Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's going the way of Brady unfortunately. He has ability, but he also has a persistent knee injury. I watched him forced to come off for Bristol City in tears last season after he got injured in his first game after coming back from a lay-off. It's a real shame, was only a few years ago Premier League teams were looking to sign him for decent money. He is still young enough to turn it around, but I really worry when I see players with the same persistent long-term injuries like he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Here's The Talented Ireland Team We Want To See Against Belgium | Balls.ie

These Journos don't have a clue really. Does anyone really want to see Doherty and Coleman shoe horned into the same team as wing backs? It just doesn't work. We know what Seamie will give us is the first thing that I would say and I don't see any point in starting him in the friendlies at this stage in his career. Stevens hasn't done a lot wrong for us at LWB and is solid so I'm not sure why we would want to remove a natural left sided player from that position.

Don't get me started on the Kelleher segment. All about himself and Bazunus long term fight for the no1 jersey. Nothing about our 22 yo goalie who has PL experience and is playing at the highest level of the 3 at the moment. I know the current trend is for wanting your keeper to be like Maradonna with the ball at his feet but even Kenny has said that Travers has improved a lot in this regard.

Stephen Kenny: Mark Travers has definitely improved with his feet | Bournemouth Echo

Also the bit on Hendricks is maddening. Just read it about his form in the last few games. He has been poor since joining QPR. It's that simple. Again another lad who we know at this stage. I'd much rather Molumby or Browne in there from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd use the term journalism very loosely when it comes to the likes of Joe or Balls.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

If anyone is stuck for two tickets for this let me know. €80 for 2 in South Block. Put it on adverts and it removed the ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The biggest issue here is you see Enda stevens as the first choice LWB. Stevens is at best second choice. Manning being second choice would be my expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh I'd have Manning start the games too. Correct. I think we should have a natural left sided player at LWB with Doherty at RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Can't agree about Travers. Kelleher is an outstanding goalie getting very little playing time at Liverpool so we should give him time at international level. Bazanu and himself are a cut above Travers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but if Belgium are fielding a weakened team it's a great opportunity to strengthen the World Ranking since they are number 1 at the moment and you get the same ranking points for a win regardless of how seriously the opposition treats a friendly match.

I estimate that a win for Ireland would move them from 1444 -> 1452 points. That wouldn't move them up many places (possibly only 1 to #48) but it would give them a decent boost in raw points for a friendly match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably get more of game off their B team as lads will have a point to prove to try force their way into the managers plans for the WC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did I read that right? Where someone cannot get a game for their club they should get a game at international level??🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bit mad alright... Kelleher should definitely be starting under the circumstances, but that's in spite of his playing time rather than because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Italy u21s only drew with Macedonia which leaves the group wide open if we can beat Sweden. Not confident that we will however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

.............................Kelleher

............Coleman - Duffy - Egan

Doherty - Hendrick - Cullen - McClean

...........Ogbene - Robinson - Knight

Think this will be the team that lines up tonight. It's the team that finished out the Luxembourg game, bar Kelleher obviously, and think he'll stick with that for the Belgium game. Only change I could see could be Browne for Knight.

The 17s are 1-0 with a goal from Franco Umeh, the keeper spilled a cross and he had a tap in. He also hit the post 2 mins earlier after the keeper took a heavy touch and was closed down. Zefi just won a pen a few mins ago but their keeper saved O'Mahonys effort.

We're all over them, would be a real gut punch if we failed to close this out.

1-1, Finland score from a corner. They look tidy in possession and seem fitter or less affected by the heat. Could be a factor in the second half.

2-1, Zefi and Umeh link up again with Umeh heading home a Zefi free kick into the box.

Zefi, Vata, Ferizaj, and O'Mahony are the ones often talked up but think Umeh could surprise a few when you're looking at who'll make it to senior level.

Umeh has looked good in both appearances this week and could have had a hattrick today, he's just been brought off I think. It's been a good game to watch, our pressing very effective in first half but once Finland play through us we don't look the most defensively solid. 2-1 with 20 mins to go, could go any way yet.

• Advertisement

3-2 to Finland now with 8mins left.

Ball a hot potato for too many of the Irish young lads. And as for the no. 14 who got the ball in space in the box facing the goal and proceeded to dribble to the edge of the box…hopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Too opportunistic finishes by Umeh alright, didnt offer a huge amount extra. Zefi absolutely has something about him. Excellent touch, drops the shoulder and beats people but has an excellent end product as seen today too.

Couldn't make the game, have a e25 ticket, will let go for E15.

Yea, Zefi in both games was the standout player and it wasn't even close between him and anyone else. His ability on the ball is unbelievable, so good I am struggling to think of another player as good as him at underage level in the last 10 years. The only thing that nags me a bit about him is his lack of pace. It's great he has enough trickery to get by players at this level, but he doesn't look the quickest.

Mark Sykes will be first Belfast born player to play for Ireland in 76 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coleman showed him where to go and he scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Tieliemens commits 3 fouls and prevents two quick free kicks in the 1st 8mins d as bd not a word from the ref. Coleman and Kelleher not great for the 1st goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Throw in a really poor Duffy pass into the mix too.

I thought the keeper would have gotten to it tbh. Didn't seem right on the corner and it was well telegraphed.

Maybe being harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor enough from Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Probably need to see Kelleher's positioning again, but thought he should have saved it.

...I'm probably being harsh as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My initial thoughts were great goal but kelleher definitely slightly out of position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very disappointing opening twenty minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

McClean having his usual outstanding game. Team is a yard of the pace, second to everything. Belgium stronger and faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A rather pointless match really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I thought this would be a bit closer with this Belgian team. Ireland chasing shadows out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What an absolutely pathetic performance by Ireland so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Went back and checked it, Kelleher is definitely out of position. Himself and Coleman may as well have pointed at the wide open space to shoot at

• Advertisement

Knight being the worse player on the pitch and that's saying alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Some rather average contributions by Knight there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We are totally outclassed. Belgium not breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Fairly abject performance so far against Belgium's B team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ogbene is the only player that's looked useful. Fitting he got the goal.

Get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Go on Ogbene

Clean awful corner

Anger rising

Great goal but the Anderlecht wonder kid was comically lazy in stopping it

Edit- or he’s Bruges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Excellent finish.