Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Dunedin

So your telling the poster on one hand that €850-880 is plenty for them but your also telling him he’ll have to pay €1000-1100 to actually buy.

Not very helpful to him really. He wasn’t asking the value , just the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭High bike

I know it's too late now but would that weight heifers be a better trade in 2 or 3 weeks when grass is growing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sold some this week 360 kg for 880 euro.

All bred off our replacement dairy heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Good weight in fairness and a nice touch out of them with most of the costs at last years prices. Just shows how inefficient the suckler cow is when they are only making 2-300 more at the same age and when those heifers probably sold 2500 of milk last year aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

€2.44/kg. That’s what they’re making around here too. It’s a nice touch for them in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Sold on bulls in gortatlea, 370kg 1260, it was quite around the ring, on line seemed active

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

By the way lads are thinking and begining to panic yearling's will be great value this spring

I cannot understand it. Most of you lads will be spreading 2-3 bags of 18-6-12 on grazing ground. A bag of Urea sit over three applications will get you out if trouble this year. Ya you will rob a bit of P&K but your system will survive

When people start running mad in one direction walk slowly in the opposite, they will catch up with you.

Remember as hard as you are suffering Feedlots will suffer 2-3 times the pain. Ireland is not a feedlot country.

Remember as well 12% of world calories come out of the Ukraine and Russia. 20% of the world's grain. As Marie Antoinette said ''let them eat cake''.

There is only one way food prices are going. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg yet.

Forward stores will be well priced from now on. It's the lighter cattle that will struggle.

Slava Ukrainii

Yes on a value basis 850 is plenty for them much better value in the market out there.

I gave him an analysis, what he would pay and what they are worth in reality.

I gave him the price and the value.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most of my cattle for this year are going to be ready in July, do you think that value would still be there then.

Obviously just your gut feel about on it. Fair bit of softening in certain cattle prices the last week.

I'm viewing this year as over and planning for next year.

The Suckler cow is an anomaly. They never existed on good land before milk quota's. While there was subsidies ya grand you got 250 for the cow and there was 530 on the bull calf.

The costs of keeping a cow is horrendous. It's funny you be better off collecting the black and white FRX calves for nothing and carrying them to finish than having a suckker cow.

But if course ' I don't like the look of them''so basically I am looking for some one to pay for my hobby

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I be trying to pick as many as I could carry if they soften further in April/ May. The animal that can be finished in 90-100 day will be cost of feeding+margin less than that. It all depends on whether there is sh!t stains still on lads jocks.

Confidence may return. It amazing the way lads that are lower stocked are panicked. The amount that a lot of there lads spread is minimal.

If you can get granlime for 140-160/ ton it's will give you 12 units of N on old pasture@50kgs/ acre and there will e P&K released as well

But.. but.. but.. but.. granlime is dear compared to groundline. If I had old pasture I be spreading a nag/ acre.

But.. but.. but if my aunt has b@lls she be my uncle

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭older by the day

From my point of view, I think lightening off stock this year is sensible. I can always buy a few weanling heifers in October if I feel a bit underworked for the winter. The profit on a dry heifer between a year and eighteen months was less than two hundred and that was when fertilizer was 350 a ton. You mentioned spreading urea . That's sold out down here. And most are holding it for silage to save some money. I hope you are right that there is big money to made.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Bought cut award @1000 / ton

And gramlime @ 230/ton

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Nothing left local

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Has gran lime any N, P or K in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

No. But it can help to release locked up nutrients in the soil but still is not a direct replacement for the bag of fertilizer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Exactly, gran lime isn't a long term replacement but for lads needing a nitrogen boost this year it may help drive things this year.

can you let us know where to pick up the granlime at €140 a ton……. Probably be able to pick up CAN at €200 in the same place.

Bought none this year going off last year's prices. Would not have expected it to rise as far as some quoted here.

Paid 140/ton last year in a Dairygold store as part of a 10ish fertlizer purchase. Kerry group store quoted 160 for old stock this year.

Generally I buy two ton every second year for a a small bit I have around the house where the PH is low (6-7 acres).

I buy very little CAN even before this year it was over priced. My orders this year was 4.5T Urea (900 ish/ton), 1.5T protected Urea (960/ ton), 4T 18-6-12 750/ ton.

The PUrea replaced my 2T of CAN that I used to buy previously. I was pricing the gran line for another job that may or may not happen.

I have been buying Gran line for 20+ years now. 140 was the most I paid for it 5+ years ago it was 125/ ton.

Dairygold has always been the cheapest for it locally. If I remember I will ring Monday morning to see what price they are at present.

There is another granlime call G-lime that may be available around the place it's the same product.

There is another product called Growmax. It's used to be around 200/ ton but it has a TNV of 160 ( compared to 93 fir granular and 35 for ground limestone) it's a hydrated granular lime. However you need to wash everything down after and you need rain to wash it in with 24 hours.

Slava Ukrainii

BS. No point in quoting prices over last 5 years. It’s this year that matters.

anyways if PH is correct then shaking granlime wont give 1% of N never mind your 12% so advising someone to just go ahead and shake GL without soil sampling first is not very helpful.

• Advertisement

Noticed at a few of the Suckler dispersal sales some of the prices for springers was ridiculous low. Some as low as €800. Weanlen sales aren't great either, anything that would need another winter is a poor seller. I also seen lovely Limousine and Charolais Weanlens 200 -250kg struggling to make €650.

I think the whole fertilizer situation has rattled a lot of lads who are now as good as throwing away certain stock.

I dread to think what’ll happen if we get a bad summer. It would transcend into real crisis situation.

hopefully the summer will be good and take a bit a pressure off. I was talking to two suckler men over the past week. Both would have over 100 acres, one full time, one part time. Neither have a bit of fert bought. Both highly stocked

I recall my father talking about some time back in the 70’s and calves couldn’t be given away. If you had a trailer parked outside the pub, you could have a few calves in it when you came out.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about anything I post. If you bothered reading the post you might understand.

This is what I posted

''it's will give you 12 units of N on old pasture@50kgs/ acre and there will e P&K released as well''

Very few lads with old pasture are liming them. And it not 1% of N it's a units which is half a kg.

Using granlime this year on low PH old pastures is one of the most effective things you can do. You will get more bang for you book with your fertlizer but it will also realease about 12 units N as I posted. With the price of fertlizer if the granlime releases 12 units it's the equivalent of 400 euro with CAN @900/ ton and 385 with Urea@ 1100/ ton. That is before you factor in an any extra P&K it releases. Add in the extra value it will add to any other fertlizer you spread

The Granlime price I got was in January. I know it was old stock but that product should not increase in price by 40% even with the rise in Gas and fuel prices I would have taught.

So I am very sorry for giving a bit of helpful advice to lads that I did not technically fully clarify .

In future maybe I should you all my posts before posting them for to make sure they are technically right and ok by you

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

I agree eny and it will get worse unless lads are will to adapt. Most of these lads are only spreading 50 kg/ 18-6-12acre on grazing ground.

What is worse is we are getting an early spring. Measure the soil temp on a couple of paddocks last Wednesday and it was 11C, that is 4-5C ahead of last year. Ground temperature must be up another degree by today.

At that rate grass will start to really grow in the next week. For a lot of lads this means that they may have more grass in a week to ten days than they did mid April last year even after spreading fertlizer.

Slava Ukrainii

I said that about the grass growth already, how I thought it was flying already but got shot down by the Calendar farmers. A lot of beef farmers were never fertilizing that heavy and were no where near what the dairy industry uses. I have a feeling that on good fattening land they'll grow just as much grass this year as any. This panic selling is only going to make some lads a fortune at the expense of others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭older by the day

I love the way bass reeves and yourself think that we all have the same land type. There is a big difference in what an acre of good land and an acre of bad land will grow. The profit in dry cattle is low even in a good year and lads don't mind slackening off a few so if **** hits the fan they won't be over stocked. On poor land type a bag of lime or half a bag of urea would grow F all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The full Montys for anyone that's interested. Would they be of interested to suckler guys?

Annual Clearance of Montbeliarde Milking Heifers Carnew Mart 14th April for sale in Wexford for €1 on DoneDeal

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not really Patsy. I have some of them milking here and they have a good calf every year but not in the running with suckler bred stock.

Advertisement