Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road legal dirtbike

Options
  • 16-01-2022 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I was just wondering can you make your dirtbike road legal in ireland and if so how do you go about doing it thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

I imagine you would need to bring it to be VRT'd. But it would need indicators and road lights fitted.

The easiest option is find the road legal equivilent bike that was crashed but still has a good frame and swap all the parts over and register a new engine against the owners document

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KX250F

Thanks a million goblin59

no worries! you could email the VRT office directly to see what they say.

Don't mention the frame swapping thing, not technically the correct way to do it. just saves a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I think if you move to Finglas or Ballyfermot they automatically become legal and dont need to be taxed or insured either!

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

First the bike has to meet Eu regulations so would need a certificate of conformity. That rules out all MX bikes like yzf's yz's crf's cr's husvarna tc/fc ktm sxf ect..., so only proper enduro bikes like Husqvarna Te or fe's, yamaha wr's, honda crfx's ktm exc's plus a few others. then you will need to be able to prove vat was paid, if not they will charge vat plus vrt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

or buy a road legal bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

frame swapping is legal. I bought a crashed H100S many moons ago, with a bent frame.

Bought a brand spanking new Honda frame from Dave Silver Spares for £30. Took 1 weekend to swap over everything.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think the Irish reg much stricter than in some countries... i have seen bikes on the road abroad with any lights or speedo...

I think its only legal if the bike was road registered in the first place.

But in saying that, if the frame you buy comes with a log book and was road legal, then thats your bike now, the non road legal bike is the doner bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

because it would be similar to importing a bike.

A dirtbike hasn't got a license plate issued against the VIN number, so you would need to bring it in for an inspection for a centre to check that it has all the needed bits to become road legal and then they need to issue you with a license plate number.

Post edited by Pat Dunne on

Just like any other motorbike, VRT is paid during the importation process of MX, Trials and Enduro bikes.

Obtaing a Registration for a vehicle is totally different to the VRT process.

Besides, competition Enduro and Trials bikes are manufactured to be road legal and many do have Registration numbers.

To make a Motocross bike road legal is a very involved process. As MX bikes are designed for closed track racing. The bike would have to be extensively reworked to make it road worthy, particularly in the areas of Emissions, eg Exhaust and Noise. A Lighting system would have designed manufactured and installed, Road legal tyres, Speedo and Mirrors would have to be fitted.

The easiest way, is to get a proper competitor Enduro bike, which is manufactured to road legal and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yeah..Best way is sell your dirtbike and buy a road legal one. There's too much red-tape and afaik expense/work headache involved otherwise.

Because we have an arrangement with other EU countries + UK to recognoise the equivalent to NCT/MOT... Does this not mean that if i buy a bike with current cert in any of the listed countries that has this cert i can drive after paying relevant duties...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We don't have a motorbike equivalent of the NCT. If a bike is road legal in another EU state it'll be road legal here, so you can ride what you like once it's got an Irish plate and YOU make sure it's road legal and safe.

Well dirt bikes are road legal in some countries without headlights and indicators so they can be driven here from what you say... I expect we would have to show legal road documents from the country we importing from...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just like any other motorbike, VRT is paid during the importation process of MX, Trials and Enduro bikes.

Obtaing a Registration for a vehicle is totally different to the VRT process.

?!?!?! at that rate you'd be paying VRT on a ride on lawnmower

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I know the UK has daylight-only MOT to allow bikes without lights on the road etc, not sure about the EU. But, UK is not in the EU now anyway, so what they do/don't is moot.

I imported a road-legal Enduro a good few years ago, so I know exactly what's involved. A friend bought a CRF and gave up in the end.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

I can get a 1987 Derbi (not donkey) that was owned from new... all it has is wheels and handlebars... i'd love to bring it in but be better if i could use to access the local countryside...

so have you got all the rest of the bike here, to build it, if all you're bringing in is the rolling frame ?

At that age (and size of bike) VRT is a pittance anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

Sorry the bike is complete and i will likely bring in regardless if i can find a good transport option... it has no speedo.. indicator or mirror... its 2 stroke...

Lawn Mowers, along with Agricultural machinery and Large Buses/Coaches and Earth Moving Equiptment are exempt from VRT.

I worked in the Motorcycle trade in the 1980’s the company imported Competition Trials and MX bikes, these bike were all subject to Import Duty.

Import Duty, which was the forerunner of VRT was levied on each and every Motorcycle regardless, if it was for the Road, Track or Trail. In the late 80’s the EU stated that Ireland could no longer levy Import Duty on Motor Vehicles, so the just changed it classification from Duty to Tax, Vehicle Registration Tax.

The Revenue Commissioner have always seen the Motor trade as a cash cow and nothing will persuade them other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But that was the 1980s. Import duty was banned within the EU in 1992 and we replaced it with a registration tax, VRT.

Off-road vehicles are not registered so not subject to VRT.

Customs duties may still apply if imported from outside the EU but that's true of any type of goods.

We were specifically talking about VRT and the process of registering a bike (in effect the same thing as you can't do one without the other). If a bike or any other vehicle is never used on-road then it doesn't need to be registered and VRT will not be paid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lawn Mowers, along with Agricultural machinery and Large Buses/Coaches and Earth Moving Equiptment are exempt from VRT.

If you want to use them on the road they aren't exempt from VRT, it's €200 to register them.

• Advertisement

Please show me the official document from the Revenue Commissioners that states, Off Road Bikes are exempt from VRT and I happily wave this in front on the Official doing the VRT valuation on my next Off Road that I import.

Advertisement