Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I've the Golden Wonders planted since the 30 April and now they've produced very large and full stalks and some are now beginning to show some nice pink flowers. There's no evidence of any blight and they look very healthy.

Can anyone advise when they can be lifted?
    Thanks.

Being a Main Crop potato they need some time in the soil after flowering. I always left them until Autumn when the stems have died off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I continued the battle against Bindweed and Sweetheart. (losing obviously)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Isambard wrote: »
    I continued the battle against Bindweed and Sweetheart. (losing obviously)

Hope they don't create a hybrid, you could find your garden filled with Overly-Attached Girlfriends. :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

New Home wrote: »
    Hope they don't create a hybrid, you could find your garden filled with Overly-Attached Girlfriends. :pac: :D

the Briars will get them

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

can i plant lupin seeds now ? can do indoors or outdoors just want them ready for next year

• Advertisement

You can sow them outdoors in Autumn or Winter, as a frost helps them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

After a much longer interruption than intended (work, weather, weeding ...) the re-landscaping is back on the agenda. Stretching the "today" part of this thread's title, but (today) I finished the first third of three new 12x2.5m terraces:

newest-terrace.jpg

If I ever get enough spare time (next winter, maybe? :pac: ) I'll put up a separate thread on it, but the giant pit visible in the photo is only half the hole: the terrace on the right is about 30m³ of topsoil covering another pit underneath. It's all part of a longterm experiment in making a passive, drought resistant vegetable garden. Next stage is to dig one trench in the centre section and another on the left.

As I try never to do something that has only one purpose, this hole will serve as the final resting place for the 20-year-old hay that needs to be be cleared out of my barn; and the clay-rich subsoil that you see heaped up on the left is being used to raise and resurface pathways elsewhere in the garden, such as this one (still needs to be compacted and levelled):

new-path.jpg

If my back and shoulder muscles are up to it tomorrow, I'll mess up my lovely flat terrace by planting a very late crop of potatoes there. Two varieties, already well-sprouted, so should still have enough time to give me a harvest in October and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

And before the boards techies push the Big Red Button and kill us all :D ... some time ago, in relation to my pond building, I was asked was I not worried about the water seeping out if it wasn't lined. Well, here's an illustration of why not:

two-level-water.jpg

The big puddle at the top/in the background has been sitting there for the best part of two, maybe three months. It's actually in the way of a wall from which I want to recover the stones, so I thought I'd drain it. But why waste an opportunity to do a bit of science: I dug a 1-metre deep pit in front of it and made sure there was no direct communication between the pit and the puddle. This picture was taken about a week later. Yes, there's some seepage, that's easy to spot in the pit, but you'd hardly notice it at the level of the puddle. And after last night's rain, the puddle is now bigger/deeper than it was yesterday.

It's been quite interesting to see just how impervious are the areas of ground where I've been driving and manoeuvring, with way more puddles in that part of the garden than ever before ... but the soil dug out of the terrace pit (in the post above) - where the ground hadn't been driven over - is really quite dry in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I've the Golden Wonders planted since the 30 April and now they've produced very large and full stalks and some are now beginning to show some nice pink flowers. There's no evidence of any blight and they look very healthy.

Can anyone advise when they can be lifted?

Thanks.

You could try a stalk the first week in September, and see what size they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭blackbox

Today I sat in my garden and tried to figure out how the new Boards is supposed to work.

Not much success so far. It was hard enough to find the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Figuring it out myself and I imagine the threads will be quiet fir the next couple of weeks. But I managed to figure out if you tap on your icon to the top right hand corner, a drop down menu appears. Tap on the star and it brings you to the threads you’re following.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭blackbox

I see a note that "my forums" hasn't transferred properly.

Things should get much better when this is resolved.

Took me so long to find this forum this morning that it's just not worth the bother. I'll let it lie for a while and hope it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've now tried about 12 times to delete this draft. No luck. So, I'll post this comment - maybe I'll be able to delete it later. If not, my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to your profile icon, click on drafts, hit x.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Just finished a bedded area. Is it too late to plant up with some perennials and shrubs? I wonder will they not have as much energy to get a good start?

I'd stick in shrubs and bulbs now and wait until spring for the perennials. I did a bed at this time last year and it's flying it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you might get perennials reduced in garden centres this time of year though. you'd be buying them for the price, not for any expectation of them doing anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

There’s no problem planting hardy perennials this time of year, with hopefully another month of warmth they’ll get established before winter and will be quicker to take off in the spring. Great time to split them too for free plants!

I've been really busy working on clearing a bit of an overgrown area at the back of the garden. When I moved here there was a great big rambling rose living happily atop the shed. I asked an uncle of mine to cut it back one year as but rather than a gentle pruning he cut it to the ground and in it's absence the ivy took over. The area has since become a habitat for all the birbs and I was reluctant to go too hard on it. Had someone come along with a hedge trimmers and he cleared a ton bag of ivy out of the space. The rose has managed to regain some footing up there so my hope is it will beat the ivy regrowth and reclaim it's rightful place as the king of the shed roof. (There's a Buddleja behind that again)

This was the shed in June

and this is the shed after the work was done

I was able to recover about eight feet of space from the undergrowth so I adjusted the border to accommodate it and planted Hydrangea Whitelight at the recess and filled in other spaces with ferns I had divided. I had some Foxglove seeds on order so I threw some down while the ground was cleared and the soil tilled a bit, I'm an apprentice flower grower so I don't know how that will work but I kept some seed over for spring planting too. I also reseeded the area that had been exposed with some grass seed so I'm looking forward to seeing how that space will develop over the next year or so.

Have a few projects to keep me going for the next while anyway, keeping me happy and busy while the weather is good for it.

• Advertisement

I have finally got my front drive/car park area resurfaced and a flower bed created along the pergola that was built earlier in the year. Today I finished planting it up with roses, clematis, honeysuckle and a few herbaceous plants in between. Hopefully next summer will see it mature a bit and some growth on the various climbers!

Meanwhile daughter was tackling a bit of hedgerow where a lonicera nitida bush had been growing unchecked for a long number of years, it was about 9 or 10 feet high in amongst some rather strangled hawthorns, but it had also grown out into the garden a similar distance and width, so it was a huge, absolutely solid mass of twigs and branches, with massive brambles growing through it. The core of it - most of it - was completely dead with just foliage on the outer surface. It is going to be completely cleared out and cut back to more or less ground level, then the lonicera can regrow in a more controlled manner. As it was being cleared we discovered that the space revealed a surprisingly good view of the garden and the surrounding countryside.

Hope we get to see some pictures once the pergola starts to fill in, sounds good though. I started a similar project last year although mine is built on a concrete patio but I have managed to start a jasmine vine successfully in a large planter which seems to really have taken off this year, it's providing good coverage on one side anyway and I've been adding a collection of potted plants around about it which has made a huge difference.

Today was just beautiful where I'm at. It was just great to be able to get outside and do a bit of tidying up and begin the process of winterizing the space. I planted some garlic today, I have no idea what I'm doing but I had some spare in the kitchen and a bed ready outside so will see how it turns out next year. I gave the herb garden a good pruning and planted up a few little pots with some of the offcuts thinking someone might like them for Christmas. I trimmed a few low hanging branches from over the lawn and mulched the other beds with the leftovers of that too. Tidied the greenhouse and gave the place a good sweep up.

I ordered a cylinder mower last week which is hopefully arriving tomorrow and with the weather playing ball I should be able to give the lawn its first cut since over-seeding a few weeks ago. Once that's done I suspect it will be a case of sleeping it out til spring. (Glad I managed to get my gym membership renewed to keep me going over the winter months!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Removed three raised beds and put down gravel in their place. Didn't order enough pebbles so sitting here waiting for a new half ton delivery today. We now have six raised beds and a new patio area to sit in. (not that I don't have enough areas to sit in at the moment). Removed an apple tree that was not producing and grassed this area. Old seed so I hope it grows.

Also moving around topsoil from the old raised beds to other parts of the garden.

We also did a big clean up of our flower beds. Cut down most of our sunflowers and hollyhocks and removed three ugly looking ferns that had self seeded. Removed a hydrangea and created more space in the flower bed.

About two hours spent most days which is enough for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

irritatingly, i managed to break my cheapo lidl/aldi extendable lopping saw cum loppers. to be fair, it didn't owe me anything. the head snapped off, the business end was attached to the pole by a thick piece of plastic rather than being welded on.

i need to take down a dying escallonia which has reached over 15 foot tall so it was very handy for lopping the branches off from a safe distance.

Planted another round of bulbs today. I picked up a couple of mixed bulbs (30x2) in Lidl last week, a white and a pink selection of tulips, daffodils and iris and put them in a raised bed on the patio. I had ordered a Thuja Smaragd (emerald green cedar) last week along with a Hakonechloa (Japanese forest grass) and Anemone Honorine Jobert (wowee) and planted the bulbs around them. I'll probably be relocating the grass and anemone in spring but for now they might just have a chance to get settled in the bed over winter. There's a few shady areas under trees and corners which would happily accommodate them better.

I had enough to fill another pot with a few leftover tulips so there should be a good display next Spring. I'm really happy out with the tree too, 13e for a 3ft arborvitae is a bit of a steal and it's the healthiest tree I've ever seen come direct from a nursery.

Today I thought I would just go and plant one shrub then get on with other things I needed to do elsewhere. Then I hit carpet. I thought we had finally got all the rubbish out of the (new to us) garden, but no, somehow we missed the large lump of carpet folded and crumpled and going apparently straight down. I rounded up help and we spent a good while on it but its showing no signs of coming up, so its been abandoned in favour of lunch. I'll have another go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just dropped some spud seeds into the ground this weekend and put down a few Rose shrubs. Not the first time I tried the Roses but I do love the smell at the corner of the garden when they all get going. 6 Rose shrubs and a lavender plant in the middle.

Dan.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Went to the garden centre for a look today, building a raised bed soon and wanted to get some ideas and inspiration as to what's going in it. Wasn't supposed to buy anything.

Came home with an apple tree. 🙄

It is completely illegal and immoral to go to a garden centre without buying anything, you had a narrow escape.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ha!

It's a Coronet (https://coronet.ie), so should only grow to about 1.5metres but will still produce fruit. Perfect for my suburban garden!

The site suggests feeding with a slow release fertilizer in march, I just planted it in a container (~55 litres) in John Innes #3, will this be sufficient?

Advertisement