a convenient elongation of "spa"?)

Not sure where you think it is my own meaning. The problem is people here not understanding the real meaning behind it.

Terms like spa, spastic, mongo, retard are not acceptable. They are offensive. A survey in the UK back in 2003 found spastic to be the second most offensive term to be used after retard for inferring someone is disabled or stupid. Using it as shortened version as "banter" by people who know no better, or say oh, I did not mean it that way, does not make it any more acceptable.

If anyone wants to know if the word Spa is acceptable, then maybe ring Cerebral Palsy Ireland and ask.

You do know that personal attacks are against the charter, right? I havent addressed you, so lay off.

This thread is not to "pile on" anyone who has a different opinion than the clique, or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

That dreadlock story is appalling. Ive hostel'd all over the world and came across many white girls with dreadlocks , all them who you would class as being very liberal. Just because you align with the left these days does not mean you are a liberal. The people who cancelled her are fanatic uber-conservative types. Their repressive dogma will come to an end eventually. Just let them eat each other up first.

Sitting back at letting nature run its course is what Graham Linehan should have done , but he took a stand and now he's cancelled. Family and career over. Maybe he thought he was too big to get cancelled , basically his own words. There's nothing to gain from arguing with woke fanatics. Linehan should have known better.

No, the problem remains you choosing to infer a meaning which the person hadn't intended to infer.

Take the moron example - it can either mean "a stupid person" or "a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12 (early 20th century)". That's from a quick Google ("spa" in the insult sense doesn't return a definition, but the logic is the same)

You've chosen to take the latter meaning even though the former is the intended one, and a completely valid meaning.

That's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I'm still reeling from it aswell. Absolute travesty, does that mean now Predator is going to be cancelled now too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@99nsr125. do not post in this thread again

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

According to a wall text written by Barrett, a 1757 self-portrait showing Hogarth sitting on a wooden chair should be seen within the context of slavery. “The curvaceous chair literally supports him and exemplifies his view on beauty,” she writes. “The chair is made from timbers shipped from the colonies, via routes which also shipped enslaved people. Could the chair also stand in for all those unnamed black and brown people enabling the society that supports his vigorous creativity?”.

In response, under a headline stating that the 18th-century artist had been “yanked into today’s culture wars”, the critic Waldemar Januszczak wrote in the Sunday Times that “[a problem] is the collapse here of useful scholarship and its replacement by wokeish drivel. Caption after caption wastes precious explanatory space on à la mode speculations about Hogarth’s intentions that are thunderously unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whatever about the high-brow interpretations of the art, the name of the Tate Britain director lends itself to some seriously low-brow humour -

Farquharson stresses…

See myself out 😬

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement