Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

40-42 would be a massive squad to take for 5 games. Bigger than Gatland's Lions squads and getting towards Woodward's infamous two matchday 22s.

I'd like to see Wycherley and one or maybe even both of Dooley and Loughman taken as backup to Porter rather than including Healy and Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Article from 3 weeks ago,

"New Zealand Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson revealed at a press conference the three Irish tests would be played in Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland.

"We are still working on the prospect of playing midweek games against Ireland," he said.

"There’s nothing more to report on that officially, but work is going on behind the scenes with Irish Rugby to look at that."

Given our current predicament at 10 I'd rather we brought 4 outhalves than 4 scrumhalves.

Loosehead really is a concern, we're very light there. I'd leave Healy at home only in so far that it gives him a better chance of holding it together for the World cup, I'd still have him ahead of Kilcoyne, Wycherley and EOS if winning the tour is the goal.

Far less concerned about tighthead, I rate Bealham and he had a good six nations. Haven't watched as much of Ulster this season - any sign of Jack McGrath regaining his form?

I'd definitely take POM on a tour like this, he's been on plenty of tours and will help keep the camp focused even if he doesn't play too much.

Lowe, Hansen, Lowry, Keenan, Baloucoune, Conway

We're in good health here in my opinion.

On a side note, we've brought additional coaches on tours like this before. I wonder will ROG go along given his experience of NZ rugby...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Given the gruelling and lengthy nature of Top14 seasons, I can't imagine any sane person would voluntarily add a NZ tour on top of that, especially with a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Loose head and ten definitely look the two spots needing be most looking at, tighthead not too far behind as a third choice hasn’t really put they’re hand up. Moore could be a bolter there.

The more I’ve thought about it the more I think James Ryan shouldn’t be rushed back for this tour. Write his season off now and let him come back for preseason fresh and recharged. The potential break could be brilliant for him given the nature of his rise to first choice.

• Advertisement

If Dooley could get decent game time for Leinster before the end of the season he could be rewarded for his move to Connacht, where he’d likely have a season as first choice before the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dooley can’t by Ed Byrne, he will get very little game time for Leinster as fourth choice LH after the 6N unless it thru injuries.

You’ve Porter out for a bit, probably won’t leapfrog bryne after it was announced he’s leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He wasn’t going to leap frog him anyway, now with him moving on he certainly won’t. He’ll pick up a bit of time alright but it won’t be significant unless he’s needed. Jack Boyle may well pick up a bit of time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd certainly rest James Ryan, he gets a good break and hopefully comes back in next year. This upcoming tour could be the making of some. I would like to see T'O'T get minutes and Timoney also. Timoney can play across the backrow and could possibly become a Jordi type player. Coombes if he finishes the league strong, could get a start.

The injury list could have an effect on the squad! I think Doak will travel and Prendergast too!

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, what do the Irish coaching team (and the other 6N national coaching teams) do for the next couple of months?

I assume that they watch lots of matches, but do they actually have any coaching access to the players while they're back with their teams?

To take one example, other than building sandcastles on Tenby beach, what would Wales's kicking coach Neil Jenkins be doing with himself - I doubt that Saints will allow him any access to Dan Biggar?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's a good question. I always figured the video analysis guys are kept very busy. They'll have a list of players that they expect Ireland to play against in key games over the next year. And they'll watch every game they play and clip every single moment they're involved in and categorize them. So, for example, they'll clip every single instance of Marcus Smith kicking the ball for quins, and tag them based on what type of kick (bomb, grubber, spiral), where it was from, what phase it was etc etc. That way next time Keenan is about to play against England they can quickly play him 50 kicks of Marcus Smith kicking to show Keenan what Smith prefers, what shape he takes before each kick, how his kicking preferences change depending on the time of the game etc. They'll do the same for how Ben Curry clears rucks or how how Freddie Stuart covers the backfield.

For the coaches, they'll be analysing tape. Lineout coach will be doing a lot of analysis on future opponents (both players and collectively). Defense coaches probably focussing on opposition playmakers. But head coaches like Farrell probably have a few teams that they takes a lot of inspiration from and watch the game closely to see if they can pick up variations or patterns they can easily apply to Ireland.

For Jenkins specifically, I'd say he does two things. Firstly I'd say he upskills a lot. His job is really mental, so I'd say he goes to a lot of seminars and learns about motivation - but mostly I'd say the WRU send him on a bit of a roadshow coaching junior kickers. Lets face it, he's a jobs for the lads appointment. So I'd be shocked if he's not farmed out to schools to do a bit of celebrity coaching and try to develop a relationship with whatever 16-year-olds are most favoured to be the Wales kickers in a decade.

These are all my assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

While it was a pretty good 6N, I don't think we quite hit the heights we did in November in terms of performance (bar maybe the Wales game). The Japan and NZ performances were two of the best Irish performances I've ever seen. The challenge for the coaching staff, is to have us playing to that level again at the world cup, so that we can deliver a performance like we did against NZ, in the quarter final against NZ or France.

It's something that Eddie Jones, for all the criticism he gets (a lot of which is warranted) is exceptional at. In 2019, he had his team playing at the absolute peak of their performance at exactly the right time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not even just NZ, it's any tier 1 team really. Our record at the World Cup against half decent teams is absolutely pitiful.

I singled out NZ and France because it will be one of them we face in the quarters.

We always bring out a big performance in the group stage. Australia in 2011, France in 2015, Scotland in 2019. But when it gets to the knockouts we invariably crumble because we've treated a group game like a world cup final.

We need to save our big performance for the quarter final this time, that means not over-expending ourselves physically and emotionally in the group stage. I hear people talking about the pool game v SA as this massive game, when in reality it isn't. As long as we beat Scotland we'll get out of the group. The SA game isn't that important. What's the point in draining ourselves to beat SA, if we just get pumped by 50 points in the quarters? I'd much rather come 2nd in the group and give it a real craic in the quarters, than win the group but have nothing left to give thereafter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd much rather come 2nd in the group and give it a real craic in the quarters, than win the group but have nothing left to give thereafter.

Still relatively convinced that's a false dichotomy - same as those who say they would rather do poorly in the 6N and win a QF then the other way round. Its a nice story but it doesn't really line up with the reality.

Our problem in 2015 was not that we emotionally expended ourselves in the group stages, it was that we were missing our 5 most important players for the QF. Scotland in 2019 was not a big group performance (also it was required to get out of the group), Scotland are just pish. 2011 the problem was quite clearly coaching/selection in the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exactly. People seem to love boiling our RWC failures down to being a singular thing. They haven’t been.

2007 - Coaching team messed up our prep and didn’t focus on the rugby side of it enough.

2011 - Coaches messed up selection for the QF, an issue that wasn’t limited to the RWC and continued on for some time after that too. I don’t think Kidney was able to adapt to changes in the game quickly enough and ended up uncertain of which way he wanted Ireland to go.

2015 - pretty much the entire spine of our team was gone through injury or suspension for grievous bodily harm leaving the victim unable to sleep at night (I will never forget that utterly BS “victim statement”!).

2019 - this was the first year where we arguably bottled it. I think (and this is possibly total garbage) the entire set up took their eye off the ball going into the 6Ns with the RWC being the prize (selecting Henshaw at FB vs England wasn’t a selection for that day IMO). This impacted performances in the 6Ns. And once performances started to slip I think a collective panic set in the closer we got to the RWC. We’ve heard about how the coaches started getting involved at times they wouldn’t have previously etc.

I don’t think there has been a single year where we failed at a RWC because we put everything into a pool game and treated that game as a final.

I'm not boiling it down to one singular thing, nor am I saying that over-expending ourselves physically and emotionally in the group stage is the sole reason we fail at World Cups. But I do think it's a factor and it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Take 2011 for example, yes the team selection was wrong, but it was very obvious that physically and emotionally, Wales were on a different level to us, it clearly mattered more to them. The XV we put out was still stronger than theirs. They came 2nd in their pool, we came 1st.

Yes in 2015 we had the injuries, but that shouldn't result in us getting absolutely blitzed like we did by an inferior team. If we hadn't put so much into the France game, would we have had so many injuries? Would S.O'B have punched someone in the stomach? Argentina came 2nd in their pool, we came first.

2019 there were of course many factors like lack of evolution in our game plan from the 2018 6N, retention of players who were out of form and past their best etc. But we did not look like a team in the right headspace to play a world cup knockout game, we never looked up for the fight against NZ and we got what was coming to us.

I also feel the fact that our centrally contracted players have their minutes so carefully managed and rarely play more than 3 weeks in a row puts us at a disadvantage. Players based in England and France (which is many of the Wales, SA and Argentina squads) and NZ are well used to playing 5/6 weekends in a row. Outside of World Cups, our players never do that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I also feel the fact that our centrally contracted players have their minutes so carefully managed and rarely play more than 3 weeks in a row puts us at a disadvantage. Players based in England and France (which is many of the Wales, SA and Argentina squads) and NZ are well used to playing 5/6 weekends in a row. Outside of World Cups, our players never do that.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, tbh. Typically for every Tier 1 team, there's at least one group stage game where they have a load of changes.

Yeah but to win a WC, you'll need to play 6 games in 7 weeks. A centrally contracted Irish would never do that.

Perhaps that's a reason why when it comes to the crunch in the knockout stage, our players have nothing left to give, while England, NZ, Wales, SA, Argentina are able to deliver performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd agree it's been a mental issue more than anything. A consistent failure to match intensity levels. There was little difference between the NZ we played in the 1/4s than the one we beat the previous year, yet our performance was so far below how we played then. Likewise Wales in 2011, or France in 2003.

This year's 6ns gives me some hope that we might finally be past this issue. The tour to NZ is massive imo, for that reason. We have to maintain our performance level down there.

But I do think it's a factor and it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I think it should be because its an easy and emotional out to cover up more complicated problems. First of all, teams go out to win games - the last world cup was the first time ever a team has won after losing a pool game. You can't ask the team to take it easy in one of the pool games.

Would we have had as many injuries if we had "taken it easier" against France? Who knows, but I have never noticed much correlation between injuries and difficulty of the game.

The 2011 game was absolutely down to the halfback selection and playing the wrong gameplan for the halfback selection. It was just terrible coaching and nothing to do with not being up for it. Also Wales lost by 1 point to SA in the group stages, I don't think claiming our XV was stronger than theirs is necessarily accurate.

Its just not a sensible comment or approach. You expect the coach to tell his team - "go out and have fun and we don't care about he result"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But equally a centrally contracted player has never had to do that at a RWC because we've never gotten past a QF, so it can't really be a reason for our underperformance.

Personally I think a large part of it is psychological at this stage, and we just need to get the monkey off our back. Similar to our record vs NZ, I don't think it's a surprise we've beaten them twice more post-Chicago.

So when I suggest that physically and emotionally not being on the same level as the opposition might be a factor in our underperformance. You say..

its an easy and emotional out to cover up more complicated problems

but then later you say...

The 2011 game was absolutely down to the halfback selection and playing the wrong gameplan for the halfback selection. It was just terrible coaching and nothing to do with not being up for it.

Aren't you doing there, exactly what you condemned. Using "an easy and emotional out to cover up more complicated problems"

Saying it was just down to the selection and nothing else is over simplistic and reductive. Yes it was the wrong selection, but it was bloody Murray and ROG at halfback, yes neither were at their peak, but still 2 of our best ever players. Wales had f*cking Rhys Priestland at 10.

They were undoubtably more up for the game than we were. Anyone watching it could tell you that after they scored in minute one. Our tackle attempts for Jonathan Davies' try were pathetic. Wales were on a different level to us that day. It was absolutely not "just terrible coaching and nothing to do with not being up for it"

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's both to be honest. There is a psychological issue for sure, but I also think we haven't yet cracked the formula on squad management for a competition like the WC.

Murray in 2011 is not a remote comparison to the Murray that is one of our best ever players. He was terrible (through no fault of his own I might add, should never have been put in that position). Also I said selection and gameplan. Having picked ROG they then played a gameplan that was not remotely suited to him. It was a masterclass in terrible selection and coaching. And based off that, Wales were just a better team.

If you think that Ireland were not that up for the QF cause they had beaten Aus in the group stages then it was a cancerous environment and they were never going to achieve anything. By the same logic I don't really care about winning a QF game as apparently we will be guaranteed to then lose the SF.

I do not believe that Wales were more up for it. I think they were just better, and in particular better coached to nullify our advantages.

Also, again, if we go with your premise I'm not exactly sure what it is you want them to do about it.

If you think that Ireland were not that up for the QF cause they had beaten Aus in the group stages then it was a cancerous environment and they were never going to achieve anything.

No and I never said that.

Whatever about the poor selections (which I agree with you on), we were not on the same level as Wales emotionally that day. Fact.

It was 150% a factor. I never said it was "the" reason, but it was absolutely "a" reason and you can't just dismiss it and say "nah it was all on Kidney", even if much of it was.

well, not being emotionally up for it is also on the coaching and senior players to a degree.

But the point remains - do you think they were not up for it cause they beat Aus in the pool stages and if so what do you suggest? They should have deliberately lost that game?

The logic completely escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Had we taken it easier against France we might have had more in the tank and not had guys injured!? What!? We had guys injured because France were gunning for us physically and because we got a bit unlucky (POCs injury). Us taking it easier in that game wouldn’t have led to France taking it any easier on us. They specifically went out there to beat us up. They talked about it beforehand. Us taking it easier might have actually led to more guys getting injured, not less. And may have led to us losing the game too.

Also, saying we expend ourselves in a game leaving ourselves unable to get up for another isn’t exactly an objective analysis of events. It’s entirely emotive and almost impossible to measure. Saying we selected the wrong half backs and played into the opposition hands is an objective analysis and not in anyway the same as the former.

Also how do you gauge the level teams are on emotionally from the comfort of your couch exactly? To the point you can deem your analysis as fact, in bold no less? That stuff is so incredibly personal and individual I’ve no idea how it’s measurable or observable by complete strangers seeing less than all they need to make that assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Best case would be home and dry before the last group game, give the starters the next match off and hit the QF fresh as Daisies.

Advertisement