Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But who will look after you when you're old?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I mean nature dictates that I defecate where I stand but I don't do that for obvious reasons. Having children simply because "nature" is foolish IMO.

I don't see why climate change and the economy are daft reasons to eschew childrearing. Climate change is simply scientific fact and humans have wrought appalling damage on this planet and the other organisms that live on it. Economics should be self-explanatory. I cannot afford children. Surely not having them is the obvious thing to do. Would you be happy to give me money to have children?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm staying childfree (and it has ruined more than one relationship... Irish women in my experience are all desperate for children), and every guy I've talked to has said something along the lines of "I love MY kids, but don't have any!".

But yes, who looks after me when I'm old is a question. I'm going through that with my parents. My dad is visibly getting older, and he is the main caregiver for my mum who has early - mid stage Parkinsons. He is adamant I don't have to do anything to help him when he needs it because it would interrupt my life. My mum, on the other hand, is adamant she will not go into a nursing home anytime and that I am expected to look after her as she did to her parents. I have no siblings, and live with them, so it is on me.

There is every iteration of situation out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So true, so many have children irresponsibly without ever a hope of being able to afford to look after them. They don't just have one either. And then into the social welfare to get sorted, you couldn't make it up. You really couldn't make it up.

Also agree on the damage we're doing, I wouldn't like to be born now, the world'll bve in some mess in 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Deeec

People who dont want to have kids simply dont like kids if they be truly honest with themselves.

There is no reason to use boring excuses like climate change to try to justify their decision - just be honest and say you hate kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is a baseless generalisation. Plenty of people are deeply concerned about climate change so it logically follows that they're willing to make this choice on that basis.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Whether he wants your help or not, he may end up needing it and the likelihood is that you will give it to him i guess, also if you are living with them there must be some quid pro quo unless you are doing it for their benefit rather than your own.

Having someone to look after you when you are old is no reason to have kids, but the reality is the only people who really give a toss about you are your closest family so having a bigger family helps in that regard. Personally i have kids and i am glad i do, but i can understand fully who people would choose not to and i respect anyones decision in that regard as their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is only your opinion. You don't know every parent, you are not one yourself, but you presume to know what they are all thinking, wanting, needing, hoping for... it is an amazing gift you have tbh.

This viewpoint reminds me of Robert Smiths (The Cure) view on having children. One can moralise a cup of tea if they so choose, but it says more about them. All a bit pseudo-intellectual if you ask me.

This is ridiculous!

I don't hate kids, in fact I would kill for my nieces and nephews, but I really don't want any of my own. It's nothing to do with hating kids, it's to do with not wanting to have any. Very simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gosh, thanks for pointing that out! I've devoted my whole career to helping children through mental health difficulties, trauma, abuse, abandonment, chronic health issues, learning difficulties and a whole host of other things. Somehow I never realised that actually though, I just hate children!

What an eye opener. I'll go change my whole career now because someone on the internet knows me better than I know myself.

Oh look, it's another one along to tell the Childfree how they REALLY feel about children 🙄

You are looking pretty silly right now.

You feel the need to have children, grand, off with ya. You have your reasons, cool, don't care.

Why does it bother you so much what other people do in regards to being Childfree.

• Advertisement

So nobody should have children because of climate change.

Anybody can have children if they wish.

If they wish not to because of their worry about climate change, that is their choice also.

I have more respect for people who say they are not having kids because they dont like kids.

What I dont have respect for is the bores who quote climate change as the reason they are not having children - but they wont sacrifice their big car or their 4 trips abroad per year because of climate change.

It doesn't bother me at all that people want to remain childfree - each to their own. What does bother me is childfree people saying that people who have kids are selfish and dont think of the child or that people only have children because they want to be cared for in their old age - both these points are not true at all.

Perhaps you miss the part where the whole thread was started because that is a regular question that child free people are asked?

For someone who is not bothered by others being child free, you have a lot if things that actually do bother you about it!

Nobody should disingenuously misrepresent other people's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No wanting to have kids because of uncertainty of the future (Ie climate change) is a completely legitimate reason.

One person giving up having a big car and four trips abroad is going to make zero impact on climate change.

You can't just give up the above then go 'that's climate change sorted, now I can have kids!'. Fairly ridiculous statement to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Was anyone here who has kids ever been asked this question (who will look after you) before they had kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Has anyone with siblings who have parents who needed looking after. Had the experience that all children look after their parents. Or did they have the experience that some or all of the children had little or no involvement of the care of their parents.

Master of the Universe

What a stupid post.

So apparently if you want to view your childfree life as helping the climate, you should actually just kill yourself to go on step further to show how really committed you are.

I could apply that stupid logic to absolutely anything people to do try to save the environment.

Do you recycle? Why bother, just kill yourself.

Are you considering changing over to electric car? I have a better more environmentally friendly option! Get in a bath, have someone throw a toaster in, the ice caps will soon stop melting.

Again, what an utterly stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Plus you can be sure that said poster won't be convinced there are enough people. The right people aren't having enough children for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I never wanted kids (I don't hate them, just didn't want them for other reasons) but ended up with two, from different relationships.

It turns out I wasn't a great father, I admit it too, I'm far better as a father, now they're much older.

I know for a fact they'll not look after me when I'm older, and I'm fine with that, I would hate to be a burden on anyone.

I found this discussion odd as I've NEVER understood people who really wanted kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Children are a matter of choice for far to long women, who are very bad mothers had children and, who suffered?, the children. In todays society a woman can choose not to have children because she doesnt want them. This woman has had the brains to think this out and instead of jsut having them and hating them she has opted out.

Well done her i say as not every woman is maternal just like not every man is a man according to our new understanding of the world.. The whole world has changed and i would rather if very maternal women had the babies and loved them, and non maternal women got on with their careers. There would be less children in care & foster if this happened, also less unloved little gurriers robbing & thieving and being a nuisance to society & the garda. I say bravo to women to opt out for these good reasons, and thank you to the real mothers who love their children and bring up good citizens for the future.

Society is fine then as the world's at a state of overpopulation and it's not declining. And I guess then you agree you were spouting sh1te about killing oneself to save the environment, when all you're interested in is 'balance.'

Can you define balance? Resource balance? Equality/Status? Because it's a vague term.

Oh, you again. So it's o.k. now for women to not have children? Who is the woman you're addressing in your post? Yourself? Have you had that abortion yet because you stated you can't comment on abortion if you're not a woman. Do you allow comments about having children to men? They're involved yinno.

I made a valid comment as a real biological human woman. I have not had an abortion very callous of you to ask. I had a step child who sadly was murdered by her partner in a domestic abuse situation. I am a woman who thinks all women need support in each decision they make regarding having children, aborting children or not doing either. These are womens issues.

But, you DID say that only those that had had abortions could comment on them. So, is it o.k. for men to comment on this and, in fact, any other questions regarding having children or not? Your comment might've been valid to you, but it didn't parse too well:

Children in Ireland now are a matter of choice. Not so prior to the repeal of the Eigth. And, is 'this woman' you? So you're child free? Or, who is it you're saying 'well done' to? And I think, 'every man is not a father' is what you wanted to say, not trolling in the gender fluidity question. Also, 'non maternal' women. Is there a scale? Can you be somewhat maternal, full-on mary2021 class maternal, not interested in having a child at all.... And is that relevant to this thread?

But, you can clarify this easily. Do you believe you should have children to take care of you when you're old? That's actually what this thread is about and what most of the discussion is about. You've just sort-of warped in here to share your philosophy in general, but that's not the question at hand.

No i did all the traditional things expected of a woman & looking on i think women have way more freedom to choose these days, good for them. As to having kids to look after you in old age that is selfish. So my answer is no you should not breed potential carers. You know as well as i do what a maternal mother is, she puts her kids first before herself like our mothers did.

The goal, of course, is fewer people. You've yet to describe the balance; do you think removing all the childfree-by-choice people from the planet, that will balance things? How many do you think there are?

Master of the Universe

Who said my goal is to temper the population?

I don't want to have children as I find them incredibly annoying and my life is better without them. A positive effect of that is also off setting a bit of climate change impact as it means one less person on earth.

Why you are so intent on us all killing ourselves for having the above opinion is beyond stupid.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Advertisement