Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

I doubt Zelenskyy woke up this morning thinking "Right, if I can talk the Irish around we'll have this sorted in a week". Maybe there's an eye on the future as well but he'll be aiming more getting it picked up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Another summary of the situation days 26 to 29 (light pinch of salt, but generally in line with most assessments)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think they'll have severe difficulty going any further than Kherson, I would expect the Russians to blow the bridges at Kherson and Nova Khakova if they lost control of the north western bank.

I don't know why the Ukrainians hadn't the bridges mined and blow them when this all kicked off. Apart from a railway bridge, the next road bridge across the Dnieper is Zaporizhzhia, 350km upstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Also Ireland imo are taking the correct approach re Ukraine joining the EU. Ukraine as it stands is a divided country, Crimea + Donbas regions. It would make no sense accepting a country that is currently in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

He's not talking about military supplies (of which we have bugger-all anyway, even if we were constitutionally in a position to offer them, which we're not).

He's talking about help with fastracking their EU membership.

• Advertisement

The British bombed German cities first and Germany then started 'The Blitz'. Not sure if Germany were bombing other cities before then.

But, Dresden can't be excused. Go start another thread if you wish to discuss further. Or riddle me why Omagh was a terrorist attack and Dresden wasn't. But, in another thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's also an argument to be made that diplomatic and potentially peacekeeping efforts through the UN would benefit from an Ireland who didn't send lethal aid to Ukraine.

This. What weapons we could send would be in the tupenny hapenny place, but longterm the positives from not doing that will outweigh the negatives. IMHO we should be leveraging our decades of UN peacekeeping and humanitarian and developmental aid to many countries. Since we've chucked out the Church we've sadly also forgotten how thousands of Irish men and women and not just clergy either who "went on the missions" after WW2 and helped build post imperial nations in what used to be termed the "third world". There would be quite the number of older folks in regions like Africa who haven't forgotten that help.

Our position and perception of being one of the very few European nations that didn't have an empire, indeed being one of the few that was under the thumb of one should also play a bigger part in our international politics and actions. We're pretty unique as far as these advantages go and we should be doing more along those lines and not just in Ukraine, but very much in Ukraine after the guns fall silent. We should be among the first to go in to help rebuild the country, something that would benefit them and us enormously, including for the bean counters economically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

What about Cyprus? Its in EU and part of it is occupied by Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I mean people still bang on about the no-fly zone which has been categorically shot down by everyone and their dog; whereas what Ukraine badly needs is anti-air capabilities:

• Slovakia has been given two or three Patriot systems by NATO and still don't seem willing to hand over their soviet stuff to Ukraine.
    • The likes of Finland, Egypt, and Greece have systems which Ukraine could immediately use but there doesn't seem to any movement there even though Egypt were allocated a bunch of fighter orders recently.
    • We're a month in and NATO/EU could have been training Ukrainian crews on one or more NATO systems but I guarantee that hasn't been done either.

The "best" we've seen from the West in terms of further anti-air support is the Starstreak system but that is both short range and only available in very limited quantities; and from what I've seen they have only just started training Ukrainians to use this system in Poland.

And the latest thing is we're hearing about anti-ship missiles which I don't believe the Ukrainians have ever asked for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I am delighted to read that the russian "rabble mob" has chosen to "dig-in" defensively

This is another in a litany of stupid decisions and the Ukrainian Military will have no problem (with satellite assistance) routing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I think Kherson was advanced on very quickly at the start. Also it's probably very difficult for a defending army to convince itself to blow up large pieces of infrastructure; especially in the first days of an active defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It ought to be noted though that Zelensky has been very direct and outspoken in his live address to nearly every Parliament and is not someone afraid to speak his mind. His attitude is 'We're at war and we're being bombed every day, it's no time for niceties'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

My thinking is that it can now be sold as a "cooling down" measure to allow safe retreat of the russians and rapid insertion of humanitarian aid.

I feel it's becoming more of a runner. Never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Actually we have quite an abundance of the exact military supplies they need.

Also there is no constituently bar on sending weapons to Ukraine or troops for that matter if it came to it.

It's all academic anyway, we are giving millions into the EU defence fund for Ukraine, we are just winking saying our money is for "medicine".

That’s not neutrality by any definition. It’s pacifism and opposition to war or violence of any type, which isn’t unreasonable, but we should stop calling it neutrality, as you can’t really be neutral in a situation like this and we are not. We are participating in hefty economic, diplomatic and political sanctions and very definitely standing as part of the EU on this.

I don’t honestly think we would be respected by Russia as peace keepers or negotiation facilitators either. Firstly they don’t seem to have any respect for anything other than projection of power and physical threat and secondly, they are already throwing out statements about we are at the forefront of anti-Russian activity etc etc etc

We also don’t really have any significant diplomatic relations with Russia historically nor are we in anyway close to it physically, culturally or linguistically.

Any role Ireland might imagine it could perform in this is frankly a bit of a fantasy.

We can play strong peace keeping roles in other conflicts. This isn’t likely to be one of those.

It will hopefully, eventually deescalate but I think this will move to being decades of containment/protection from Russia, unless there’s a massive change in direction within Russia itself and that’s only going to happen if the Russians decide to change things and there’s a major political shift.

The grimmer, and I suspect likely, scenario is an evolution and refreshing of some kind of new Cold War, only without communism / capitalism arguments and just an authoritarianism / democracy divide, without any pretence of some kind of dispute over grand concepts of economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I agree 100% , there is a time for neutrality and a time to be stand up and be counted, history wont reflect well on us. The bloody arms we have are never going to be used in anger here anyhow, why not give them to Ukraine and make a friend. Of all countries we should know what its like to stand up to a bully, did the brave Irish men and women who died in the GPO and elsewhere for our freedom not teach us that?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

True but it's a settled position. A bit like ourselves where the division is internationally recognised.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

Let's say you're back in 3rd year in secondary school and towards the end of lunch break get jumped on by a few 6th years díckheads. You can have a friend with you that day, so you're not on your own. One friend isn't the biggest lad, but he'll swing for all he's worth, won't shirk a fight and doesn't mind getting a few slaps for his mate. The other friend is a little bigger, but doesn't agree with fighting. He'll shout at the 6th years to leave you alone, will wipe the blood off your face afterwards and help you back to class, probably buy you a chocolate bar to make you feel better. Which friend would you chose to have with you that day Wibbs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And we are helping there, which he has acknowledged. However EU caution was 100% understandable before this war. Ukraine was the second most corrupt nation in Europe, second only to Russia so a high bar there. It had a raging civil war in her East that has claimed thousands of lives and an extremist problem on top. Now Ukraine was also standing against corruption ans suppor for the extremists had weakened so progress was being made, but before this kicked off it had a ways to go before getting into the EU and rightfully so. That's before broader economic and social issues come into it.

However - and I've been saying this from the get go - this horrific murderous war brought by Russia after the shooting stops and the immeasurable grief cost is counted will IMHO turn out to be one of the best things to happen to Ukraine and her people. She's on the map now and in all our minds and hearts and hands and eyes will be on that nation to grow and be far better than she was before this war.

This is the wonderful irony in all this: Russia and putin claimed(and was his intention) he wanted this "military operation" to turn Ukraine East away from NATO and the EU and the West. If the dopey prick had tried his best he couldn't have done a better job of guaranteeing Ukraine will never again look East or to his Mother Russia. They couldn't be drifting more westwards if the country was parked off West Cork. Russians and western eejits have called putin a chess player. Bollocks, he's at best a poker player and a crap one. He opened with a pair of threes and kept upping the ante while keeping his face stern. And he's lost. Badly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Slowly but surely your thin veil is slipping.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Curious_Case

It is cruelly unfair that the Ukrainians have had to do all the heavy lifting for the "West".

I'm seeing this a few times, now, the idea that the West is sitting back and watching Ukraine fight a battle on the West's behalf, and that it's wrong that the West is not helping more than it is.

Principally, the average Ukrainian soldier is fighting to defend his or her country from an invasion. If the Ukrainians do not want to do this type of fighting, they don't actually have to. They could have just allowed Russian troops into their country, offered no resistance, and given over Zelenskyy in handcuffs to let Putin have his way. Puppet in, carry on with life. But that's not what they're doing. They're taking what is the much harder path, to stand up to Russia and put lives on the line in order to be able to take the path it wants to take as a country. The West is supportive of the direction Ukraine wants to go in, but we've all been over the reasons why Western powers are reticent to put actual boots on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not really same as NI. I don't think anyone recognises it (the "Turkish" bit of Cyprus) apart from Turkey, but I suppose it is defacto "recognised"/accepted because (like Russia) Turkey is a edit: very big country & a world power and noone can actually do anything about this situation without their agreement, or alternatively fighting a war with them.

Finally, also exporters like Canada are going to increase their production to help cover the shortfall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭yagan

People often overlook that Kyiv has been fighting Russian forces within Ukraine since 2014, so a Ukrainian victory over Russian forces in their country would be the most uncontested path to restore national integrity, and a securer eastern EU border. After Putin it has to be clear to any successor that the future Russia does not involve any Soviet era legacies.

There's a warning for us in this too, in that we don't know what demons a few decades of post brexit poverty will create in Britain, so a more robust EU defence is pact is far more preferable to NATO membership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Volodymyr Zelensky thinks Ireland are half in half out in our support for Ukraine, he wants our anti-tank weapons to prove him wrong?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement