Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That try started with us demolishing their scrum, we didn't even need the penalty because we ran it in from 70 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Finsally, lovely finish by Hawkshaw. Great burst by Ruddock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

What a break by Ruddock, dragging this team towards the line himself and a good finish by Hawkshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Delighted for Hawkshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jaysus.

Took 50 minutes for us to cut out the errors. Thank Christ for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And there's another one.

Clegg gutted.

Luke, all is forgiven ha

Luke really needed that score after a poor performance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hawkshaw and McGrath both having games with moments either end of the scale.

Not at all. I want us to win and perform well.

But I don't want us to play poorly and for people to be happy to ignore the obvious decline we're seeing around the pitch.

• Advertisement

Would like go see Osborne and Lowe playing in the same 15.

Both time their running lines very well and are strong in contact. But really I just want to see them leather the ball 60m down the pitch at every opportunity. Both have cannons for feet.

Eh can we keep Hawkshaw...

Who's the next Leinster out-half after the Byrnes with Hawkshaw gone next year? Frawley hasn't started at 10 for over two years now so whilst he could stand in, its not ideal. We seem a bit light with Johnny featuring less and Harrys injury profile.

No out halves listed on Leinsters Academy page.

Jaysus.

The Connacht knock on and Porch slip. They're killing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lads, did we sign Martin Maloney? I believe he's a 3rd year and done with the academy?

That. Is. Shocking.

What a lovely kick and finish by Frawley. Hawkshaw showing what a player he could be now that he is leaving. He will be good for Connacht

Frawley is pretty good at this rugby lark.

Why did Leinster stop playing Frawley at 10 ? He's quality

It's the first time (that comes to mind) that I've ever seen him stand out for Leinster and it's against a tired 14 man Connacht. I wish him well but he's had more poor to average games than good ones in blue. My only concern with him leaving is who's behind him.

• Advertisement

I would agree with all of this. Hopefully he is able to push on and hopefully opens space for others in Leinster.

We'll miss the players who are leaving for Connacht and Exeter. But I think we've made a bet on the talent coming through the academy and the recent graduates, that they'll eventually be better than those who are leaving.

I like Josh Murphy, but I think Joe McCarthy has already shown the goods to be a very good player. ROL is also very good, but has already fallen behind Ringrose and Osborne at 13 and Henshaw and Frawley at 12. Dooley is a loss, but the Ireland u20 loosehead Jack Boyle looks the goods. Adam Byrne is a massive unit and I think could've been a great asset for Leinster had he been fit. But TOB has come through very well and has the ball playing skills that I think Byrne has always lacked.

That’s a great line and running from Tommy O’Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You've exaggerated the whole thing.

Let's just admit it and we'll all carry on.

It's very, very hard for a squad of 50+ to show up with 80 minutes of excellence, week in, week out. There are 15 other players on the field after all.

But all we ever need is to tweak a few points of emphasis, in any match, against any team, and we'll always win.

It's not a Leinster decline, its greater investment and quality from other teams in the League. The bad news for them is, it won't make any difference.

Cosgrave cost TOB a hattrick there.

Can't agree with this. Our losses to Ulster and Cardiff this season showed definite frailties at the ruck and with how we deal with opposition kicking tactics. The ruck issue has been evident for a few seasons and the kicking and positioning issues are new. But in all of those games, and in this one for the first 50 minutes, we've seen us also being incredibly loose in how we play.

Hugh Cahill has a huge grá for insisting that every Leinster player who isn't first choice needs to leave immediately. Spent at least 5 minutes throughout the game taking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Loose is the way we play. Its how we win.

Yeah you will loose a few set pieces, maybe a bit of platform for spells by under-resourcing the odd ruck, but when our running and offloading game is that good, who cares?

It's how Ireland win, its how New Zealand win and I daresay Leinster taught them both a thing or two.

Yes, there are some errors, but they absolutely do not amount to a decline, that's just nonsense talk. We're still beating all round us and come the knockouts of both and looking around the other NH leagues, I'd back us for the double any day.

RTE coverage ending with Foo Fighters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He must post here so, we’ve a couple here do the same.

Advertisement