Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The second friend. You're getting slaps regardless, but with the second guy you're getting support after it and a chocolate bar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He may even have been misquoted. A Ukrainian speaker on Twitter is suggesting he said 'Well, practically' and not 'Well, almost'.....very easy for things to get lost in translation if English is not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Is it clear though. That Aughinish alumina issue is a real murky one that has our politicians hiding in plain sight. No one wants to jeopardise an industry that will tear the heart out of the Shannon estuary region but to the wider world it is definitely not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The "West" absolutely should have done more - humanitarian air drops at a minimum, but with an implicit threat that the shooting down of a plane would be met with a response.

This escapade has exposed and weakened Russian capability, thereby giving the "West" a huge advantage in terms of assessment.

I understand the reasons for not enforcing a no-fly zone and I'm only in favour of it now because NATO didn't go in immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Even when that Government was hijacked, and is not a true representation of of the people? Putin's reign was born in blood, 3 apartment blocks blown up, hundreds dead. A 4th apartment was also to be blown up, but the people living there caught the bombers red handed. and they turned out to be FSB. Since then Putin has rode a coach and four through the Russian Constitution every election, stealing them, stuffed ballot boxes, coercion etc. You name it Putin has done it. Putin is no more the genuinely elected President of Russia than I am. See what happens protesters on the streets of Moscow ( or any other Russian City) the present day. If in the past if free fair and democratic elections had been held, so you honestly think Putin would have been elected? Personally I doubt it very much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Vlad talking about cancel culture now. Doesn't exist in Russia apparently.

He knows how to infinitely cancel people anyway.

One perspective of Ukrainian strategy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yes and people call Putin a chess player and a genius. Easy be a genius and a chess player when you can murder and ‘suicide’ your opponents at will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe it's more we are giving little but could do more .

And he's right , taken in 100,000 refugees with no where to put them or no real infrastructure to deal with a population increase like that,

But there is more we could be doing possibly in Poland ,we do have a few thousand anti tank weapons that could be sent ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Curious_Case

The "West" absolutely should have done more - humanitarian air drops at a minimum, but with an implicit threat that the shooting down of a plane would be met with a response.

Therein lies the problem. NATO/the West are not going to volunteer an intervention, even a humanitarian one, where it risks an escalation, so threatening to retaliate if the mission is shot at risks that very escalation. It's a conservative policy, for sure, but the stakes of escalation in conflict are quite high, to put it mildly. In stark realpolitik terms, it seems they've weighed the risk of that as being more significant than the devastation being wreaked upon Mariupol.

It's more likely that the Russians could agree to more robust humanitarian corridors be put in place and let the Red Cross and such organisations work unencumbered, although they have even resisted that. Given that the Russian tactic appears to be to starve the city into submission, they're going to try to prevent anything getting in any which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Our position and perception of being one of the very few European nations that didn't have an empire, indeed being one of the few that was under the thumb of one should also play a bigger part in our international politics and actions."

Do you honestly think this patting ourselves on the back, matters much of a whit to anyone else? The friendliest wee nation, the best education system, a country that has Irish as it's first language etc etc. All self delusion. Useless.

And whilst we didn't have an empire in the 'age of empires', we sure as well propped up and populated empires. Not least with priests, other countries may have robbed resources, we robbed their beliefs.

You are kidding. 😂 The man has an atomic powered reality distortion field that's for sure.

I do feel sorry for the interpreters covering these live speeches. Sky news just had Putin translated as saying.. "... they even cancelled Joe Rogan, who wrote children's books enjoyed by millions throughout the world, because of comments about gender equality."

At least I assume it was a translation error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

Why choose to make a comparison with the UK?

All you've said is that 10,000 are expected - they haven't been welcomed yet.

The British response regarding refugees has received much criticism within the UK.

Regardless of the government's sluggishness in this matter, there is considerable support and practical aid from the people.

Unnecessary comments fron a generally well respected poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Yeah, because he has time to analyse situation in each country in full detail. He needs to focus on this war at hand and needs weapons urgently. I fully support his efforts. He is fighting for the whole world peace. Your rant is no better than criticising him for wearing a T-shirt in video calls. Get your priorities right!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Sky news just had Putin translated as saying.. "... they even cancelled Joe Rogan, who wrote children's books enjoyed by millions throughout the world, because of comments about gender equality.........

That Joe Rogan classic : Harry Pothead and the philosophers stoned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Also, if you look at the context of what he said to other countries, it's not clear at all that it's a criticism or if so, to what degree:

France, Emmanuel [Macron], I really believe that you will be for us. Slovenia is for us. Slovakia — for us. The Czech Republic is for us. Romania knows what dignity is, so it will stand for us at the crucial moment. Bulgaria stands for us. Greece, I believe, stands with us. Germany … a little later. Portugal — well, almost … Croatia stands for us. Sweden — yellow and blue should always stand together. Finland — I know you are with us. The Netherlands stands for the rational, so we’ll find common ground. Malta — I believe we will succeed. Denmark — I believe we will succeed.

He continued: “Luxembourg — we understand each other. Cyprus — I really believe you are with us. Italy — thank you for your support! Spain — we’ll find common ground. Belgium — we will find arguments. Austria, together with Ukrainians, it is an opportunity for you. I’m sure of it. Ireland — well, almost.”

(My emphasis)

He appears to have noticed a few countries in addition to Ireland that aren't quite there yet, and reading between the lines, a number seem further away in his mind than Ireland. Given his situation, I'd be inclined to go easy on the judgements, and remember that Eastern Europeans tend in my experience to be quite blunt and tiptoe around things a lot less than we do.

It also seems that the context is Ukraine's quick accession to the EU rather than a question of military or humanitarian aid.

There seem to be two common responses to his comments:

(1) Abuse because he went off script and failed to tell the Irish how wonderful we are. (Is there a Ukrainian word for "plámás"?) 🙂

(2) Rage at the perceived threat to the neutrality sacred cow.

Or a mix of both.

• Advertisement

It is also the fact that Central (including Germany) and East Europeans are direct people, while Westerners are indirect people. I am a Pole so his way od speaking is the most right and effective way, even if it might feel like a rude one to indirect people.

Dashcam footage is the answer to anyone claiming that the Russians haven't produced anything of value in the last 30 years...

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Zelensky is using his brand (which is, right now, 100% the biggest and most powerful brand in the Western world) as leverage. He's looking to the consumers of his brand (us) to force our governments into more and deeper support for Ukraine on all levels - sanctions, humanitarian, military aid, financial, EU membership.

And fair play to him. He is doing exactly the right thing for his country. If any people listening to his message don't like it, tough luck.

Ironic considering the Stalinism he so loves was the Nirvana of cancel culture.

Tony Connelly was saying on the News at One that Irish foreign affairs officials are not even entirely clear about what aspect of help Zelensky might have been referring to, but overall nobody seems too put out.

If Fallout 3 had driving it would look like this.

• Advertisement

Indeed, I'm struck by how direct and blunt he is - but then again, his city is being bombed daily and there are plenty of people who want him dead, so he has every right to be blunt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement