Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Sometimes translations can be helpful. I was so embarrassed with Walesa's speeches back then, yet translated they didn't sound that bad. But we were always waiting in front of TV in anguish for his next gaffe in live speech.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because they're our nearest neighbour and have been praised by the Ukrainians and we're apparently not doing quite enough? Because they've been a clearing house and slush fund despository for dirty Russian money for decades with the support of their government and their banking system? Along with Cyprus and Switzerland they're among the worst in Europe for this and the Swiss of all people were quicker to act on dirty Russian money? That their current Tory government has got quite a bit of funding from the same dirty Russian money? That the government took their time sanctioning their well dug in local oligarchs? Yes the British people support and want to help Ukrainian refugees and want to sanction the Russian pirates among them. I was talking about the British government, not the British people(though enough of them in England voted for Brexit on the back of no more Eastern Europeans) and if the British people hadn't applied pressure I doubt that much pressure would have come from within .

Oh and 10,000 Ukrainian refugees are already in Ireland with our welcome mats out. With more to come.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Russia have now updated their official statistics

The Russian army says 1,351 soldiers killed in Ukraine — AFP

Up from around 530 when they last reported.

I’m sure they’re about as accurate as a Russian election count.

The Ukrainian media inform about the death of the Russian commander from the Southern Military District, Gen. Yakov Rezancew

• Advertisement

I thought it was Jesionka (where POTUS' plane just landed).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ukraine has pretty much zero chance of losing this fight. Russia lost the second the first jackboot crossed the border. In more ways than one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I do agree with you but I think NATO would have gotten away with an early intervention of some sort, they could have tried to sell it as an "inert buffer presence", a phrase I would have disseminated via the press. A phrase worked wonders in establishing the current ethos.

In hindsight I think the Russian red lines were initially bluster, but now?, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Mariupol; Aleppo, Mosul, Sarajevo, the list if cities destroyed like this in the last 30 years is very very long.

Hard to think of all the technological advances made in that time at the same time as listening to stunted minds like Putin's whine about JKRowling and Hollywood not recognising the Red Armies contribution to defeating Nazi Germany.

Post this conflict, anyone with a hint of thinking along the Trump, Putin, Erdoğan lines, off with their heads immediately, no second chances. One incorrectly avoided dictator is far better than 1000s of bodies in mass graves in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The funny thing is Ukraine inherited a better aircraft carrier and then sold it to China for a pretty Penny ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Providing weapons is orders of magnitude more useful than providing ambulances. The body armour is probably the most useful thing Irealnd has done in concrete terms. Looking for lashings of praise from Zelenskyy for hosting a tiny handful of refugees is unreasonable. his priority is to stop people from dying or becoming refugees in the first place.

Were I in his position I would be thinking exactly the same; Irealnd has been minimally helpful, whereas the UK, irrespective of its faults and guilt, has made a massive difference to Ukraine regarding their ability to defend their country and fight back. It shouldn't be lost on people what the implications of them currently training Ukrainians in Poland to operate the Star Sabre leading edge air defence system are. Once they are up to speed, Ukraine looks to get some very sharp air defence teeeth, something more usefull than 10,000 ambulances.

When I donated to Ukraine, it was for bullets, not bandages, because offensive weaponry has a huge multiplier way above it's cost in terms of preventing or eliminating the need for bandages. Every single anti tank round likely has the potential to prevent a large number of refugees from being created.

Ireland should have handed over offensive weaponry, in preference to ambulances and a few beds and hot cuppas. My opinion is that neutrality is a cute way of spelling moral cowardice. I am sure it's an unpopular opinion in Ireland, but I don't have a problem with people disliking me or my opinions.

This all reminds me I really should dig a bit deeper and send more bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Christy42

It still gives a pretty crazy high lower bound on the number of deaths. I mean we know it is lower than the true number and likely a lot lower than the true number but 1300 kills is still a big number.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We haven't really did much for them other than sending ten tons of MREs and some body armor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's clearly a fabricated number. Even the lowest estimates from the West have Russian fatalities at around 5 to 7000 losses.

I’m sure it was meant as “polite encouragement”. We’ll get a sense of exactly what he meant on 6 April when he addresses the Oireachtas, but given how rapidly things are moving, it’s hard to know where we will be by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Who did the bombing of Sarajevo? Mosul? Tripoli? Benghazi? etc etc

Warmongering is not unique to "dictators"

I dont think anyone really "wins" this conflict, but do you really see Ukraine coming out with their 2021 territory lines intact and no compromises?

Hollywood not recognising the Red Armies contribution to defeating Nazi Germany.

In fairness with Hollywood's representations of WW2 I'm surprised even the Germans get a look in. 😁 And putin is lobbing around more rocks in his glass house even here. Russian WW2 movies are even more one sided and even more local. I can't recall in any of them I've seen any reference to the Allies or the massive help Russia got from them. Now Russia has produced some fantastic film makers and did from early on(on WW2 "Come and see" is a bloody masterpiece), but they can out jingo even Hollywood. Many of their war flics make Rambo 3 look like a sober documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Even the visually confirmed vehicles destroyed, assuming they only had a single occupant would be higher than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I've watched Russian WW2 two movies recently "The Fortress" about the defence of the Brest-Litovsk citadel, and "The Final Stand" , both set in 1941 and showing Russians heroically defending against the fascist invaders. Quite well done actually, apart from the Braveheart-style hand-to-hand combat in the middle of the battlefield. And of course nobody else gets a mention. Why would they? To tell a Russian in that situation that the British are fighting too is no more use to him than telling him there's a man in the moon. (At least he'd have had a better chance of seeing the man in the moon, given enough vodka...) It's the same where American movies don't mention the Russians or Brits. They had their own stuff to worry about and were in completely different sectors. The close co-operation between troops of different nations as shown in say, A Bridge Too Far, was most unusual.

That U-571 movie however, completely takes the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I only found out recently that Comrade Scherbina moonlighted as a Russian sub commander in The Hunt for Red October...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Nope I can't see them coming out with their 2021 territory lines intact but they are looking like coming out with their 2013 territory lines. Combination of fighting, sanctions and bloody-mindedness.

The same useless idiots who are trying to prevent an LNG terminal being built on the Shannon estuary. You could hardly make it up.

Nope. Crimea is gone already. The Donbas likely gone too(IMHO I'd be thinking better off for the future), the sticking point will be the Crimean corridor. Compromises? No NATO and that wasn't realistically on the table anyway for a good while yet, even if putin used that as an excuse to invade. The EU is still on the table and because of putin a much shorter table with it. Any "de-nazifying" will be for the optics on both sides.

And yes IMHO there will be a winner and a clear one in this war and it won't be Russia.

Ukraine will get massive support in rebuilding and ultimately joining the EU and Europe. They'll never look East again. Their economy will grow and the rebuilding will benefit the EU and Ukrainians, politically, socially and economically. And we can thank putin for all of that. Thanks Vlad. You utter moron. 😂

Russia's fúcked. Even if all the sanctions were lifted tomorrow - and they won't be - their criminal facist aggression, lack of trustworthiness in business and the surprisingly lacklustre, even dire performance of their military has shown them up to be the crooked busted flush they are. Their population is falling. Their brain drain has increased with this war and they won't be back any time soon. They're pariahs across the board(well Mali likes them... 🤣) from now on and will be until there's a regime change. Hey, maybe they might be able to chow down on a Big Macski again this summer, but they've set themselves back by at least a decade. All they have left now are nukes and oil and gas(and the West is trying to pivot away from the latter as fast as possible).

Russia; a glorified petrol station whose millionarie owner waves about a double barrelled shotgun while his workers get a tenner a week and praise him for it wondering why there are so few cars at his pumps.

From what I gather that company isn’t doing very well anyway. The simplest thing to do would be let it go to the wall and just directly protect the jobs.

I don’t think it’s a business anyone would be rushing into - low margin, hugely energy intensive in a country with high energy costs etc.

• Advertisement

How does that work? I saw a claim that all their gold reserves are safely stored in Russia.

"The Central Bank of #Russia has assured that all gold from foreign exchange reserves is in the vaults of the Bank of Russia on the territory of the country."

Post edited by cnocbui on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement