Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I have often complained about the lore and story delivery in these games, I am fine with the minimalist approach but they take it too far usually and I haven't a clue what I am doing or why and IMO the games do suffer. For example I had no idea wtf was going on in BB to the point that I didn't even know that I was fighting the final boss until the credits rolled. I always wanted just a little bit more from them and I think Elden Ring is giving me that. It is still as obscure as always with tonnes of backstory for the YTers to to delve into, but it actually does reinforce the main plot and characters every now and then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Credits have rolled. Not going to lie, cheesed the first phase of the final boss, but only because second phase is a dick. Too many AOE and tracking attacks and I died twice because while running away from them I was invisible-walled by the arena. But still, 102hours, and I almost never farmed (at least not compared to other games), so it's fine, I earned it.

Has definitely taken 2nd place in favourite FromSoftware games. Only doesn't beat Sekiro because the combat system in Sekiro is just so sublime. But the sheer scale of this game, the level of choice, the level design, the atmosphere, the exploration... absolutely incredible. The game never stopped amazing me or showing me something different throughout the entire playthrough. I need a break from it, yet after 102 hours I still want to start another playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got to the Capital at level 54, 28 hours in. I feel like i got here too early. Haven't explored much of the Atlus Plateau. Killed some bosses, ran from others. Main gate of the capital was closed so i ran around until i found a way in. In the heart of the capital now and it's huge, not sure where to go but every path I've taken so far has been met with lots of death. Found a gate sealed by Margot so i guess he/she is next.

I got the colossal dragon claw sword which is class but has reminded me that i don't like the big slow weapons. Got the cool dragon claw great shield as well but like my last one, the shield bash has overridden my bloody Slash, can't be bothered with traipsing around to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

had a few rough runs co-oping Rennala earlier, I tend to lose composure when something "fromsoft" happens. 1st run, two joined and it was a walk in the park right up to the point we killed her and she simultaneously one hit killed me from full health, that's ok setbacks happen. Next run my co-op partner died early and the boss took the opportunity to summon a huge fcuking dragon. Wheels came off then and I fell off the bridge on my way back to the boss fight. Couple of more unnecessary deaths followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Stand up straight, Rya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fextralife have updated their interactive map for Elden ring and have also included a checklist option for VIP members. Might be an option for people at $30 a year ($3 per month)

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Interactive+Map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks for responses suggesting this would work.

Just to confirm it is running smoothly on the 970. Didn't change any of the default settings it loaded with, which set graphics quality to "high". I don't know if these settings are the normal default or whether it took a look at my system and decided what graphics settings it could handle. Anyway this gtx 970 continues to give good service after 7/8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Finished 1st playthrough at level 160. 85 hours of pure joy.

Post edited by DarC_Kn1ght on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Is there a point of no return in this?

I have beaten the fire giant and now I am at the big pile of ashes. Usually in these games that means it is about to end or I am about to fight the last boss. I have played this for a month solid and want to move onto something different. Ideally I want to come back to it and finish the rest of the side content later on, so I don't want to be launched straight into NG+ like I was in Demon's Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

If you have seen fellow lads posts here - don't worry, the game keeps going

(and going) ahaha.

• Advertisement

You're safe for now. Everything is still open and available. There's a site of grace at the rim of the forge thing which progresses the story and brings you to the next area. Once you complete the next area though (Crumbling Fazur Alum or whatever its called), the Leyndell City changes and you lose access to most of it. But everything else outside of that is still available.

Just beat Margot on my 3rd go, feeling kind of badass, not gonna lie.

Yeah and if going for achievements / trophies there is a highly missable weapon if you progress passed to point you mention.

Well speaking of missable trophies, I took a look at any trophies I hadn't gotten and saw two boss trophies, ones I'd skipped, so said I'd do them this evening. One was fine. The other one, Dragonkin of Nokstella... third try, I nearly had him, but he killed me at the last second. However, Mimic kill him while I was still dying. When I respawned, I got the weapon for killing him, but no runes, and no trophy. F*cker isn't there any more either.

Doesn't matter much as I'd have to replay for the other ending trophies and I didn't get all the legendary weapons/talismans etc anyway, but man if that had been the last trophy or the final ending playthrough....

Lady Tanith's goal intrigues me. I think I'll side with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Must of had 15 attempts at this guy this evening, had him almost dead 3 times and then he just smashed each time before I could get one last spell off to kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not high enough, got as far as red wolf and getting wiped in seconds. Back to Ainsel river instead

I think i was about the same level. My puppet soldier ashes who shoot the arrows and my blood slash uchi made quick work of him. The puppet guys are a great distraction in a boss.

I got to castle Sol, can't even beat one of the enemies in the courtyard, never mind the 2nd one as well. Between doing barley any damage and they do a ton, not sure if it's a sign to go away and come back later.

Headed back to the round and a guy told me about a woman hiding on a cave, found her and sure enough she has a quest for me on castle sol..

On other news, i switched out my blood slash to fire strike and I'm really liking the fire damage.

Spent half an hour grinding for the aristocrat hat for a Bloodborne look. It finally drops, I put it on and I don't like it. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's sometimes underappreciated how funny Fromsoft games can be. I mean, wandering into a relatively generic cave in Consecrated Snowfield, going through the fog gate and encountering a stronger, harder-hitting version of one of the game's already trickier bosses is a pretty great gag.

Especially if the player hadn't done that side stuff where you encounter the lower version of that boss. That'd be hilarious.

Yes yes. And i think actually, the players know that very well lol. Because the game is literally like From cracking jokes with us - without saying a word to players.

Godskin. Crabs and Lobsters (and a guy cooking lobster this time lmao). The suicidal Caelid divine tower (I just realized there is a basement level last night lmao). Radahn and his scrawny horse (links to his gravity magic and links to the stars ahah). And ya, plenty of those lulz moments like seeing those mofo as field bosses (I posted before when i saw them not 1, not 2, not 3...but more at the same time lol). And of course the funniest item this time around for me is the Cat talisman (prevent fall damage but not death caused by fall😂).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just love the goofy traps. Finished Raya Academy last night and that giant metal ball set piece, I can't even be mad about it. The goofiness is one of the things I love about their games and it's been with them since King's Field.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh that isn't even the best giant metal ball gag From has put in this game! (Minor spoiler below)

The ones in the Eternal City that are standard enemy mobs and can sometimes one-shot you if you even touch them are very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When you start their very first game King's Field there's a good chance the first enemy you encounter in the game is most likely a skeleton behind a very obvious secret door that is about 10 levels above what you starting out stats can handle.

And people give out about missing the tutorial is elden ring.

Especially when it gets slightly stuck going around a corner and looks like it's trying to sneak up on you. That genuinely gave me a few laugh out loud moments.

I was fighting the two monks behind the Stonesword door before the bridge there. Took down one and stepped back towards the door to aim at the other one. Was immediately hit and killed by the sentient ball which had decided to casually wander roll over from across the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Did the Caelid Divine tower last night, those first 2 guards you meet when you eventually gain access must be profit sharing, such is the skill and enthusiasm they displayed at murdering me over and over again.

Made it all the way to the bottom, and defeated the quite cool boss down there, just wondering, how do I get to the top of the tower? I didn't find a key, so must have missed a lift or ladder somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Don't go down the stairs to the two guards from the site of grace, go the opposite direction and open the door on the left

Advertisement