Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ireland have really woken up since the goal.

Much better performance now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ogbene has been bright. The set pieces have been frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,474 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That was ridiculous. Pathetic by about three of them in front of goal.

McLean the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

2 players 7 yards out completely free there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Migs looks just as flappy as he did in his Liverpool days. Get some shots at him and he'll hand us a 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Decent performance undermined by individual errors atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland improved from the first 20 minutes. They deserve at least a draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is that Andy Townsend doing co-commentary on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,474 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's a great goal. Doherty did great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ogbene better get MOTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Superb goal. Great header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Fcuking hell, another excellent goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, he's been excellent. Turning into a very important player for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Foket I think Ireland deserve that. Ogbene is turning into a legend. His goal really- on plate for Browne.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ogpele MoTM.

The low level some of our players are playing at has been remarked on, but our best player today is a League One player.

Good result and some decent spells of play. The first 30 mins was dreadful though so Kenny will have to address that.

Kelleher with not a single save tonight. That is odd given the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A deserved result overall. Good and bad patches. I think we looked pretty comfortable in possession. No helter skelter moments really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Again, another decent performance. We had 4 league one players playing tonight. You may say its against a Belgium reserve side, but Tielemanns, Hazard, Batshuai etc would walk into our team.

The last 12 months been good, long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,146 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Surely someone higher than a league 1 yo yo club is taking notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Enjoyed that game, great to see ireland play some good football and Irish players with smile on faces.

Seamus already in his pyjamas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Gotta love Ogbene, and he's out of contract in the summer so should hopefully bring a bit of more interest his way performing well for us.

Two disappointing goals to concede, especially the second goal having two players free in the box like that. Wonder what changes we'll see on Tuesday. If he'll make wholesale changes or just the subs that came on getting a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

In hindsight it wasn't that bad. They didn't really threaten too much and the players stuck with the pressing and eventually it got us some not. If the game went 90 minutes like that it would be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Ogbene was class. He's wasted playing wing back for Rotherham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ogbene's goal was good but he was given a ridiculous amount of time in the box to tee up his shot. Really shoddy defending by Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭kksaints

Enjoyable friendly. We were poor for the first 30 minutes but improved considerably after that. Ogbene man of the match. Scored a cracking goal and some excellent work to keep the ball in play for the equaliser. Robinson improved after a poor first half in the second. Thought our defending for their second was really bad, two players were free for headers. Didn't think Knight played particularly well today and I wonder is he possibly better as a impact sub when the game becomes stretched.

The 19s are currently 1-0 up at half time against Portugal. Johnny Kenny with the goal and surprised he's playing after being stretchered off the other night against England.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did tonight put to bed the Kelliher/Bazunu arguments? I don't think Kelliher did anything that bad but definitely did not do enough to claim the spot.

I would still have him as third choice tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All in all a lot more positives than negatives. This team have come on in bloody leaps and bounds over the past 9 months! Exciting time to be a fan for the first time in so so long.

Finished 4-1 to Portugal with three late goals coming in the 84th, 92nd, and 95th minute. For some reason we only had five subs on the bench which was probably a big factor in the result. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goal all came from subs while Ireland made one sub all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

What did you want him to do? I can't understand this post at all. He literally had nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I feel for Knight because his versatility and the limited resources at Derby mean he is getting shifted all over the place and clearly his game is suffering as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I really like what I’ve seen of Knight, and I hope that Kenny persists with him. I think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We havent seen enough of him to say he is better than Travers. Travers could very well be the only one of them playing PL. Sure what does that count for. I know you are probably a wee bit biased though.

Good solid outing. Ogbene good. At 25 in May he needs to move to championship. Browne is a better option than Hendrick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There was 2 goals that could have been saved. Outside of that there were a couple of occasions where he should have come for a ball but didn't.

He didn't play badly but didn't do anything to change my opinion

He had literally no chance whatsover with the second and I wouldn't pin the first on him either.

• Advertisement

I am not pinning anything on him. My point was that no one walked away from that thinking that Kelliher had an amazing performance and needs to replace Bazunu.

Really disappointed for Mark Travers as he deserves another opportunity. That Serbia game might have destroyed his international career.

Personally I'de take the guy playing every week. Must be great for Kelliher to say he plays for Liverpool but a bit of League Cup isn't good enough against someone who is both on the City books and also getting a full season of games.

As for Ogbene Rotherham will almost certainly get promoted but I think he could go to a bigger club all the same.

And that's a good thing, because for Kelleher to have any kind of performance where you'd think damn should he be number one would have meant Belgium ripping us a new one and Kelleher saving our asses.

IMO it's Bazunu's jersey to lose as he's been performing good for us and it's probably gonna take some poor performances from him rather than one of the back up keepers playing good in friendlies for him to lose his spot.

For himself he should look to move and get a better contract somewhere else as Rotherham will always be a League One yo-yo club. If he wants to stay at Rotherham fair enough because as long as he keeps putting in good performances when he pulls on the Irish jersey I couldn't care less where he's playing his club football.

Will be interesting to see if both or one of Bazunu and travers make their respective leagues team of the season

EFL team of the season is decided by whoscored I'm pretty sure. So easy enough to check out and see where each keeper stands regards team of the season. Haven't checked it in a few weeks but Travers was ranked 3rd or 4th in the championship for keepers. Huddersfield Lee Nicholls was ranked number one amongst the keepers but could have dropped a place after their 3-0 loss to Bournemouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Exactly. We aren’t in a position to be discarding players on the basis of what league they are playing in. Ogbene has performed very well in the green shirt whenever he’s played, and that’s all that counts. We don’t have a squad full of Premier League players, and that’s just the way it is.

edit - No doubt if the chance of a move to a club at a higher level transpires then he’ll grab it with both hands, as all players would.

Wes Foderingham (Sheffield United), Lee Nicholls (Huddersfield), Matt Ingram (Hull) are the top three rated keepers in the championship. Travers is fourth and same rating as Ingram though.

Jamie Cumming (Gillingham/MK Dons), Michael Cooper (Plymouth), David Stockdale (Wycombe) are the top three rated keepers in League One. Bazunu is fourth just one point below Stockdale.

Looking at the ratings and Luke McNally is the highest rated CB in League One this season.

Never even heard of Luke mcnally before. Seems to have goal scoring knack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So that would be Mark Travers then playing week in week out with the Bournemouth in the Championship.

I'd have to agree having him above Kelleher as number two at Liverpool who just really plays cup games and Gavin Bazunu playing for midtable League 1 Portsmouth

I'll take a keeper playing regular any day assuming their skill levels are similar. Wouldn't say there is much difference between championship and L1 though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement