Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, again, I don't think the Daily Mail was claiming that, instead reporting that it was Russia claiming that. The Daily Mail can be a pretty sleazy tabloid, but even they couldn't be that bad.

Fascinating, though, that the extremity of Western right-wing, particularly in America, will happily lap this kind Russian propaganda up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I have heard that stuff from Russians I've known. Their propaganda "history" of World War Two is staggeringly daft in places. According to what they're taught out of the womb Russia never put a foot wrong in that and history is either spun as part of Stalin's grand plan(he tricked the Germans to come in such huge numbers to encircle them. Yep...), or like the examples you gave is completely omitted. The Allies did little save for the start and were corrupted by America's influence.

I also noticed, or rather fully fleshed out what I noticed in the past but didn't quite solidify into thoughts, but because of recent events see another pattern. Namely how Ukrainians were viewed and how this has been spun by the Kremlin and changed over time to their ends. I knew a Ukrainian woman ten years ago and she was friends with some Russians and other Russians I knew suggested I should bring her over for a get together(a housewarming IIRC). Fast forward to around five years ago and her name came up in passing with the same Russians and the tone had shifted. She was of Russian background herself and grew up in the West of Ukraine and the Russian line was "how can she live happily there? That's very odd" kinda thing. I thought it a bit strange at the time, but didn't really delve any deeper as I hadn't seen her in years. The impression I got was since the invasion and annexation of Crimea and after Maidan and the Russian stooge getting the heave ho, the Russian top down spin has gone from "Brothers in Little Russia" to "Nazis on our doorstep, whores to NATO". And these are all people living in the West, though they naturally as diasporas the world over do consume the media of the old country. Now imagine that same stuff being fed to Russians in Russia itself, especially beyond the urban western parts of the country and you can build suspicion, even hate quite easily.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Not just generals. According to the higher end estimates, they've lost roughly the same amount of troops generally in the first month in Ukraine as they have in the whole Afghanistan campaign. So they are losing generals in roughly the same proportion of troops generally but at a much higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@Strazdas - Very good article in today's Indo about the brainwashing and gaslighting of the Russian public which has been going on for many years.

And all done under Putin's direct orders.

I'm pretty sure he'd do it personally if there were enough days in a week.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm picking up a fair bit of arrogance and racism in the way they talk about Ukrainian people. Even openly describing them as "neo-Nazis", "drug users" and "bandits" strikes me as them viewing their near neighbour with contempt and they (Russians) thinking they are superior to them. It's all rather unpleasant and doesn't reflect well on them - there's almost a touch of the 'master race' stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

A lot of the leading figures in the governing SPD party earned their spurs under chancellor Gerhard Schröder, including Olaf Scholz. As a consequence, they would have had regular dealings with staff at the Russian embassy in Berlin, though I doubt all are as corrupt and morally bankrupt as Schröder turned out to be. This was in all likelihood reinforced by the preceding decades of "Ostpolitik" started by Willy Brandt and kept up by every chancellor since then, as well as by a genuine desire to not antagonise Russia again. This has afforded Russia an inordinate amount of influence in Berlin, something that is only now beginning to change, even though reluctantly.

And it's not just the centre-left SPD that's affected by it. The conservative CDU, the party of former chancellor Angela Merkel, has had a similarly close relationship with Russia, dating back to the days of Helmut Kohl, who developed close connections in the mid-eighties and then used them to not only get Gorbachev to agree to reunification in 1990, but to also convince him to withdraw all Russian troops from East German territory. Thankfully, whilst the SPD still needs to be pushed to change by their coalition partners, namely the Greens, the CDU has recently elected a prominently anti-Russian candidate as its leader. As much as I despise Friedrich Merz for his MANY other failings, I doubt he'd ever get as cozy with Putin as Schröder and Merkel did.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Massive fire in Lviv (the city is close to Polosh border). I guess it's the Putler's way of saying "Hi Joe" while Biden is in Poland. TV is only showing smoke in the sky as Lviv governor asked not to show the details that would allow Russians to asses the damage after the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Might make it hard to keep those websites up...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Theres a few nato vessels including french aircraft carrier off the coast of Romania.

They could wipe out the Russian fleet in minutes if they have wanted to and hit Targets in Crimea and elsewhere in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Appears to have been hit by three big missiles.

Some people are indeed wondering if this was aimed at Joe Biden who is at the Poland - Ukraine border this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The missiles hit a town on the outskirts of lviv.

Reports are the target was a communication tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I'm told many Russians still view Stalin as a hero to the Russian people, totally unaware of the carnage he put to his own people so that's not too surprising to me at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Putin would surely be very very careful about not hitting Biden?

That must be unprecedented in modern times. Possibly the start of the Rwandan genocide, but even that was a civil war (if that's really a difference). Can't imagine what the response would be there. But it'd surely legitimately bring the US into things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nothing 'Marxist' about modern Russia. Russia is more far right than far left. Pretty much all the far right talking points of the last decade Putin is big believer in.

Putins ideology right now is much closer to fascism than communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hopefully one of the days they'll make a big discovery like Joey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Russia considers bitcoins as a method of payment for oil/gas:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nazi thing is absolute nonsense. Putin has bankrolled most of the major far right movements across Europe past decade. Russia itself is full of far right neo nazi like groups.

Last Ukraine election only 2% of the electorate voted for right right candidates. That's much much less than in France, Italy, Germany, Sweden etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Irrelevant question, the Ukrainians aren't recruiting mercenaries from Syria, the Russians are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

There's no way the Russians have any interest in assassinating Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

And what country would be that, Sherlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Assinate Biden? They can't even hold on to their weaponry against fcucking farmers. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That certainly wasn't the case not so long ago, at least in my I grant you limited experience. It's much more a new thing. The nazi thing is even more ridiculous as Mother Russia has her fair share of neo nazi and far right groups. Even Moscow's poster boys for nazis the Azoz had it's genesis in a bunch called Section 82, or something like that, a neo nazi group allied to the Moscow Spartak FC Ultras a Russian neo nazi group that masqueraded as football supporters. Far Right nationalists are not too hard to find in that neck of the woods.

The master race stuff in general when it comes to Russian, and something their autocrat promotes is IMHO more of an insecurity than anything. Their history is framed as being one of victims, attacked from outside 'foreign" forces and the plucky Russians defended their land and pushed them back. The fear of the outsider and the outsider's culture and deviat influence is strong. WW2 reinforced that and propaganda around that terrible event is and has been pushed heavily to the generations since. Well a fearful people are a more controllable people(I have had two Russians tell me Chernobyl was a CIA plot..). A technique used by autocrats even otherwise democratic governments the world over. QV the Reds under the bed paranoia in 1950's America.

Earlier in the thread somebody expanded more on this Russian arrogance thing and how they were all **** and my initial reaction was WTF? The more I thought on it the majority of Russians I've known have been women. All but one were perfectly pleasant people. When I think of the handful of Russian men I've met, yeah there was more of the arrogance thing alright. One guy was sound as a pound, another was fairly OK if mad as a march hare, the other two, were yeah arrogant. However, again I found that just below the surface it was a faux arrogance based on insecurity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

rogber: "There's no way the Russians have any interest in assassinating Biden."

It was sabre rattling at Biden rather than a literal attack on his person.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That is false. They have western weapons that they were giving for free. No war since WW2 has any country received modern western weapons for free. Where is the thousand of weapons for Yemen where is the out cry for those poor people. And free aid. America in Iraq and Afghanistan up against poorly trained and badly armed people. Iraq and Afgan didn't get free modern weapons to take out America. What about Palestine they do not get free weapons and money while Israel does every year and look how they dominate. So no what you are saying does not ring true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement