Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Six weeks overseas won't be a problem but six months almost certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd be rumbled on the first phone call and the Spanish ringing tone.

Plenty of employers would be fine with it for short periods - my current employer is for those who can WFH; my previous who did significant WFH years before the pandemic was an issue were absolutely fine with it for as long as you remained Irish tax resident. But doing it without knowledge is not going to be particularly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You probably could get around it but I am sure contacts of employment and ethics policies would be updated to make it an instant dismissible offence.

I remember before covid when I was working remote and traveling in a different country to where I was based there was a long list of tasks that I was unable to carry out…The most important one was not being able to talk or reply to customer emails that involved any sales or quotes as it would have lead to a multiple regulatory breach due to not having a regulatory license to sell from the country I was in and that was even for one day or just passing through for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I think most of those who moved out and are demanding 80-100% WFH are people who actually moved back somewhere very early on in the pandemic, and that somewhere is usually a lot further than just some satellite of the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

One question I saw was being discussed online today was in relation to inflation and, specifically, what the central banks can do to calm it without popping the housing market bubble.

There seems to be a belief that inflation is going to get worse before it gets better and that the central banks will have to act to try to calm the situation. Typically, in an inflation environment, they would attempt to control inflation via setting of market interest rates.

Right now is the most intense inflationary environment we have found ourselves in for a long time, so the perception would be that central banks really need to act to ensure price stability before things escalate further. The mandate of the ECB is to keep inflation low in order to ensure price stability.

Therefore, from what I gather, it appears almost guaranteed that rates will rise more than a little over the coming months which, as we know, inversely correlates to the asset bubble growth, meaning that asset prices correct.

To lock in a low for long mortgage interest rate or sit on the fence and not buy something that could drop in price within a few months or just buy something to be out of the rental game and the house hunting game, these are the big questions to consider.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t assume that interest rate rises will lead to a fall in house prices in Ireland. I imagine it will cool the market but won’t lead to a drop in house prices (with the exception of the top end of the market)

There is evidence of wage growth which will lead to a second round of inflation but at the same time will push up or support prices because less people will be limited by the LTI limits which will support the sub 500k market. In addition the replacement cost of a property will increase due to inflation which also provides a floor for existing property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I don't think the working environment is a fraction as unionised as back in the 70s 80s. Nowadays unions are watered down or else non existent especially in American Multinationals. Wages are increasing for higher paid in demand jobs but on average they are not increasing that much. I dont see wages increases coming close to what the Inflation rates is.

I really do believe when higher ates kick they will drop the market by 25%. I don't see houses dropping off anymore that that I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i think theres a lot of wishful thinking in regards prices, we ve no real clue where they ll go to, they could very well keep climbing, until we get a handle on supply, rate hikes are gonna be a disaster for the economy in general, i think central banks will have to engage in fairly radical polices, to try deal with the negative aspects....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We also don't seem to be facing any immediate interest rate rises by the ECB either. The bond buying programme is not expected to finish until Q3 at the earliest, and the ECB has signalled time and time again that no interest rate rises will occur before then and that a period of time will have to pass between the ending of bond purchasing and the rising of rates. It's pretty clear that if Lagarde has her way, we won't see any interest rate rises this year whatsoever.

Lagarde stated just last week that the ECB will not move on interest rates while the bond buying programme is in place and that it will not end until Q3 at the earliest. So the ECB is making its market guidance commentary with the latest sky high inflation figures in mind.

Personally I would be surprised if we get through the year without any rate rises, but then on the other hand I've been wrong up until now. I expected rate rises to have occurred by now. It's pretty clear that the ECB is extremely reluctant to increase rates at the moment and is instead willing to put up with inflation in the short term. For many people, that means their deposits for a mortgage will continue to be eroded over the course of the year while mortgage holders see inflation eating away at their loans while interest rates remain at rock bottom levels. The ECB's policies have directly benefited asset holders for the last decade and it seems that trend is set to continue.

There's going to be a serious divergence between the ECB and the Fed as the year goes on when it comes to interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Going out until the end of the decade, housing will increasingly become an institutional asset as large financial corporations, private equity firms and instituonal money are buying up single-family homes. (Aside: I think this is the form that the 'Great Reset' will take.)

This is what happened in the manufacturing business and other areas like farming. Large corporate farms can operate at thin profit margins by the sheer size of their operation they can accept lower returns, tax adavantages and other factors, and when a small farmer goes bust they scoop up the distressed assets and add it to their empire.

Excerpt from an article behind a paywall at PERE (Private Equity Real Estate) News:

'As the SFR sector continues to deliver stellar performance – total returns for SFR REITS eclipsed 50 percent in each of the last two years, according to industry group Nareit – and become more transparent, the cost of capital will fall, Pattison says. This means institutions will be able to accept a lower rate of return, giving them a competitive advantage over non-institutional buyers.

“As the required rate of return goes down,” he says, “it means that for an average family or household thinking about where they want to live, the rental proposition will look more attractive than the buying proposition.”'

• Advertisement

the growing anger over such polices is now probably at a sufficient level, that more and more unpredictability's will continue, including in election outcomes, we could very well be coming to some sort of conclusion of these global policies, globalisation, call it what you will, i suspect this is where we re at, only thing is, we dont know what happens next, lets hope it doesnt become more violent and destructive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hmm I think that the large interests who are engaged in this will have something up their sleeve.

At the same time as big players buy up hard assets (not just housing but also land, and especially farmland), the plebes are heavily encouraged to buy soft assets like Bitcoin which can be wiped away in a reset of the monetary system.

It could all dovetail with something big like WWIII or 'the next pandemic' or whatever, and perhaps people will accept a lower standard of living justified on the back of a big crisis.

I honestly don't know but we didn't get from the 19th century to here in a straight line so I guess all sorts of unforeseen reactions could come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think there will be a slight contraction in house prices this year. There is a few reason for this. New builds will stabilise but secondhand may drop off the present peak by 5-15%.

The reasons are that there seems to be movement on selling some secondhand stock for various reason.

Accidental landlords will continue to divest properties that were in negative equity but now are back to at least original values. Because I'd regulations some smaller landlord will sell up. Houses that would previously be rented, a mother or father who's spouse is deceased moving in with a son or daughter often previously rented the house. There is no appetite now for that and strong house values make selling more attractive.

Stock of houses who's sale was held up by COVID will come online. In larger towns and villages the tendancy now that is to move on vacant premises as prices are good.

Interest rates and inflation will limit the ability to borrow. There is resistance to price increases.

However do not expect a collapse. IMO the correction will be more a levelling of prices than a collapse. 5-10% is my guess and it will be a 12-18 month window.

Slava Ukrainii

yea, nobody knows where this is going, those that are financially gaining from this, are also losing though, as our societies and economies become more and more unstable, no one is really safe here, but we better start knocking heads together, or.....

i suspect the rise in cryptos is in fact directly related to the rise in wealth inequality, which is ultimately whats occurring with all of this, people are simply trying whatever they can to get ahead, but as you said, the value of such markets could simply be wiped in an act, purposely or not, crypto markets are already being effectively influenced and controlled by the same or similar asset owners, mostly by major investment groups, pump and dumps etc.....

yup, all of this paves the way to war, as history has shown us, time for us all to pull our socks up!

The West has more to lose from war than gain. My main reason for this is because we just don't make anything that we need anymore, we rely on the East for physical goods like tech, energy and even food. A war would likely be with the East and therefore we would be at a risk of having food, energy and tech issues which are fundamental to our daily lives. Talk of a war is just bluster, likely from a disasterous Democratic presidency I t he US desperate to deflect before the midterms, and the fact remains that the Ukranian crisis is just a localised conflict in Eastern Ukraine, with Russia now stating that it is no longer advancing (they could be lying or they could be hiding the fact they are losing so have decided to set their line in the sand a lot closer than originally planned).

There are numerous black swans hovering around in the global skies but Irish populism will slice them all down and cause issues in Ireland more than any of the global events will in the medium term. SF and friends is what I am specifically referring to.

As a somewhat separate point, in addition to the €300 energy credit and income tax cuts, the government are considering dropping the VAT rate to 9%. Of relevance to property for me is that this is another cost which will make it harder for the government to justify pumping money into the property market as the alternative expenditures, food and energy, are more fundamental to our lives than high housing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

A window into the future of our disastrous housing policy perhaps. Those that have brought the world to the brink in financial, economic and now war benefiting from years of inept policies. Have we all forgotten the huge profits Abramovic made from Anglo bonds after buying them for cents on the euro and cashing in on the bank guarentee

Wonder what the reaction would be if SF did half the damage

The Ukrainian war is not just ‘a localised conflict in eastern Ukraine’. The world is at war with Russia on an economic footing and it has wide and far reaching consequences that will be felt for years to come. Just because the rest of the world is not sending troops into Ukrainian doesn’t make it a localised conflict.

Lagarde and the ECB has lost all credibility and the markets know this. They said inflation was transitory citing the supply chain issues, China now in lockdown again as there vaccine is ineffective and up until Dec ber she was spouting this Then it turned to Ukraine as the new problem of why there prediction was wrong. Fertiliser price was already 250% higher last November than the previous year so food price inflation was inevitable and now the breadbasket of Ukraine and potash heaven of Russia have turbo charged that crisis.

The dog on the street knows the ECB are in cuckoo land, and I would tend to agree with you they will most probably kick the rates can down the road as long as they can but I think this could prove to be a very bad mistake.

Anyway come next winter when food price of the actual raw production costs of the farmer are passed on (not just the processing, packaging and supply chain costs that we are seeing in the food price inflation now) and raw energy costs start to spike due to seasonal demand, I think our friends the French will be up in arms protesting and the ECB may have no choice but to bite the bullet and aggressively fight inflation.

Front page of farmers journal 20/11/2021 before any invasion. In fact Irealnd sent representatives over to Europe around this time to discuss the fertiliser cost. The reply from Europe at the time was that the problem was transitory and it would sort itself out over 8-10 months and that the farmer would just have to deal with it. I **** you knot. I really have no faith in the European policy makers atall there out of touch.

The physical acts are only occurring in Eastern Ukraine. It is a localised conflict and certainly not something that will lead to much harsher sanctions against Russia if it turns out that actually we in the West are all paying for them in our daily lives. Some people are way over the top about what is happening, talking of WWIII, it's madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And it would have been an 8-10 month issue except the Ukraine/Russian problem. European manufacturers had started to produce again. The problem w is that the Ukraine/Russia conflict disrupted the supply to Europe. As well because it is likely that Ukraine grain harvest may only be 50-60% of normal this year this has put on pressure to plant more grains in Europe.

It was expect that fertilizer would have drop back in late April/May to 500/ton average it about 100/ton ( 20%) above a rolling 5 year average or about 10% above previous peaks

Talk about a poor analysis.tgr effects are felt world wide. Sanctions on Russia are getting more and more severe. It's unknown what will be the long term problems for Russia. The EU intends to wean itself off Russian gas not just in the medium term but in the short term now.

Germany will recommission its nuclear plants. We probably will build one ourselves. Problem for Putin now is how he exits the process. 40-50% of Ukrainian migrants will not return home for 2-3 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

I think you are absolutely spot on and I echo this view. Housing is becoming so expensive in the west that private equity and institutional money are becoming the only ones who can afford to buy and own it. The worlds largest asset manager, Blackrock, is buying up "every single family house they can find, paying 20-50% above asking price and outbidding normal home buyers.":

They're not the only ones, and it's happening here too as we well know. This is all piling on price pressure, with rising costs and now high inflation added to the mix. Everything is becoming "subscription" based - first it was software and now it's moving into everyday life, car manufacturers are starting to do it, there was a rumour this week that Apple will start doing it with iPhones, and now homes will have to be rented for many in the younger generation.

"You'll own nothing and you'll be happy".

I dont totally agree with that, price of fertiliser may have came down inn 8-10 months like you say but the crop grown using fertiliser at 250% higher prices was always going to be passed on through the food chain giving food price inflation meaning the ECB saying inflation was transitory was utter crap they new this would happen in November and they new China supply issues were not resolved yet they still said it was transitory

Don’t know where you are getting your information from but fighting is not just in eastern Ukraine. what is madness is thinking this is just a localised conflict!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Attended another viewing today - queues of people outside waiting to get in.

I realise this is nothing new and was the case pre-covid; however, one thing that is no abundantly clear is the number of older couples who are looking to downsize and buying smaller properties.

I am no way being ageist but again, this does not help young couples/single people on low/middle or even high incomes. These people are technically cash buyers and having your mortgage approval/cash deposit means absolutely nothing now.

It’s beyond deflating at this point

Quite depressing, best of luck in the house hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Working and saving the last 10 years to buy my first place. Didn’t get any gift money, no rich parents just hard work and going to viewings is becoming depressing.

Myself and partner went to that viewing this morning, we both came away so deflated. May aswell just give up it’s pointless

its these kind of stories thats fueling my anger about property, its a mess, people such as yourself do not deserve this, you ve done everything right in trying to achieve this critical need, we re now in serious trouble! this is all gonna lead to very serious issues, economically and socially! best of luck with things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

And a lot of housing stock hasn't been touched since 70s-80s.

Bought for 15-30k, now being sold for 380-450k, and very little changed (maybe the windows are from the 90s).

You've worked and scrounged for years, and you're looking at handing it all over for such properties, meanwhile mammy gets her forever home, in prime working location, for pittance along with 6-10k cheque saying "furnish it".

Makes me sick.

• Advertisement

Advertisement