Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean it's not really Jenny and her 7 kids in Clondalkin, it's people who are working day in and day out and paying taxes getting fecked here.

Between rent or buying a house, bills increasing, creche costs if you have kids, hospital waiting lists (even if you have health insurance at this stage), lack of GPs, lack of school places, lack of public transport etc. There isn't enough resources for our existing population here with the taxes we pay (a lot of this is down to serious mismanagement by the government of course). Adding 200k extra people isn't just fecking the people who don't want to work in this country, it fecks everyone unless you're well off.

I also think it's naive to think these people will go home. Some will but this will drag on and Ukraine will need to be rebuilt, a lot of them will be better off on welfare here than they are going home and trying to rebuild things. This isn't some short term pain and we move on. This is going to hurt people here for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Up to the late ‘90s / early 00s. Likely no worse than it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absolutely. Our hospitals and nursing homes and health centres would fall apart without migrant workers. They contribute hugely and are not a burden

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This…

none of the GPs in the two practices near me take on new patients… quite rightly as oversubscribed, my practice had 4 doctors now 6 doctors, the other 3… you move here from Galway say, you haven’t a hope, impact to current patients you can wait 5-6 days for an appointment.

All those other huge expenses and quality of life blockades put up by society and influenced for the most part by overpopulation…through rapid and rampant immigration..

our population growth is expected to peak at 5.83 million but they were pre pandemic numbers in about 45 years time…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How will they be better off on welfare here when you’ve already argued that according to you at least, we don’t have the resources to support everyone? We do btw, it’s simply a fact that those resources are being managed irresponsibly by our own in favour of themselves.

Don’t make me pull out the CSO figures again, but there is a considerable difference between how people manage their own resources, and how Government manages the States resources. Government are not responsible for people wishing to have it all and incurring enormous personal debt.

Asylum seekers, refugees, immigrants, and Irish people on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder, are not responsible for the people in the middle classes aspirations of a higher standard of living for themselves.

It really would be naive to think anyone owes anyone else a dig out, people do it for their own personal reasons, generally for charitable purposes with no expectation of a return on their investment in other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm among those working class that's getting saddled left right and centre, but, we'll be alright comparatively. Can you not see how complaining about the price of diesel and creche fee for us versus losing everything you have, your home, your job family and essentially your life are not comparable? Should we just close the door of the Inn and say, sorry lads, we have our own problems here creche fee's are on the way up again. Stay in Poland or die in Ukraine, but we have our own problems.

We like to bask in the shyte about how friendly and welcoming the irish are. And the reality is, we are, thousands of units of accommodation has been offered up, and I as one of the saddled tax payers am willing to pay the price of the extra burden some may feel they will place on us, but fcuk me, that shrinks in comparison to the horrifying ordeal these people have had to live through. If we can't help these people, and are happy to let other nations, other taxpayers in less well off countries do it,I think its a pretty grim reflection on us

As much as I feel a definite amount of contempt for Justice for both the lack of deportations, the failure to reinforce our immigration laws, and also the failure to fine employers engaged in enabling illegal immigrants to live here... while all that.. there have been some deportations in the past. Some. Not close to the numbers known and identified, but some have been kicked out. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find them returning later though, and slipping into the cracks..

There's going to be plenty of bogus carryons going on. Ukraine is rife with scams of all sorts.. that's going to be transferred over here. Ireland is going to change drastically over the next few years...

Interesting times.

Last scan I had I had to wait one year and three months for…. My GP kicked up murder, I was eventually sent private with state paying to charter medical in Smithfield. They’d invoice the Mater about 590 I’m told, because the waiting lists due to demand in the Mater we’re so chronic..

so overpopulation and the drivers of that are quite responsible for Irish taxpayers potentially having their damn wellbeing and lives compromised because they can’t get the diagnostic scans they / we need in time..

scan was all good, but I had to get that info off my GP as opposed to being called for a consultation….

had to chase up my scan, and the results too… no consultation scheduled barring the yearly one and if they can’t be trusted to get me a scan they sure couldn’t be trusted to get me results… back to GP for them too.

middle class people don’t want a higher standard of living… they want a responsible and fair society… that those who pay in can access the services, their / our services and get priority as an Irish citizen and bang for their buck to boot.

Most 'middle class' people have private medical insurance

• Advertisement

I don’t mean to pry and I don’t need to know the details, but is that 590 EURO? Even in Sterling it seems cheap. I dunno, maybe missing a zero on the end? I guess I just expected if the point was that the public coffers are being gouged, €590 isn’t going to get anyone fired up in outrage 😳

Sorry, 590 was the scan price not the machine…. :)

Like most who come here

RTE news : 'I don't want to be a refugee, I want to work'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Still manually trawling?

Great to see that this lady is finding her feet. This still doesn’t address the concerns about a potential 200K population increase. Still advocating for no upper bound?

I really don't care if it's a grim reflection on us. We shouldn't be hurting ourselves as a country in order to help others we have no actual attachment too. If you can't look after your own, you shouldn't be splitting resources even more. Its not like other countries haven't closed doors too. Denmark had closed to refugees pretty much pre this Ukraine situation. They were like no, we've too much and can't accommodate more. We need to be doing that. UK and US aren't taking a huge amount either numbers wise in comparison to us. We're the fools getting hit harder due to our made up GDP figures.

I mean 200 a week along with other welfare and some form of accommodation Vs going back to a destroyed country. I can easily see why they'd stay even if life here is crap. I also really disagree we have the resources to support everyone (even if it was managed perfectly).

Also if you're saying asylum seekers, refugees, people on lowest rungs of socioeconomic classes have no responsibility to middle class, then why do middle class have responsibility for them. Should just be told go on the own like we are at that point and not given very generous welfare supports.

We can be practical and realistic about our commitments to taking in refugees. Anyway, it would be more cost effective, and likely far more efficient, to provide funding to all the Eastern European countries like Poland, Estonia, etc to take in these refugees, and return them when the war is over. These countries have plenty of land to house refugees (and a throwback to building those huge Soviet era apartment blocks), and their economies/standards of living which would allow investment to go further in helping the refugees, all the while helping their own countries to expand economically.

Bringing refugees to Ireland makes little practical sense, because everything costs more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

'Bringing refugees to Ireland makes little practical sense, because everything costs more here.'

Unless of course, it's not all really about helping refugees....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If the whole word took that attitude then we'd basically see mass genocide and starvation in many places on Earth.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know that’s what you meant, and it still makes no sense whatsoever as they wouldn’t be here were their homes not being destroyed. They’re making the best of what is for them a bad situation. While they’re here, they will face accusations that they’re only here to take advantage of our generous welfare, which for a single person you’re right, I think it’s about €200 a week, but they’re also bringing their children, and they are as you point out, entitled to apply for the same supports as anyone else in their position who is Irish.

The idea is that you’re blaming people who are already in dire circumstances, for making your life harder in that you could afford a decent standard of living if they were denied any standard of living. Some countries work like that, Ireland doesn’t, and it never has, and lucky for you and yours it never will, whatever about the idea that people who are not as fortunate as you have any responsibility to see that you have a standard of living equitable to the people who are in a social class above you again, to their own detriment.

How do you possibly see that working, other than widening a wealth gap which has only been getting wider in the last few decades? What you’re insisting should happen, has been happening for decades, and that’s why you’re in the position you’re in, whereas if we had truly gone all-in on your idea, you’d be among the people who you’re now claiming are responsible for your not having a better standard of living.

Ireland has more than enough resources to cater for itself with many of the middle class also receiving some form of welfare support from the State, multiples of what they will ever contribute to the State in financial terms over the course of their lifetimes. It’s a feature of a functional economy, not a bug, as opposed to the unintended consequences of how you’re suggesting the State should expend more of it’s resources enabling you to have a better standard of living, at the expense of everyone in Irish society, having a better standard of living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Can you enlighten us as to this hidden agenda and the real reason they are being brought here? You seem to have figured it all out so I'd love to hear an explanation of what's really going on. Cheers

Do you know.., ‘most middle class people’ ? Or is their a resource where I can check that out ? Thanks.

interesting to know you believe those without said insurance should not be factored in to receive the help they need and contribute to pay for :) but I’m not surprised…

Well you were the one that brought up middle class people, so you tell us?

Personally I would be an advocate for universal health care. I don't believe in a two tier system.

The government however, do not see fit to pay people enough to take them away from private medical care, as such, the situation is as is. So we do have a two tier system. So I, not middle class, just working class, pay for private medical insurance. If I and other working class pay for it, I'll be pretty sure that middle class people in this country pay private medical insurance. In fact, with our system the way that it is, I can't believe that anyone who is quite comfortably well off, does not pay for private medical insurance!

you are the one that said…

“Most 'middle class' people have private medical insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

There is really little point arguing with any of the left leaning commentators here whether it's on DPDs or having a cap on the numbers of Ukrainians coming here as we just don't have the infrastructure or services to accommodate so many in such a short piece of time.

To accept your argument, they'd be fearful of God forbid, being seen as racist. They just wouldn't be able to look at themselves in the mirror. It's just not in their DNA

I don’t think it has anything to do with being left or right or whatever else. It’s just that your claims don’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

That’s why I don’t accept your argument, not because I’m afraid of being seen as racist, or because I’m afraid of your characterisation of anyone who doesn’t share your opinions as a lefty. It’s just because, well, your claims are nonsense.

We actually do have the infrastructure, and we have the services, as has been admirably demonstrated already, indeed the fact that we were able to do what we’ve done is testament to the fact of what it is possible to achieve when people really want to achieve something.

Actual real evidence that flies in the face of your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

First post - yes our healthcare system was more responsive back then

Second post - You love to see it? You'll be on the next "Climate change" thread bemoaning the increased C02 output. You leftie folk are so so full of contradictions.

Yeah our healthcare system did work well in the 50s.

Of course there wasn't half the treatments that are available now, life expectancy was much shorter, people died from illnesses that we can treat today, thankfully. Now there is a huge amount of waste in our healthcare system, mismanagement and the likes, but that's hardly the fault of immigrants to our country, most of who in the healthcare system work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why not apply for work visa prior to leaving country of origin then ?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, sure they probably had loads of time to apply for positions........🙄

Advertisement