Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

The less I look the better it gets, with Cheltenham and short work week just gone I didn't have as much time to stare at daily stock price movements which I know is obviously silly however great week of green arrows. Surely more volatility incoming but nice break from all the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

It's been in my watch list about 6 months now and I'm looking to rotate some profits into something new... Yours could be the post to get me off the fence. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Back to profit in 4D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yeah, heady days, most of my portfolio is back in green. Sadly I bailed out early from Nio, Alibaba & Cloudflare (just couldn't be taking the losses).

Some pundits talking about tough times ahead for the markets in this brave new world of higher interest rates..... what are people's thoughts, eg. focus on value stocks or just keep a big bag of cash on the sidelines, ready to pick off bargains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tough to know really, technical analysts will tell you breaking the 200d average on the way up is a buy signal, others will say this is just a "relief rally" (ie it's going down again).

Personally, I look at the PS ratio as my go-to. Most of the growth stocks I like are at crazy low PS Ratio right now. My rule is not to buy when PS is greater than 35. A few time sin the last year, my whole portfolio was above 35, now all the big guns are under that, Shopify, AirBnB under 20, Docusign, Twilio under 10. That's a buy opportunity for me. IT might go down in the short term, but I'm happy that 5 years time it'll be back to over 35.

• Advertisement

I pumped a fair bit in Jan Feb, going to keep powder dry during this little upsurge as can see more down days / weeks ahead.

Will keep adding to existing picks, mostly GOOGL, AMZN, SHOP, TTD, DIS, NKE, ABNB, ISRG etc at some stage with a bit of cash that I should have ready to deploy next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

4D flying today.

It would appear 4D shareholder Steve Olivera's selling of 4D stock is over and seemingly very positive results today for patients with advanced cancer:

https://www.4dpharmaplc.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/positive-interim-results-phase-i-ii-mrx0518-keytruda-renal-cell-carcinoma

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wgk

Long suffering 4d pharma holder here from £1.80 down to 29p - sitting on 20,000 shares at 70p average, after thinking today was never on the horizon, battling internally on whether this is the first of many positive developments…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

My average now is around 76p but I'm already regretting not loading up sub 30p.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

4D Pharma has never turned a profit. Why would you buy into a company like that? Way too risky, better to buy an established company with consistency and just wait and buy it cheap.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Have to aggree. I have punted on a few small Pharma/Med tech companies over the years....lost money on them ALL!!

Last year I changed tack ..and invested in the big boys ..

Pfizer, Abbvie, Bristol Meyers Squib & Eli Lilly. Very happy with my results. Abbvie in particular is a beast 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wgk

Ordinarily I’d agree but studied this one for a long time and the extent to which the founders have their own skin in the game etc was impressive….directors invested couple of million each at £1.10 less than a year ago!

Also was struck but the number of pipeline projects they have, usually these outfits are banking the kitchen sink on 1-2 breakthrough drugs but 4D seems to be bringing a whole new class of biotherapeutics to the table.

Finally the fact that they actually are heavily collaborating with the “big boys” like Merck etc was a confidence booster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Pfizer, Abbvie and AZ are among my best performers the last 12 months (there are not many others!). The one concern I had with big pharma was their size/success, and how policy/govt might interfere. Covid may have helped them in this regard, it not only boosted revenue, but has proven their R&D capabilities are essential. I doubt tackling big pharma is high on anyones agenda right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Rubles :) after the Russian Gov ordered Gasprom to only accept Rubles for Energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Am I right in assuming 4D Pharma are on a path to stop cancer? Small test sample but wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just a note on this as someone who works in the industry.

There is no one “cure” for cancer. Cancer represents over a hundred different diseases with different mechanisms and aetiologies. It’d be like saying they have a Cure for viruses in general. They might have a cure for certain specific forms of cancer, but I would be wary. Every second year there’s what’s heralded as a new silver bullet - it rarely materialises or lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Interesting article on what the war in Ukraine could mean for the global economy.

However, Fink predicts Russia’s aggression in Ukraine will prompt governments and companies to re-evaluate their dependencies on other countries and could lead some to onshore or nearshore more of their operations.

“The Russian invasion of Ukraine has put an end to the globalisation we have experienced over the last three decades,” he wrote in the 10-page letter to shareholders.

If he is right then we are looking at even more inflation and an economic decoupling between the West and China / Russia

I'm not sure how feasible it is to decouple the economies of the West and China.

It would take decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Why? Do you think that Russia under Putin is going to be acceptable to the West any time soon?

China under Xi is an even greater long term threat, let's not pretend he is anything different from Putin.

This is not economics it is geopolitics. Sure it will really hurt the West but Xi will hurt much much more.

I would say it would take 5 years to decouple

I didn't mention Russia.

The economies of The West and China are so interconnected any rapid decoupling would wreak havoc on the global economy.

• Advertisement

Nearing a negative 5% in my portfolio that was near - 30% not so long ago, clawing back!

Continue to buy near future: DIS, NKE & TTD

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Still getting nice gains from this. Gonna leave them sit until I see how the EU will handle the energy crisis. If they use Rubles for transactions it should see more gains v EUR.

Elon Musk puts his hand in his pocket and Twitter (TWTR) jumps up 25% in a day. Thank you Elon. I've been sitting on that one for a while now.

Elon Musk snaps up $3bn Twitter stake - BBC News

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Portfolio back in the green for the first time since (checks notes) Feb 15th! Feels like a lot longer than that...

And I currently do not hold any twitter...everything taking a bump today.

Not very ESG, but took a little position in Aeronvironment (AVAV - NASDAQ), last week, its a favourite of Cathie Woods.

Unmanned Aircraft solutions. Something called the "Switchblade" has been used by Ukraine (courtesy of Joe Biden via some intermediary countries) looks like its able to blow up tanks.

https://www.avinc.com/uas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

been adding to Disney this past month , anyone see it heading towards $100 ?

long term i think its great value but very much stuck this past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

PANR up 92% since posting.

FIND up 58% since posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not feeling good about the market tbh. Increasing talk of recession in the US next year.

I was down 12% overall and the BABA jump took me to 2% in the green in the space of a few days but now I'm back down to over 4% down. :/

Munger sells 1/2 of Alibaba (BABA) stocks in The Daily Journal;

Charlie Munger-Tied Daily Journal Newspaper Slashes Alibaba (9988) Stake in Half - Bloomberg

Details here. He bought 300,00 shares at $118 and sold at $108

DATAROMA Stock Activity History

• Advertisement

Munger just sold half of his Alibaba shares.

Advertisement