Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the USA play a significantly negative role in events leading to Ukraine invasion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think thats quite clear.

Continued NATO expansion eastwards against all assurances was beginning to solidify on the Ukraine also. A direct border country to Russia. Previously stated numerous times as being a red line for Russia.

How a big NATO manoeuvre in the Ukraine could be viewed as anything but that and a very deliberate one too is beyond me. NATO knew exactly what they were doing here.

If you're about tomake a claim about Ukraine being a sovereign country who should be allowed to make membership decisions for themselves.. well let me ask you how that worked out for Cuba and other South and Central American countries? You can't allow one set of rules for America and another one for everybody else.

Well you can of course if you accept the 'big stick' policy of the US being a valid position but then we're talking out and out hypocrisy.

Where in that speech did he demand nuclear weapons? You've made a pretty big claim and there's no proof of it in the speech. No nation is gonna support new nations with nuclear weapons, it's pretty much why certain nations end up classified as rogue states.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure how you focus all of this on the US and completely ignore what's going on in Europe or the history of Europe. US doesn't need Europe to survive. Europe needs the US to survive. Two world wars proved that beyond doubt. How do you ignore two world wars and 100 yrs of history.

NATO strength declined massively in that time. British Army of the Rhine was disbanded, US reduced its strength. Older Nato countries reduced their military spending.

Europe had been here before after WWI and the folly of not maintaining your military. It's not like Russia became a democracy or dearmed itself.

Russia has more economic power in Europe than it's ever done. But it still invaded other countries. So your premise that this would pacify Russia is null and void.

Scorpion and the Fox fable has never been so apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Also, seems to be forgetting the last American presidents views and comments on NATO...

He didnt directly - so yes I overstated that - but he said that the Budapest Memorandum didnt work for the Ukraine. There could be many ways to interpret that but what I'm hearing is that the Ukraine would feel safer if they still had nuclear weapons.

• Advertisement

Considering Russia is threatening the world with nuclear war at the moment ironic.

And he emphasised the need for greater sanctions etc. He did not imply they were considering getting nuclear weapons and he has the intelligence to know that pursuing such a path would negatively impact Ukraine. So basically your two points do not amount to reasons for Russia to invade Ukraine. And the claim that Ukraine want nuclear weapons was an outright lie.

Well you would call it an outright lie but if someone questions the value of the Budapest Memorandum at the core of which was nuclear disarmament its the first thing that comes to mind IMO.

Yes when I said 'they demanded' my reflexes went into overdrive and I take that back. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Asking for a third time

Putin is the decision maker in Russia, so which US president made him take the unilateral decision to launch the invasion of Ukraine and how?

"If you're about to make a claim about Ukraine being a sovereign country who should be allowed to make membership decisions for themselves"

Russia and Ukraine are sovereign countries which can make their own decisions, why do you think one is different from the other?

The other central part of it is the guarantee of the sovereignty of Ukraine. So ya, I would say him saying the agreement is null and void has more to do with Russia violating it for the last 8 years.

1. Respect Belarusian, Kazakh and Ukrainian independence and sovereignty in the existing borders.[23]

2. Refrain from the threat or the use of force against Belarus, Kazakhstan or Ukraine.

He knows as well as about any other nation that it would pretty much destroy their position in the world to develop nuclear weapons so saying that was the point of it is a pretty big misinterpretation. On top of that, he made the speech at the point where Russia were showing signs of invading....

So the speech had more to do with the fact that Russia was continuously violating the agreement. Weirdly you don't seem to think that's a big violation at all. In fact, you've previously said Ukraine should surrender.

• Advertisement

And lets not forget he was also claiming that all Russian attacks on civilian areas were with faked/done by the Ukrainians or justified cause the Ukrainians were hiding troops there.

Yep it's this weird line that they're pushing that Ukraine was the instigator. The Budapest agreement literally emphasises the right to sovereignty so if they want to join the EU, they're free to and even the dreaded NATO which Russia had a cooperative agreement with before Crimea. Now calamari thinks Ukraine are the guys putting the agreement into doubt? The contortions one has to make to believe that...

There's that mental gymnastics Dohnjoe was telling us about in the post Calamari was complaining about...

"....The memorandum prohibited the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States from threatening or using military force or economic coercion against Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan. As a result of other agreements and the memorandum, between 1993 and 1996, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons....."

The fact that this now has left Ukraine unprotected from Russian aggression and protects Russia from any one coming to the Ukraine defence. Now is very ironic.

There's the imaginary Ukrainian nuclear weapons program to worry about though! Sure, the Budapest Agreement is clearly doing a great job at the moment, why would Ukraine question if it had been violated?

Weapons of Mass Destruction!

See it is America's fault. Russia is only doing it cause they learned from watching them!

Putin effectively had a disarmed buffet state in the Ukraine.

He'll have difficulty getting anyone to fall for that trick again after this.

Economically no one will risk doing deals with him again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You mentioned earlier that Russia looked to join NATO but it was in USAs interest to ignore it, would you mind elaborating why that would of been the case at the time? I think Meirsheimer made a similar statement , is there a chance it was more complacency (russia are done) and not giving russia much thought or was there a strategic benefit to ignoring them?

The US will do business and negotiate uncomfortable alliances when it suits. Indeed it seems that many think they should try and strike up some deal of sorts with China and improve relations. Hindsight aside, I just don’t get why isolating Putin in 2000 was in USA interest.

In terms of NATO expansion, Meirsheimer alludes to the same idea that this was perceived as an act of aggression by the Russians, an existential threat is how he put it. Again, why would NATO (USA) go out of its way to upset russia? This is what I don’t get, it looks more like NATO (USA) just didn’t actually care about russia and didn’t bother listening to Putin (didn’t take him seriously).

I originally asked the question in the thread wondering more was it partially Americans actions (not necessarily intended) or a blend of intention and unintended consequences that’s led to the crisis.

Be careful of taking one political scientist too seriously, here's a response I wrote about this in another thread

Mearsheimer, like most realists, has some very questionable views. In a nutshell, according to him, democratic countries existing beside Russia was a threat to Putin which culminated in the invasion of Ukraine, so those countries, alongside the West are ultimately to "blame" for the invasion. It has a twisted sort of technical truth to it, but using that same logic then e.g. the war reparations and Versailles treaty created the groundwork for the rise of Hitler, therefore, the West is ultimately to "blame" for WW2. This kind of schtick is why people don't take political scientists very seriously these days.

Anyway here's a decent rebuttal and explainer.

• Advertisement

Stolen from @Dohnjoe, 7 Generals killed in action and 1 fired. So almost hit the half way mark. I'm waiting for @Cheerful S to claim that this is all normal and aren't major wins for Ukraine to take out so much of the high command.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I genuinely am not coming at this from a perspective of knowledge, more curiosity. My own view is that at best , the west failed to manage Russia (Putin) in a way that might of avoided the conflict. Putin is who is he is, I think the old “stay closer to your enemies” mantra might of been a wiser tact.

But thanks for posting that link. I was reading through it there:

Russia is not a great power. It is obviously a declining power, objectively so.

Yes, but isn’t the problem that even as a declining power they still have those Nukes in their back pocket. A homeless person with a rocket launcher can make big threats and still do more damage then the average joe. I would of thought it wiser to try to manage the homes less guy with more caution regardless of how little he actually has, he probably thinks he’s the dogs bollox, if you keep letting him wave his weapon he might believe his own hype !

Given this, it is not NATO’s responsibility to protect Russian state security interests. It is Russia’s responsibility to give wide berth to NATO, recognizing—as every realist should—that the strong do what they will, the weak do what they must.

This immediately starts to take a “get out of NATOs way” stance. That on its own suggests Conflict or intimidation or threat on NATOs part. In short , NATOs stance was that Russia should stay in its box and put up with whatever NATO was going to do Because Russia is small. This doesn’t sound like a reasonably diplomatic way of going about your business or even trying to manage Russia , it’s basically saying to Russia “STFU, we will do whatever we want!”

Objectively, no one wants to invade or destroy Russia, there are not and have never been plans for a NATO conquest of Russia.

I can’t answer that but I was more under the impression of that Putin was more concerned with missiles and American troops can taut be stationed all along Russias border. One can’t really have a more progressive consideration without asking what people think USA would do if China made alliances with Canada and Mexico where they could put in troops etc.

If you think Russia isn’t a superpower, so we can’t compare them to USA , why does that mater? North Korea isn’t a super power and they keep passively threatening their neighbours. But even at that, it’s an authoritarian stance that Russia is somehow not allowed to feel this way because they don’t have the means to throw their weight around. I honestly don’t get this logic, if the smallest country in the world feels threatened, the will take whatever actions they feel they need to do.

Do we take the stance that pretty much anything the US does is kind of ok because they are better then the alternatives? Do we excuse the big boys going around the world bullying everybody into submission and ignoring smaller autocracies/dictators because we are on their side? Is there no chance Some of USAs policy’s may lead to these sort of conflicts and if so why are they exempt from analysis?

My perspective in all instances is usually “what’s the second side to a story being told”. I do it when people are telling me an event, I default to “I wonder what the other person would say”. Prob cause I’ve grown up with people who in later years did I realise were quite deluded and usually tell stories where they are the innocent parties in events that unfold. They are always in conflict with people and it’s always other peoples fault! Sorry, I digress.

I suppose I always think trying to understand both sides is the best way of managing a situation.

In the immediate short run, Ukrainians will pay the prices for Russia’s strategic errors, but in the long run, Russia will bear the consequences. It has demonstrated clearly the limits of its force projection capabilities, and united NATO and the EU and a bunch of other hard-hearted neutral states at the same time.

That may be the case but making a strategic error does not really mitigate the reasons why the decision was made in the first place.

I suppose I think if you have a person who has loads of Nukes you manage them as best you can. That’s not necessarily appeasing them but one thing you shouldn’t do is create alliances (gas etc) where you rely on them to the point they think they have you.

From a very basic viewpoint it looks like Putin has been saying for years how he felt about expansion towards Russia and hinting at what he might do. It just looks like nobody took him seriously and everybody was happy to do business and make alliances with him , rather then investigate if he’d ever go through with threats.

Seeing Johnson , in Londongrad , talk so vehemently against Russia was weird. It seems so hypocritical, would be like the church saying now “priests abusing children is so wrong” and totally changing how they handled it as if they have always prioritised children's welfare over the reputation institution.

None of this is apologetic to Putin , justifies what he’s done or makes Ukraine responsible in any way for his aggression. I just think the west could of done more to avoid this. I think if you have a person like Putin you try to learn what makes him tick, understand him, what motivates him and how to usher him towards conservative decisions. The responsibility falls to the responsible people when you have a person like Putin and when you see a poor country like Ukraine getting destroyed , a fair question is “was enough done to help avoid this?”

I think the west was happy to do business with him and ignore the other stuff while he was remaining in his box (Georgia/crimea aside) and for that it’s a great shame.

As a supporter of a team from the premier league , I see the same hypocrisy , where they will do business with dirty money and turn a blind eye to where it came from, because it’s profitable and it suits them. The crimes are being comitted far away and people in England aren’t being affected by it so where’s the harm?

Just one more insight into my thinking, I had to do what’s called a searching and moral inventory of oneself many years ago. It’s where you have to look at your role in a situation, your reactions and see if perhaps there are personal hidden motives you failed to grasp (rather then blame everybody else). We can all delude ourselves at times, particularly in an incident that’s annoyed us. But I take this stance in a lot of things now, not in a conspiratorial way, more inquisitive.

You can't talk about Russia or indeed any country and govt without looking is it a democracy or does it abuse the human rights and civil liberties of own population. Is it a free society or a police state. Does it have free elections, or does it have political freedom.

West can't win here. Its been accused of doing nothing, appeasing Putin, war mongering. Anything they do is wrong.

Ultimately it seems clear Putin was going to do what he wanted to regardless what anyone else did or said. He said one thing and then done the opposite. He's been given the best economic potential Russia ever had and the least threats, and he still went to war. He done everything people predicted he would do. In fact he's exceed beyond anyone's imagination.

Even the Ukraine, sat on the fence politically and was still invaded and obliterated. Putin has demonstrated beyond all doubt that was never realistic change of appeasing Russia with current regime and Putin. That there is no means to appease him the future.

Ultimately this is about the Ukraine's right to independence. You're either for that or against it.

Once things for sure, giving Putin more power does not sate his appetite for more.

Right, it's easy to say the world didn't do enough about Hitler Putin with the benefit of hindsight

I don't get why the US is being singled out here. Obama called Putin out long ago, led sanctions in 2014 when Putin annexed Crimea and invaded East Ukraine. Trump had a diametrically opposed view, openly fawned over Putin and spent most of his time trying to split up NATO, he was labelling Putin a genius up until the day he invaded. When Biden took over, he started sending arms to Ukraine and training them.

Why is the US to blame (a "significantly negative role" means exactly that) for Putin unilaterally deciding to invade Ukraine?

I single the US out because they are the super power of the world. What they do or don’t do matters more then anybody else. Not to coin a corny phrase but with great power comes great responsibility.

By their actions and treatment of others , they set the rules of the game. If another country (or leader of that country)has delusions of grandeur and thinks it’s a big dog, you can’t turnaround and say “you can’t do that, only USA do that” and expect things to de-escalate.

I did not see Mearsheimer explain how the US is 100% to blame for the war. But he did raise interesting points for and I think a more pertinent question would be what portion of the blame is on their doorstep of the USA.

I think Ukraine has every right to fight for its freedom.

But I don’t agree that this thread has anything to do with that. The question is more so about what happened before the conflict.

One can be on Ukraines side 100%, totally against Putins actions and at the same time ask “could more of been done to prevent this”.

Except the central way to discourage this happening was for Ukraine to be a puppet state under Yanukovych. Basically a loss of sovereignty. That has nothing to do with the US. And the previously mentioned Budapest agreement allows Ukraine to join international organisations if they so wish. Basically Putin wanted Ukraine to be under his thumb when he realised that wasn't gonna be the case, he invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I wont name names, but for those who are labouring under the illusion that Putin felt threatened by Nato expansion... you're dreaming!

It's a cut and dried case of the pot calling the kettle black: Putin says he feels threatened by what an independent country does within its own borders, when they are not threatening Russia in any shape or form, yet he has nuclear warheads pointed at all corners of the world. So effectively saying don't do as I do, do as I tell you.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the USA in past history, it's still the defender of the free world and democracy. And people who harp on about how the USA have played a role in the Ukraine conflict coming about should remember...

USA don't send agents around the world poisoning dissidents and perceived enemies

USA don't enshrine laws that can imprison you for 15 years for holding a placard up

USA don't eradicate any and every legitimate opposition to the state

USA don't condemn and outlaw free speech and the media

Putin's attempts to construct an elaborate smokescreen doesn't fool anyone. He's making a land grab, pure and simple. This would have been the first of many. And his dream is to reunify most of the former Soviet empire. That is what he wants to leave as his legacy.

To pillory the USA for playing a role or somehow being partially responsible for the invasion of Ukraine is seeing the facts staring you in the face through Stevie Wonder's glasses.

• Advertisement

If the US doesn't do enough, it's appeasing Putin. If it does too much it's criticised for warmongering.

What about China, they have essentially given Putin the greenlight, they have abstained from UN votes, they have pledged to facilitate his war machine, they have danced on the fence. If they came down hard and sanctioned him, they could end this pretty much instantly. Why do they receive no blame? And US, which has the opposite position, does?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement