Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭StarryPlough01

John_Rambo said:

"I see Leo Varadkar and his partner Matt Barrett have registered with the Irish Red Cross offering to take in refugees from Ukraine. Can't see Healy Rea doing something like that without getting his paw greased."

I wondered why Leo Varadkar felt the need to mention that he was registered with Irish Red Cross, should they call him.

Compare and contrast Michael Healy Rae's quiet dignity

Tony (a caller to the Joe Duffy Show) explained how Michael Healy Rae and his Secretary helped his transgender brother transition 'over last 6 years':

Caller Tony said:  'Going back to 7 years ago,' 'Healy Rae helped his brother (36 years old) transition (to being his sister) over last 6 years  - with mental health issues, social exclusion, trying to organise housing that was a safe place for his sister. "

"Michael and his secretary went above and beyond what any other POLITICIAN was approached for help done."  

"Words can be twisted to suit an agenda'.

Tony said he came on "basically to say what Michael Healy-Rae did for his family when nobody else would do it.  And his family are "very very grateful to Michael and his secretary" for the assistance they provided." 

To be honest with you, John_Rambo, I was moved on hearing this. Apparently, Michael Healy Rae doesn't feel the need to say how he helps LGBTQ individuals, instead he chose to remain silent. Healy Rae helped to turn this person's life around for the better. Truly inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

OK Slimey is that better? And that is no reflection on ethnicity/sexuality/class, just a comment on his personal handling of situations that he has found himself in.

The fact that Leo has had to resort to lowering himself (as he does quite often) to using his sexuality as something to defend himself with is just childish and shows someone who has no other means of defense when questions are asked. Its a deflection tactic.

I never thought "class" would come into Irish politics. Obviously some people on here think "class" is an issue. Is that making people in Ireland "better" than they actually are? As far as I am aware the only "class" of people in Ireland that is separate from "normal" people are those that think they are morally and socially untouchable thanks to the contacts they have.

Leo taught MHR nothing.

The only thing that was on display in this childishness is that the supposed second in command of the Government took an innocent well used phrase personally and turned it into a personal agenda.

I hope for those in supermarkets that he never buys "fairy liquid" or goes to a Panto with a Fairy Godmother, as this could cause more indignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The bigger concern for the Healy Rae clan is the RTE program on county councillors. The whole clan is up to it's neck in corruptions in Kerry. It would be interesting if RTE had the balls to investigate them but I doubt it will happen, more likely to bring one of them onto the late late for a sob story about online bullies again.

It's about time Ireland introduced proper regulations of county councillors which stop the ripping off of tax payers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's Healy-Rae kriptonite, something which shows positioning themselves for their own ends, creaming it off the top whilst identifying as a common man who 'ates' his dinner in the middle of the day.

They're parasites. Too cute to join a party, I dislike Leo but he was on the nose saying they would have to make unpopular vote-costing decisions if they weren't independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A total storm in a tea cup that reflects a growing issue in society; people pretending to be offended to gain an advantage over someone else. Obviously Healy Rae wasn't being homophobic, Varadkar knows that.

I wouldn't have been a great admirer of Varadkar, but up until now I did feel he deserved credit for not ever looking for sympathy or playing the victim. He's lost that credit now due to this acting at being offended.

They will be sweating over this, if only some of the media would actually investigate the carry on. Kerry Co CO was marked years ago as the most corrupt or something like that. All run by the Healy Rae, As you said if it came out they are robbing of the people they are supposed to be fighting for it would be the end. I doubt anyone will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Jaysus, you are very bitter when it comes to the Healy Raes.

Yes robbing money off tax payer is grand sure 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're a great bunch of fella's altogether. "Greaseballs" and "fairies" but we use them as "innocent phrases"... You're fooling nobody 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And the people in Dublin elected Eamon Ryan, Brid Smith and Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Ah well that’s all right so. Whataboutery excuses everything

I think they hold a role in the state....i think this whole controversy about fairies is aload of ****

Is there any other parliment in europe has such a shower of clowns as ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well none that seem to be as petty or as unprofessional as ours.

I think so too....this "controversy" in particular is a farce....if anyone carried on that way,making scene/noise over nothing, where i work ...they'd be on thin ice & its far from a political correct centre i work

If they carried on publically/socially that way,they would be avoided....we as a country deserve so much better than that farce,which went down this week

• Advertisement

Have you seen the carry on up the North? 3 years that was shut down over a few pellet stoves.

I have and i simply dont see the relevence here?

and at worst case,its better than that embarassing shít show that went down this week.....could you imagine any other country having to put up with this carryon

Ive seen enough tik tok videos to be utterly mortified by it anyway.....stormont for their clear hatred of each other,dont carry on like a bunch of chimps shouting at each other either

Well you are complaining about the Dail yet you want to ignore the Northern Assembly which shut itself down for 3 years, abandoning the people of Northern Ireland, to bicker over some pellets. That's way more embarrassing that a storm in a tea cup that an internet mob have tried to make a big deal out of it

Il let you into a secret,i dont vote into stormont,nor do i particularly care for its existance either way

I just think we deserve better than this rubbish what went down this week....its same utter depressing pointless shít week in,week out,and nothing changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

I thought Varadkar's reply was very good.

But he totally ruined it with the faux outrage about airy fairies. That looked like a mean, cynical play to make MHR look homophobic. It was fairly pathetic.

He was after scoring great points pointing out MHR didn't want to go into government etc. Undid it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Top Healy Rae style whataboutery there, and no Im from Dublin.

But it's not. This was a small tiff and a certain group of supporters jumped on it to deflect away from all the issues they have recently with Russia etc.

Nobody else cared about it. Look at on boards who is posting about it. Look on twitter who is. When you see them paying for Paddy Cosgrove to start tweeting about it you know what this is all about.

Nobody give a crap about MHR and Leo because as I said at the time both of them probably went into the bar afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Healy Rae played him like a fiddle and Leo fell straight into his trap.

Don't for a moment think Healy Rae's comments were off the cuff, spontaneous, in the heat of the argument.

They were pre-prepared and ready to use as soon as soon as he could goad Leo into "looking down at me"

"You're no man" and " away wit you to the fairies" were well chosen to rile Leo and he fell for it .

Followed by the faux confusion and surprise at Leo's response ,

Healy Rae reflected on his words all right; "job done" I'd say.

Pathetic game of oneupmanship by both sides instead of getting on with the job at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Mate its the same/similar sh1t week in week out.....utterly embarassing the way the dail carrys on...no other parliment in europe carrys on like this

No other workplace in the state would this stupid,cynical,childish carryon be allowed,the whole lot of em want fcuked out tbh,

they've let the discourse in the dail decend below level of a schoolyard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Totally agree.

I'm a Dub & I've heard & used the term "airy-fairy" all my life. I have never heard or read it as "go on away with the airy-fairies and see where that gets you". I'll wager Michael Healy Ray has never used in such a way before either. The problem is most people see the Healy Rays as ignorant dinosaurs. They are not. They are clever men well capable of turning a phrase to mean something different

It's a discussion for another thread, but this over reaction to anything in the Dail started after a certain party done well in an election. Normally if something like this happened, the two would meet after, shake hands and move on. Now we have a certain mob firing this all around the web

Like Paddy Cosgrove has a WW following because of his events and people are seeing him sharing this sh**te and then trawling the web to find when the word was used before. It is a total embarrassment for the whole of Ireland with this carry on, all driven by the supporters of one political party

Then we have people online laughing at trump supporters? f**k me I would take Trump supporters anyday over Paddy Cosgrove and the mindless online mob

Paddy cosgrove and trump supporters has sum total of zero to do with,the state of discourse in the dail (wtf like?)

Week in,week out.....its same utter childish cynical nonsense,always over nothing,i think we as a country deserve better representation.....fcuk the whole lot out and start again

How could i show any of my overseas friends,the utter state and carryon of our parliment?

Its embarassing as fcuk for anyone associating with it,why defend it is utterly beyond me....would you be allowed carryon like that,where yous work?

If you repeat the same thing is doesn't make it right. The Healy Rae represent a part of the population, like them or loathe them. The Dail is a workplace and like all workplace people have disagreements. That was ok in the past as they would shake and move on

This storm in a tea cup was a debate, Leo got in a dig, Healy Rae got in a dig, leo got one back. That was it. Yet look at the carry on since.

If you went to any other government the same is happening every day, difference is they don't have a shower of clowns plastering it all over the web in the blind hope that it is going to change voters minds.

If you talk to Leo or majority of the TD's, they will all be down for pints in Kerry in the healy rae pub this year. Laughing at the idiots online sharing this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

nearly every parliament in the World acts as such. clearly not a student of current affairs.

I saw one the other day where a Brazilian deputy drew a gun.

Other parliaments actual fist fights. in the UK its pure theatre.

also alot of straight men telling Varadkar how he should feel. sort of ignorant.

I do think HEaly Rae didn´t mean it but who am i to say that Leo shouldn´t be offended. if it was a politican getting offended on somebodys behalf, well thats different. Im not gay and will never be subject to homophobic abuse so what do i know about it.

• Advertisement

Except i do happen to follow some overseas parliments (what with mates still living there),and no other country is expected to put up with this childish cynical rubbish that passes for discourse here

No other country would have people openly cheering the political establishment taking digs at each other instead of getting on with the job....

what a jokeshop they have made of our parliment,cheered on by those who clearly dont know any better and think this is normal

The uk is a jokeshop of a parliment,roaring and shoutìng and laughing over each other,while sustaining a royalty,and simutanously have people in there country eat out of foodbanks.....not quiet the example to aim for imo

who said it was...you seemed to suggest ¨only in Ireland¨ which caused me to roll my eyes and start pushing back against the Irish exceptionalism being shown. all parliaments have theatrics, ott debates, scuffles, windbags, walkouts, shouting, contrarians etc etc.

i could find you countless examples if i was bothered.

You were using a jokeshop of a country to justify the farce which passes for conduct in the dail

Check youself,before you wreak,youself......are yous allowed carryon like they do in the dail,and if not,why is it acceptable they do??fcuk knows we pay em enough

no i was pointing out many many other parliaments also have this sort of carry on. its not just Ireland. it doesn´t make it right or to say we shouldn´t strive for better. but thats what happens in debating and systems like this. its the nature of parliaments and this type of governance. the only in ireland thing holds no water.

the english system is a joke to our eyes but its purposefully set up that way.

this isnt an oireachtas commitee all genteel. and the irish dail is tame by comparison to many parliaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NlqhEeK1iw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

This isn't the states, we speak a slightly different version of English here where some words have different meanings. The twisting of words to suit a political aim is a path that leads to an Orwellian place.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Perhaps you should go to the Gardai with your evidence so.

• Advertisement

They're serious allegations with no real evidence. If someone accused you I'd say you mightn't feel like lightening up.

I suggest you look at the 2019 report on county councils,

plus all the irregularities with the Healy Rae expenses

plus all the family on government payroll

plus the tax evasion with the pub

the list goes on

Post edited by brokenangel on

You may investigate half the country so.

Has anyone opened a thread on Michael Lowry, where corruption is proven beyond doubt?

Probably not. He doesn't have a strong accent, wear a cap. He slithers around in the background in nice suits, speaking sincerely and earnestly, and that makes him more acceptable.

Debate on the Healy Raes often divides between the urban and rural. Never forget the urbane are every bit as likely to be corrupt. Haughey, Burke, Lawlor and Maria Bailey come to mind.

The Healy Raes trigger a lot of people because they want to believe we're a sophisticated, educated people, and these cowboys are letting us down in front of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Kerry_2008

As you may guess from my username I am a Kerryman. I have never voted for the Healy Raes but, really think this Leo stuff has been blown out of all proportion. Leo had a good reply and then tried to twist the knife by making out it was a homophobic remark. As for the Healy Rae clan, local government contracts, expenses etc. My attitude has always been if the systems were not set up to be abused then it couldn't happen.

Nearly every TD has some family member on their payroll in some guise or other. Irish politics has long been seen as some sort of gravy train or a avenue to 'milk the system'. From brown envelopes at local level for rezoning, Lowry and the telecoms licence at national level. Lawlor, Haughey, McSharry, Bertie and all the messing with tendered contracts at local level.

Thread is about the Healy Rae, not "half the country"

one minute you said it was serious allegations, seems you back tracked on that fairly quickly

Seems you like to give the Healy Rae a slap on the back and tell them well done while they rip you off

• Advertisement

Ah lighten up. It's only a chat forum 😉

The Healy Raes are living rent free in your head.. another financial irregularity.

That turned out well for you didn’t it?🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

I think you're the one who things aren't turning out too well for. Can you only use one emoji? You're terribly wound up about nothing. Maybe best get some rest?

🤦‍♂️

how am I wound up? Because I posted a couple of facts about how the Healy Rae family is ripping people off 🤣🤣

Should I be worried if they are going to come after me for slander? Oh no they can’t because they are true 🤫 oops

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

You'd want to be careful. Lot of defamatory accusations there.

As for the Dail exchange I think the pressure must be getting to Varadkar of the criminal investigation. He took offense at being called out of touch with ordinary Irish people by misunderstanding a ordinary Irish term. Thus proving MHR's point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement