Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

O'Sullivan is a regular contributor to the IT and as a female athlete of some 40 years generally worth listening to and reading. This question will not be addressed by seeking refuge behind data nor belittling people's opinions. Her issue is women's sports, yours is something else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lia Thomas is 1.85m, for women that is 1% of the US population, where the average height of a woman is 1.61m. My own feeling on seeing the photo was, enormous height, very long arms and that this is an absolutely massive advantage in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What height was every other competitor in that race?

Can't state whether or not LT had an 'advantage' without knowing that - the height of the 'average' woman is not relevant.

Neither are your feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

what does the height of an average woman have to do with it, he's a man i just don't get this at all it's bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard Sonia on the radio last on Newstalk, interesting to hear that although she had the Irish womens record times none of her times would have got into the top 100 of the Irish mens record times. Clearly being a man is a big advantage in running and swimming, how can anyone argue otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Look at almost any sport women compete at and imagine someone like Lia Thomas entering the field of play. I watch a bit of the womens golf from time to time. The LPGA that Leona Maguire is starting to make waves in. Imagine if someone like Rory McIlroy or Jon Rahm or Bubba Watson decided they’ve been in the wrong body and goes through the process of identifying as a woman. They would dominate the woman’s game without question. So what then happens to Leona Maguire, Brooke Henderson, the Korda sisters etc. suddenly they are playing for 2nd place. I just don’t see that as fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

%

Can you tell me who is arguing for men to compete against women?

I haven't seen anyone from the 'transgender people should be able to compete against the gender they identify' side argue to that - but perhaps I missed it.

I have said I, personally, don't care if a woman decides to get into a boxing ring against a man. But I don't think that would make for a fair sporting occasion.

If we are talking about fair competition in terms of physical ability then most are happy enough with the current rules where participation is determined by hormone levels. It's not ideal, but fairer that seeing a medically transitioned transgender man compete against women which would happen if biology was the determining factor.

Ironic tho that the 'decide by biology' side of the debate are mostly silent about seeing a transgender man - bulkier due to testosterone, possibly bearded - compete against women. Apparently that's fair because 'biology'.

i wonder what feminists think of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Ironic tho that the 'decide by biology' side of the debate are mostly silent about seeing a transgender man - bulkier due to testosterone, possibly bearded - compete against women. Apparently that's fair because 'biology'.

I don't know who is saying that. Not an expert on this, but having a beard or looking male is not the issue, it's the rules around using testosterone as a performance enhancing drug. Trans men can compete against men because they don't have an unfair advantage there so long as their T levels are in a normal range, I would think.

Which ones?

Or do you think Feminism is some kind of political party where we have to toe the party line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In general terms Irish feminism is mostly trans inclusive but there a minority who are trans exclusionary.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,124 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I expect each media outlet to have a fixed position on everything, because they normally do, or at least they did in the past when they dominated the media landscape, and they had their own political slant on everything from the issues of the day to opinion pieces. It’s why people know what to expect from tabloids, and they’re rarely ever disappointed, and people know what to expect from broadsheets, and they too are rarely ever disappointed. In modern times that seems to have been turned on it’s head with media outlets engaging in outrage journalism. Can you really say you haven’t noticed?

They weren’t strawmanning though, maybe you weren’t aware of them, but those are the sorts of arguments have been used to argue against transgender peoples participation in sports. That’s why the data is interesting, apart from anything else it just doesn’t support claims one way or the other, because it focuses on a single athletes performance against their previous form and the current form of their competition - it’s not a reliable indication of anything, it can’t be used to argue anything either way, but it’s data, and I do love data and statistics, I understand at the same time that other people don’t share my interest in data, which is fair enough.

The variation within both sexes is a legitimate point, that’s why the article points out that the basketball teams in both sexes, the players are much taller than among the general population - they would be, the team coaches and selectors select for height in basketball, where their height gives them a considerable advantage in basketball, and training builds on that to develop skills and coordination and all the rest of it.

The point really being made about Ledecky is that she could compete with men, but of course that would incur accusations that she is taking a man’s place etc if she were actually ever to win a competition. Be fine if she were just an exhibition, like a freak show, as long as she’s not a threat to parents who are living their lives vicariously through their own children.

What are you basing that opinion, disguised as fact, on?

I’d say she’s always worth listening to, some people would say she’s only worth listening to when her opinions agree with theirs. Which one are you?

”Seeking refuge behind data”

I actually DO believe you typed that with a straight face, just like the legacy athletes who typed with a straight face that Lia Thomas shouldn’t be permitted to participate in sports, and if they weren’t going to have that much, that any record of their participation be scrubbed from existence (thereby making it impossible to gather data), and if they couldn’t have that, that Lia Thomas be excluded from competition, but permitted to exhibit alongside what they called the highest levels of competition in women’s sports, as if they actually have any say in sports. They’re women, they don’t get a say in anything! 😏

‘Twas a joke, I do that a lot, most of the time they fail to land because I’m shìt at jokes 😂

The point being made IS that nobody is saying it, because women competing with men is not perceived as being the same threat to mens sports as the idea of men competing with women in women’s sports.

The same arguments which are being made to exclude men would also apply to women if they look like men in women’s changing rooms, etc, with the effect that the same reasoning which is used to try and exclude men, would also apply to exclude women!

Women who look like men IS an issue for a few people, and the only reason I say it’s a few people is because most people don’t appear to give a stiff one, one way or the other. Disagreement or support for their participation doesn’t appear to delineate neatly along lines of gender or sex either.

Yes, yes, that old smarmy trope which purposely ignores context. Similar arguments were made against other groups in society too in order to maintain discrimination and exclusion, most recently in the lead up to the marriage equality referendum, when the same argument was made that homosexuals already have the same right to marry as everyone else, so they want special treatment.

Same argument was used to maintain discrimination and exclusion of anyone who wasn’t considered white - they’re not people, they’re property. They’re just looking for special treatment.

Same argument was used to maintain discrimination and exclusion of anyone who wasn’t considered a man - they’re not men, they’re property. They’re just looking for special treatment.

Same argument was used to maintain discrimination and exclusion of anyone who wasn’t considered able-bodied - they’re disabled, they’re holding social progress back and detracting from the human race, they’re biologically inferior. They’re just looking for special treatment.

It’s not clever.

• Advertisement

Ok so if you have a different opinion to jack it's smarmy and you're not clever, not very inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You keep saying "same argument" while making arguments that are in no way, shape or form similar.

Oh don’t be such a drama queen! I was pointing out the issue with that particular line of argument - change the bloody record. It’s the same tune, only the lyrics differ each time.

I’ve never taken issue with anyone being exclusive or discriminatory, that’s entirely their own business.

When they use the same shìtty arguments to justify their prejudices and maintain discrimination in policies though, and they’re doing it on the basis of the same arguments that were debunked decades earlier and shown since then to be unwarranted scaremongering, then yes, you can bet I’ll point out that it’s a smarmy old trope that was used before their arse was as big as a shirt button to deny other people equal participation in society and maintain discrimination and prejudice.

It’s the same sort of argument is behind the idea that parents of children who are transgender, if they sought treatment for their children, would be considered child abusers.

Thankfully the Courts in Texas told them GTFO -

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/us/texas-transgender-child-abuse.html

Jack, it's a nice day the sun is shining, take a breath it's only a discussion, and like it or not everyone is entitled to their opinion, even you.

None of those are comparable.

People are asking that women and men are allowed to have their own segregated sports so as to level the playing field as much as possible.

Transwomen are biological men.

That's not an opinion.

That's not discrimination.

It's a fact.

It's no different than claiming that sports which adhere to weight categories or age categories should be outlawed.

Are those categories an affront to people who feel slimmer or younger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This open letter signed by thousands of Irish cis women. The National Womens Council of Ireland is trans inclusive, has a trans woman on its board and has member organisations that represent hundreds of thousands of Irish women. Theres a few loud tiny fringe groups in Ireland but most Irish feminists, feminist organisations and womens organisations are trans inclusivse.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That open letter doesn't hold much weight as its unverifiable but i'll concede the National Women's council of Ireland.

But also, **** lol at the quote on their site

"By ‘woman’ we refer to any person who identifies as a woman."

I just find it a bit weird as below is the definition of feminism

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

So on these grounds, shouldn't feminism have a problem with men pretending to be women and winning womens races, and prize money at a time when womens sport is finally getting recognized and having their prize money and sponsorship multiply. It just seems very unfair for any woman trying to compete on equal terms. Why not have a trans only event like the special olympics ?

Sexes are so equal, they are literally interchangeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

My data is the results of every sporting contest ever. Are you seriously saying that that data is useless. That somehow I have manipulated the actual data to be biased (I said nothing of conclusioons, I said data. It is the data you are attempting to rubbish, laughably). And I didn't say anything about how the data reflects anything about transgender athletes. The vast majority of the world accepts that the data shows that athletes of the male sex outperform athletes of the female sex in general (and consistently). You appear to be one of the few who unable to grasp that, godloveya.

Advertisement