Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why KIA are the new Toyota.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol 🙈

So far off and so cold on many levels.

A bar what's that?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭French Toast

I thought Skoda were the new Toyota?

Reliable, boring, farmer's-friend type motors?

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ms

Boring Skoda. Will you go out of that. The Octavia is a great looking car one of the best looking in its class in fact. The same with the current superb in the right spec it looks great. Was looking at one on Saturday it had great alloys and looked really classy. I was thinking why would anyone by a boring Audi or VW or even a Volvo when they could have that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

far off ? cold ? , I don't anyone on boards has every agreed with anything you have come out with ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

The simple truth is that a Rio is reliable because there isn't that much in it to go wrong. Similar to a Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris. There are plenty of other examples from other brands.

Don't think you can single out Kia from Hyundai. Any arguments you would make around reliability in particular pretty much apply to them both.

To say that Kia doesn't make attractive cars is nonsense though. Look at the Xceed, the Proceed and Optima for example (the Stinger too obviously).

Apart from the Stinger, are any of these exhilarating cars to drive? No. However, people get a lot of pleasure from looking out their front window and admiring their car in the drive.

Kia generally don't make cars for the 'petrol head' market (for Europe at least). They have done their research and found that there is a big market for sporty looking cars that aren't performance cars or even much fun to drive! Sheep in wolves clothing if you like. Other manufacturers have gone the same way where at this point, a set of 16 inch wheels on a C segment car (Corolla, Golf, Focus) is starting to look unusual.

Kias are also not bullet proof as some might think (but have come on significantly since the Hyundai takeover). The marketing around the 7 year warranty has also been very successful. VW has managed to trade off the same notion for years - that VWs are very reliable and you will never have any trouble with them. A triumph of marketing over engineering.

If reliability was my main or only criteria when looking at a car, I wouldn't go further than the local Toyota dealership. I don't own or never have owned a Toyota but driven plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ye all should just go to the reliability index to see what cars and manufacturers are best in that department. Although the website is not as good as it used to be, as you cannot look up an individual model atm.

Typically the top scorers are medium and small japanese cars with a few hyundais thrown in. Best of the last 30 years are the mx5, getz, micra having scores of less than 10. Also the lancer. The mx5 is one of the most fantastic engines , I wonder was it put in any other cars?

They do for their brand ambassador from Ireland.

They do sound like very annoying faults. Particularly, having to go in three times to get the first problem resolved.

The stonic is an ideal sized vehicle for someone your father's age.

Of course these type of faults aren't unique to Kia, but everytime AMKC starts a thread like this, posters will feel the need to highlight them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm on my third Ceed estate in a row and each one has been a very reliable drive. They had a lot of spec for less money than the equivalent Hyundai as the dealers broke their back with discounts. The price has gone up now with the popularity, so they know their market pricing, but spec wise there is everything I need, with a lot of safety features.

Ms

And they are good looking too. Were you ever tempted by the new Pro Ceed SW at all?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

That's rubbish and you know it. What someone had to eat does not define how they think or look at things. Besides it's a former Audi designer who is head designer at Kia now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

@delly What version of the Ceed Estate do you currently have?

I have the facelifted PHEV.

@AMKC You do know we weren't being serious about the dogs?

Peter Schreyer has done a magnificent job at Kia.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was, but as it was going through the job, it had to be diesel for the VAT, the Proceed was petrol only.

It's a 202, so just before the PHEV came out. I got the nice 18" alloys though, they really make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Even Toyota out done themselves in the 90s and early 00s, that's why I own six of them

Haven't seen the 18' alloys on an SW but they look very well on the Xceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

I always found my 90's Toyota's had something go just as much as my BMW's etc it was just cheaper to fix.

I don't think there's much difference between cars these days reliability wise just the cost difference to fix things when they go wrong can vary quite significantly between car manufacturers.

• Advertisement

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

If they are so reliable, why have you needed three so far? 😂

More borrocks from the motors forum spoofer. At least the titles have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I gave up on Toyota years ago when my 2nd generation avensis had buckled discs on the wheels, the company refused to fix them because the warranty had just run out. I think it was 18 months at the time and the milage was about 12,000 on the clock. It turned out later to be a manufacturer fault.

What was the manufacturing fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sister in law has a192 kia stonic needed a clutch with 35k on it,test drove an x ceed brother thought it had a knocking in the engine.My experience with toyota has been great on my 2nd avensis 14 years of trouble free motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Advertisement