Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Seems there’s a bunch of useful conspiracy theorist types who will jump onto whatever the next bandwagon is though.

They’re quick to object to offshore wind, onshore wind, solar, electrical wires, LNG terminals, offshore gas and in Germany they shut down the nuclear sector in favour of .. mostly gas.

I find it a little odd though that in Ireland and elsewhere a lot of it amazingly enough seems to result in an outcome of dependency on imported gas by pipeline, which inevitably had driven up Gasprom’s exports.

Coincidence? Clever use of communication / public affairs? There’s probably a few PhDs yet to be written on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I agree with you with respect to Ireland providing weapons. With the UK there is no reason why they cannot do both the humanitarian part and the military part. Sending weapons is a small cost to them and obviously it is greatly valued by Ukraine. Taking care of people fleeing the war means actually inconveniencing the local population though, more demand for housing, longer waiting lists for hospital or GP, more crowded classrooms. Sending the weapons will only cost each citizen a few pound.

I think ultimately what this has also done is give any Eastern Europeans who were romanticising their old days and hard man authoritarianism a rather brutally harsh reminder of what Russia is all about and why they joined the EU and NATO in the first place.

Russia had growing influence in Eastern Europe, I would be fairly certain that’s now completely erased.

He’s solidified the EU, strengthened NATO and completely isolated Russia, from Europe and the West at least, probably for at least a generation.

It would seem the outcome is the complete opposite of the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's probably only the count of officers ! ... once upon a time casualties for officers v enlisted were reported separately.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thought his comments on Ireland were odd to say the least. Don't know if it was a mistranslation, or he is confused and thinks we're still connected to the UK someway and have a larger arsenal than we actually do. The Are Corp had a flyover celebrating the centenary and there was less than 20 aircraft, no of which can fire a weapon. We have limited supply of anything Ukraine might need. Whereas France,UK Italy etc have much larger military resources. I'd bet they haven't scratched the surface of what they could supply. Maybe he should aim his vexation there.

We should be quite proud of what we have done as a state and a people and I hope his comments don't damage that goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

I had wondered the same kind of thing myself. Before the invasion kicked off, I had wondered if Zelenskyy could work something out with the U.S. whereby the U.S. would place forces within Ukraine's borders until Russia's forces over the border dispersed. Looking at it from Biden's perspective, though, even if it could have been done, it's a hell of a bluff to call, and U.S. intelligence was possibly saying that Russia weren't in a backing down kind of mood. Domestically, Biden would have gotten a hammering by opponents saying he was attempting to goad the Russians into WW3. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, in a lot of ways with this whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Yes, but all were the result of dictators or those wishing to emulate. Ghadaffi, Milosevic, Saddam, Al Asad. None of those blokes should have ever had the opportunity to hold public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,821 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

Yet you chose to make the comparison.

I acknowledge the 10,000 in Ireland and stand corrected. I responded to your stating that they were expected.

I've always made the distinction between government and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The anti-EU and anti-NATO guys in western Europe have taken a hammering as well. Remember how the Brexit guys in England claimed insistently that the European Union was totally unnecessary, hadn't brought peace to Europe at all and the continent would be much better as a bunch of individual sovereign states competing against each other.

Actually, I hope EU (even people here on the boards) will realise what authoritarianism means and how a big threat it is. Most Eastern Europeans are very well aware of it and always were.

The far Right extremist parties from different countries were starting having meetings lately (in December and in January) hoping for a new world order after Russian invasion (and they probably assumed - a win). Luckily it has gone in a completely different way.

How lucky we are, that Democrats won last US election and Zelenskyy become a president of Ukraine. We would be in a completly different world now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Here's an aircraft to keep an eye on. It's a Tu-214ON. To the casual observer it looks like the usual TU-214 airliner/cargo variant, but its not. From Wiki:

The Tu-214ON is an observation version of the Tu-204-200, equipped for Treaty on Open Skies missions and built by Kazan Aircraft Production AssociationVega Radio Engineering Corporation was contracted for the development of airborne surveillance system, ground-based complex and other mission equipment for the aircraft. It is equipped with one A-84ON panoramic camera, one AK-111 topographic camera and two perspective AK-112 digital aerial cameras to capture high-resolution aerial photography.[22

It will be interesting to see its operations over the next few days. Its currently leaving Crimea. It is also powered by Rolls Royce engines, which the Russians may swap out for their own bypass variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH his country is under attack from an aggressive foe who is deliberately attacking and killing civilians I wouldn't blame him for those outbursts. As you say we don't have the military to give them any real help from the fighting side. We do have arms that they are using to good effect against the invaders and I believe we should pass those arms onto the Ukrainians who are in effect fighting for Europe here.

Our main job in Ireland is to provide a safe haven for the families of those who are fighting and I am proud to say we are stepping up to the mark on this. Personally we've offered a room in our home so I'm fully prepared to back my words up with actions.

I would say most people would understand the circumstances these comments were made in and also that the media have probably hyped them up a bit to sell papers or get clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Russia will be isolated from the west for the next few decades for sure, but Ukraine too will be utterly ruined. Their economy was largely based on low-value stuff like agriculture exports (wheat) and minerals, and most of their factories are now bombed to crap.

So many of their women and children have fled which will leave them with an even worse demographic crisis than they had pre-war. And this all gets worse as the war is prolonged and more and more people flee.

As for territory, Russia wont hold on to anything west of Dnieper but Ukraine wont be able to retake much of the land already taken either Melitopol, Mariupol, Berdyansk, half of Kherson will stay under Russian control unless the Russians voluntarily pull out in exchange for some Ukrainian compromises (neutrality/non-NATO etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

He's only saying that because it's 14 degrees today in Latvia 🙂

https://www.accuweather.com/en/lv/riga/225780/weather-forecast/225780

Wait until tomorrow when it's back down to 6 degrees for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ultimately we as a country should provide humanitarian support because it is the right and moral thing to do. Not for thanks or gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The EU and US can help build Ukraine. Whereas I think with Russia it is in our interests to make sure they would find it very difficult to do something like this again. Before anyone says anything I don't mean like Germany after WW1, not punishing reparations, occupying the Saarland, disassembling and carting off factories etc. No, simply discourage/prevent FDI from western countries, make it difficult for them to get certain advanced tech, encourage a brain drain by granting visas to younger highly educated people, particularly women. This will speed up their demographic problem. Russia/USSR was pretty good with heavy industry, but this war shows that producing large amounts of steel to assemble tanks is very 20C. Russia will struggle in the new era of smart weapons and I really don't see that changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I wouldn't expect them to end up with Crimea even after the war but their forces will be faced with a predicament if they somehow manage to cross the Dnieper at Kherson and push back that far. I really hope they somehow push as far as Crimea at least but maybe not into it. They need to get across the river and cut that land bridge to weaken the Russian's negotiating hand. That's why Mariupol holding out as long as it has has really helped the overall effort.

Crimea hasn't seen as much bloodshed and so opinions in that area have been slowly getting the old Ruskie propaganda on 11 since 2014. An officially recognised referendum for that area should be part of the negotiations. I think it might still align with Russia. The eastern regions might be slightly regretting aligning with Russia though but sure let them have a referendum too. If that's their want then Ukraine is better off rid of such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I’d say a lot of East Europeans are as perplexed by our aversion to NATO as they are perplexed by britains aversion to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If it's politically unpalatable to give weapons to Ukraine, let's just donate to Britain to cover whatever they're sending over to Ukraine. Alternatively, let's just sell them to some other intermediary and whoopsiedoodles if they just somehow managed to end up on some truck going over the Polish/Ukraine border.

It's not like any of this even matters to Russia. They made that clear when they staged their naval "exercises" off our coast and stuck us on the list of "unfriendly" countries. They're not complete idiots, they know our neutrality is a sham with no legal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another senior officer dead this time around the hands of his own men 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Wow, amazing if true. If it is will this spark a domino affect, will we see mutiny's? If so then a coup is surly just around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russias objectives in Ukraine has officially changed,no more denazification or demilitarization and regime change and liberation of the whole of Ukraine ,now it's only the liberation of the Donbas region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of higher ups are being killed. A lot. The theory from me was that they were getting whacked by the FSB for not following instructions. Maybe they are getting killed by "friendly fire".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement