Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's not surprising given his heart issues. I'm glad he has the sense to see it though - I lost my own father to a massive heart attack just before Christmas there, we had been trying to get him to slow down and take it easier for years (he never listened of course) and unfortunately it just all caught up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Very sorry to hear that Necro.

Given what's been released so far from the interview him retiring is the least of it. Very glad they caught him in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,084 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry on your loss @Necro

Health comes first and he has had a great career, thank you HHH / Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

One of the greatest heels ever, in my opinion. His early late 90s/early 2000s run with Foley/Jericho/Rock was fantastic.

I remember at the time being in a weird spot where I was young enough to still have some innocence about it all but old enough to know it was all fake but when he retired Foley in HIAC at No Way Out I couldn't believe it. He was the world's biggest bastard in my eyes after that. (Sure Foley was back a few weeks later, of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Triple H interview with Stephen A. Smith from earlier.

I've never hated (in a heel way) a wrestler as much as HHH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,548 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's great to see Triple H is back feeling better and fair play to him for making the decision to retire, some people are just stubborn and cannot take their foot of the pedal when they also had health scares

I do feel sorry for what has happened to his NXT, I can only imagine in the back of his mind that he must be gutted but with his health scare, I don't think he's any condition to manage it any more and Vince only see's it as development now

Enjoyed that up until about the 10 minute mark, x'd out of the tab then.

Classic case of "let's us dig a bit deep and then return a softball."

Glad to hear HHH is doing well and is (hopefully) taking his prognosis seriously.

I'd say depending what exact kind of ICD he's been fitted with, he'll be able to go about his usual day to day.

• Advertisement

He stayed away from all the pills the other kliq guys took but it looks like all the roids he took have taken there toil on his heart now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He talked about this being a genetic issue in the men of his family going back 4 or 5 generations, that basically every generation dies of heart disease/heart failure, most of them around 52 (he's 52 himself).

Tell me you spectacularly missed the point of Hunter announcing his retirement, without actually telling me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He has a complicated legacy imo but he's contributed to a lot of my favourite moments. I hated Triple H when he was at his worst, hogging the limelight in the way that he did from late 2002 on, and I would say he definitely abused his influence in several feuds. I stopped watching for about a 2 year period around '08 when I found his Super Hunter dominance too much to bear. On the other hand, he's been involved in one of my favourite ever matches (against HBK at Summerslam '02), and in maybe my favourite feud ever (with The Rock in 2000). I think there's a strong case to be made that he is the greatest heel of this century, just for that 2000-02 period alone when I would say he was at his peak. I saw him live in I think 2005 and went into the show not liking him, and yet when he made his entrance I got caught up in it I must admit. He definitely had that star power aura about him. I hope he has a healthy and happy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

The greatest heel in the history of modern wrestling bar Vince Mcmahon and there is zero shame in that.

Sad to see him retire this way but great to keep a mind like him in the business. The guy is a winner and is one of the most driven guys in the industry.

I 100% agree with you. He definitely had his **** moments.

At the time I looked at it as just being 'a heel' but definitely not the 'Best for Business'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Then it should be said he shouldn't have taken the amount of steroids he did. I get the whole what are you willing to sacrifice to achieve goals. But if that's all true he really shouldn't have done what he did.

Do we actually know that he did? And particularly "the amount of steroids he did" as you say? He maintains the only time he's taken them is when medically prescribed to heal his quad in 2001.

I'm not sure that someone simply being jacked is exactly proof...

• Advertisement

Then let's reference professional wrestlers.

- Dynamite Kid said in his book without hitting the gas he could only hit just under 200 pounds. He said he could work out day and night and never bulk anything more. That everyone has a natural limit to the amount of muscle one can pile on - his own words.

- Scott Steiner, in a shoot interview, talked about his 2002 run and being piss tested. He said if you are gonna test me then test triple h in the same room. According to Steiner he never got tested again. Steiner admits to being on steroids.

- Many wrestlers throughout the years have tested positive for steroids and they only had a fraction of triple h's muscle..... said names include Orton, Ken kennedy etc.

Let's call a spade a spade Rebel. We all know the craic with Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Steiner was on roids? I never would've guessed...

Who are the biggest roid monkeys around today? Pac, Jinder, Brian Cage?

Drew looks ridiculous but he has looked like that for so long now that I'd almost believe he's clean. Same with Lashley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well there was the story about Scott Steiner being asked to take a drug test and he said that he’d take it if HHH did and if I remember correctly, it wasn’t pushed after that.

edit: I should’ve looked at a few posts above this one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was at an event in germany lately and the amount of ba-acne on show on otherwise fairly average looking wrestlers was amazing.

Since then I imagine almost everyone is on roids to some extent, not just the obvious ones, since it's not just about getting huge but also has muscle repair and training benefits.

Except Adam Cole

Isn’t that Steiner thing exactly the same time that HHH is totally open about taking medically prescribed steroids to help heal his quad though? HHH injured it in 2001, Steiner’s thing was right after in 2002.

I dunno, he may well have taken them loads, I’ve no idea. But it just doesn’t sit well that some posters make that leap, and then definitively lambast his choices in light of his heart issues. It just feels one deviation beyond what’s fair, as total outsiders of the situation here making assumptions, to be effectively saying it’s all his own fault. We just don’t know enough about the situation to be that damning imo.

I could not care less if the roid head is retired or not i never liked or rated him as a wrestler or a public persona

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,084 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WWE have named the greatest moments in #WrestleMania history. The top 5 are:

5: HBK winning the WWE Title at WrestleMania 12

4: Becky Lynch winning in the main event of WrestleMania 35

3: Hulk Hogan slams Andre

2: Seth Rollins cashes in

1: Brock Lesnar ends the streak

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Austin winning the title at WM14 was a bigger moment than HBK at WM12.

Advertisement