Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I personally think the gas option is the way to go - and if you can afford the 16 inch version, then all the better. No door to deal with on the gas only models is a bonus.

Any chance you'd share a pic of your big oven? I love my ooni, but I've always been tempted to build a "proper" oven for parties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Get the Karu 12 and gas attachment (this is my setup). Best of both worlds then - wood through most of the year, and stick it on gas for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

have a Koda 12 now but before had a Ooni 3 (wood pellets). I wouldnt go back to pellets or wood as gas is just so much more handier than tending to a fire and having to top up the wood. With pellets it would take about 3-4 top ups before it go to temperature which was fine at the beginning but grew frustrating when using it in winter and having to constantly go in and out to top up every 5 minutes. I also dont think a pizza that is wood fired for 90 seconds actually gets any wood flavour so see cooking with wood more an aesthetic thing than anything, I get the same results pizza wise by using gas on the Koda.

If I had an unlimited budget Id get a Koda 16. It gives a bit of extra space and has a L shaped burner so you'd only have to turn the pizza twice rather than four times. But they are a fair wedge and prices got increased recently. If thats out of budget then the Koda 12 is perfect if you dont want to go the wood route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I ordered the Ferrari G3 from Amazon.de - thanks Suckit for the tip about buying from Germany.

Amazon.de price delivered is €105. I'll just have to change the plug, or use an adaptor.

Amazon.co.uk price delivered is €153.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Many thanks lads for your generous inputs. Padraig Mor is the wood option on the Karu more difficult to control the temperature. Do you prefer using that option. I know that the Koda is probably the sensible option for my needs ,don't need the 16, but the boy in me loves to play with fire and I like rolling flame it appears to have and I have plenty of hardwood.

Ronniel, I used the oven plans from Forno Bravo to build oven and had great fun and satisfaction with the project but beware you need a good supply of timber to keep it fed. They will give off a bit of smoke at the start when being lit and I have got good at minimising that because in fairness I don't want to disturb neighbours whereas if you were in a large site you could light a large fire at the start and heat it up faster.

Ps I always use a poolish and bulk ferment in the fridge for dough. I have the large catering trays for dough balls but I used the Trofast trays from Ikea this time and store the trays in the fridge. Taking the seperate trays out of the fridge at different times was great for controlling the dough balls.

Does anyone have any discount codes for Ooni at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Having purchased the Koda 16, you still actually need to give it a few spins to void charring. I actually thought the same thing about needing to just give it 1 spin, but the L shape design just focuses on about 90’ of the pizza, whatever part is closest to the corner of the L will cook very quickly, To evenly cook you’d want to give it at least 4 spins doing a full 360’ and even then I give it a couple of extra turns to get it evenly cooked.

another tip for the koda… when you get close to stone temperature of 950f, turn the heat right down before launching the pizza and also try to keep some distance from the burner. All this should help reduce charring the crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I might go for that one too.

Regarding your previous model, would this be the same issue? - https://www.g3ferrari.net/en/-s2

Does anyone have any discount codes for Ooni at present?

If no one here has a referral code go over to the Ooni thread in Bargain Alerts and ask there as some posters there bought ovens around Xmas and probably still have one. I had one myself but gave it to a mate who was buying an Ooni, it gave him 10% off.

Thats interesting, Id always just presumed the L shape on the 16 would cook two quarters of the pizza simultaneously.

Was just looking at prices of the Koda 16 there, its recently gone up from 500 to 600 euro whereas the 12 is still at 350. There used to be only 100 euro in price difference between the two sizes but theyve stretched that out to 250 euro price difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Gave the fyra the first outing of the year this weekend 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Mmm yes that sure looks like the model that I had.

Mine went Bang when I opened the top, and I reckon the power cables to the top element shorted. That recall is related to the mains cable strain relief. I usually do a Big Clive-type autopsy on electrical stuff that dies, but I didn't have time and my old G3 went to the WEEE centre today.

TBH I have cooked hundreds of pizzas in my now-deceased G3. And I did the 'thermostat modification' so it was hitting over 400DegC regularly - the very high temperatures probably helped it die.

I looked over a lot of Amazon reviews. These Ferrari G3s last between about two and five years. they cook a great pizza but they ain't built to last.

With my new G3 I won't modify the thermostat. The recommended procedure is to get it fully up to temperature at 2 1/2 thermostat setting; then turn the dial up to 3; wait till the top element is glowing; then shoot in the pizza.

The unit I bought from Amazon.de, is, do a search for 'G3Ferrari G10006 Pizza Express Delizia Pizzamaker (1200 W), rot'. Feck it it's already €3 cheaper than when I bought it yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

What do you use for a lid on the trofast trays?

Lads thanks for all the comments and help, after lots of Youtube and other sites have gone with the Karu12 plus gas, guess I just like to play with fire although was very tempted by Rocobox. Heat up time put me off.

Ps I signed up for the Ooni newsletter and got a 10% discount code so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just saw this. I find the wood fine, but as someone who has used his barbeque four times in the last week, I'm kinda predisposed to cooking with fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Have been toying with the idea of getting the gas attachment for the Karu, I see it in stock there for 100 quid. It would be just for handiness really, if I wanted a pizza on a whim and bought dough in the supermarket or something. When you're preparing the dough for 2 days, lighting a fire at the end isn't a big deal!

Is there a noticeable taste difference with the gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Unfortunately I don't have the space for all these lovely pizza ovens people have but had a try at a Neapolitan style pizza using normal strong bread flour proved in fridge for 2 days, mutti pizza sauce, and cheap Dunnes stores mozzarella. Cooked on a tray in a regular fan oven. It was just an experiment really but I have to say it was damn tasty. Excuse the rank tea mug!

I find you can get better results by doing it in the frying pan and putting it under the grill. Pop the pizza dough on a hot (very lightly) oiled pan (ideally cast iron). Then add the toppings while it starts cooking. Once you have the toppings on you can stick it under the grill to cook the toppings and crust.

By no means perfect, but nicer than if you just cook in directly in the oven in my opinion. And quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks, I was planning on trying this alright. Would it not be better to be a hot dry floured pan rather than an oiled one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Before we got the Ooni i used the pan method and never oiled or floured the pan. I was always told a dry pan was what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fairly fundamental question here but it's been a while since I've used the oven - I heat the thing (koda 12) on the highest gas setting, I know around 430C in the middle of the stone is considered the right temperature for cooking pizza. My question is where do you folks set the gas gauge to once temperature is reached to maintain the 430C roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Stone won’t exceed 430C, it’ll bounce around this on the highest setting, so you can just leave it on high until your ready to start cooking.

just after I launch the pizza I turn the heat all the way down to the lowest settings.

The pizza takes a minute or two longer to cook, but I find using this method, I avoid burning the crust and the pizza cooks a little bit crispier.

There's other methods of course with with heat on high, but I find this one works best for me.

Post edited by kerplun k on

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Same as this. I preheat on full, cook on the lowest flame, then crank it back up between pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks chaps, that's the sort of idea I was looking for. I find I torch at least one side of the crust if I leave it high. Would be interested to hear any other methods people have?

The first time I did it I couldn't remember if I was supposed to oil the pan or not so I oiled the pan. It went well so I never bothered to check if I was right. I only use a drop of oil.

I'll have to try it without oil now 😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lots of oil is also good, if you like that sort of deep pan bordering on foccacia style base. Which, I now want... *gets planning*. An oiled tin full of dough thrown onto a pizza stone makes an excellent pizza base

I cook it by lowering the gas to almost its lowest setting upon launch and find its the best technique even if it does take almost 3 minutes to cook the pizza. It allows you more control than having the gas going at full blast and cooking the toppings, melting the cheese too quickly or burning the crust before the base of it has had much chance to cook out. It takes slightly longer but delivers a better result imo as the base has more time on the hot stone to get a bit of crisp about it.

You can also turn the gas back up to full for the final 20 seconds if you want to give the toppings a quick blast at the very end. If there is any part of the crust slightly under cooked you can lift that side of the pizza on the peel up into the flame momentarily before serving. However dont do this for more than 2 seconds as it will burn the crust black or even set fire to it beyond a couple of seconds, its just a quick motion into the flame and back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I saw these..

Pizza peel made of hard anodized aluminum, perforated, 12" or 14".

There doesn't seem to be any 16".

12" or 14" (30cm or 35cm) size head, and the length from 56cm to 117cm (foldable) everything included, from €7.68 to €12.02 for the most expensive one. Free shipping to Ireland from Germany or Italy with UPS. Nothing else to pay as it is delivered from within the EU. There are coupons there too, but I didn't look at what they are.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004102363424.html

Something similar on Amazon is €46 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097XL57JD

Woo hoo oven arrived a week after ordering it, time to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

Just wondering where everyone gets their flour/yeast? Last year I picked up Caputo classico and Caputo yeast in SuperValu but out of stock now. Wouldn't mind trying a few off other varieties if possible (Caputo nuvolo or pizzeria, 5 stagioni etc). Anyone know of somewhere that delivers or a shop in Galway?

Advertisement