Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

What's going on with Jason Holder? Far better player than the dismissals in Barbados and the one here. Shots of a man that wants to be somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

I was thinking much the same about Holder, so much promise and talent but erratic and inconsistent.

At least Mayers is showing some fight, if the WI get anywhere near the England total, it will be a one innings shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mayers should have batted ahead of him anyway, way too good to be batting at 7, could be left with the tail if he stays in, probably should be at 5

Mayers threw it away there...

No worries about staying in anyway, shocking display considering they were 50/0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They gots the tail wagging a bit three wickets remaining and the possibility of eating into Englands lead… three wickets in hand so any advantage if any will be nominal you’d imagine for both sides…interesting stuff..

Decent partnership that between Joseph and Da Silva. I like the look of Da Silva, hadn't seen or heard much of him before this series.

Yes the tail is certainly wagging

England batsmen will be under some pressure now…. England had taken the crease with 30/40 runs ahead like they could have that would have been a seriously valuable head start.

Looks like weather will play no further part so I’d imagine a result is probable.

In the context of the collapse of the top order this is a good performance by these two particularly Da Silva, lead is insignificant at this stage but if it got to 50, that could be telling.

Roach isn’t a batsman, his average a shade over 11… just scored 21 from 66 here now though, not in much peril…29.65 the average for Da Silva and he’s scored 54…good efforts.

• Advertisement

I’ve absolutely nothing to do today but relax and enjoy sport in particular this cricket. The views from above around Grenada are stunning.. beautiful, might have to add that to the list.

West Indies have a useful lead now and as I type, 41 ahead… Mahmood who looked good this afternoon, gets Roach.

England suffer from having no reviews left… lbw shout was good but umpire not convinced

Michael Vaughan “ England bowlers absolutely pathetic “

The graphics showing where they are bowling and it’s hard to argue.

Post edited by Strumms on

I didn't see the WI get this size of a lead at all. This will really put it up to England, I had them favourites. It would be great if Da Silva could get his century!

Yep, I had England just favourites, now West Indians are clearly.

Da Silva is making mince meat of this England attack, gets his century 100*…

this bowling is brainless, stupid as fûck….

95/6 to 297/9

Da Silva walks following an appeal for a nick and caught behind… no nick on DRS and a gap between bat and ball, weird….

Brilliant caught and bowled by Root, ball was smashed back over his shoulder but he grasps it.

England will be disappointed they allowed the WI number 8 to score a hundred..he averages 27.

Vaughan now slating Roots captaincy in the studio. He’s exasperated.

Da Silva given out, they all walk off, he thought he was out, not out! Overton then throws the ball at Da Silva in frustration.

All this after he had smashed Overton for consecutive boundaries to get his century!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Root only captain cause nobody else bar stokes is guaranteed their place.

He’s a poor captain

Crawley gone! 14/1...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Embarrassing. The damage done in recent (and less recent) times to the England Test team will take years to fix.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

32/3

looks like England’s goose is cooked. Lees with a strike rate of 15.0 and averages 16 in his 4 test innings…. Needs a score… 40 deliveries for 6 runs…. Doesn’t suggest a guy confident in the international headlights so far.

This is embarrassing for England.....they need some really decent partnerships from here to make any dort of a game of it.

41/4… bad to brutal.

he has a couple of gigantic FC scores Lees but blessed not to be following Stokes back, almost chopped on….62 deliveries for 11 runs..

275 is his top score in FC cricket but he only averages 34.5….

not a single wicket would or could you put down to a good ball… absolutely dreadful batting only.

• Advertisement

England collapsing again, just poor batting… rank bad shots… -10/6 effectively

West Indies to lose now.

now Foakes gets run out by a country mile.. woeful…when did hitting it down to fine leg ever give two runs… replays show Foalks himself called it ffs.

Just when England were trying to build an inning, first Bairstow and then Folkes...Miles out!!! England 6 down and still 10 behind.

Don't think Lees could do anything about that..England in the mire here.

5 for Mayers! Hard to believe what's happening not withstanding England's recent collapses. This is worse than Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I said this when the pushed or be shoved moment happened to Cook when he was captain.

You judge a cricket captain on their field settings, toss decisions, bowling changes, a bit on player selections, declarations. Cook was woefully bad at declarations, he cost them a match in the India series that led to him being pushed but otherwise be was an ok captain. Not great but ok.

Roots field settings, toss decisions, bowling changes, selections (or non selections) and declarations, they are all terrible. He is bad at captaining a cricket team.

His fields are always picked apart, especially the slips. Toss decisions have always been conservative. He had been selecting his mates for years (don't get me started on Broad & Anderson), and he's always too safe with declarations because he's is afraid of losing matches to save his captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Surely Root will go now as they can't stand back and say red ball reset without changing the captain which is the face of any regime change.

England simply can't deal with those medium-fast bowlers with a little bit of wobble in Boland and Mayers. Extraordinary ineptitude from them but fair play to the West Indies, they have been by far the better side. Sad that the crowds are gone in the West Indies in Test Cricket.

The crowds are down but the interest is not, they were making the point during the Antigua test that it is harder to get to the Sir Viv stadium in North Sound, as opposed to the recreation ground which is right in the middle of St Johns, during the World Cup in 2007, the ICC overcharged for tickets and brought in a lot of petty regulations, one of my favourite stories was that when Ireland beat Pakistan and Bangladesh beat India, all the tickets were pre sold as a meeting of Pakistan and India on a Sunday in Barbados, but it ended up where no one turned up and TV revenue was way down because the seeding didn’t go to plan and Ireland beat Bangladesh in front of a few people and a few dogs

absolutely every facet of Roots test captaincy is a disaster.

Fûck all catchers, pressure and support for his pace men.

yet Leach has three close catchers and Foakes … on a pitch that is indifferent as to spin.

of the 28 wickets to have fallen in this test, Joe Roots caught and bowled is the single wicket taken by a spinner.

yet he’s enabled 22.3 overs by my rough maths to be bowled by both Leach and his 1.3 over cameo…

hot and hard work for bowlers in 30 degree weather but pick another seamer. Hard with Wood on the sidelines but Pope anybody…

• Advertisement

Surely Root won’t brazen this out. Some poor selection decisions all round. Whether broad and Anderson are the answer, maybe not, but Woakes/Overton certainly aren’t. Robinson has a bit when fit, and maybe Mahmood, but it’s all so samey samey. Even when Da Silva was building the lead, he took ages to bowl himself, never bowled Lawrence. Why not try something different?

And batting. Ha! Crawley will make a career I think out of 1 good innings in maybe 5. Aesthetically pleasing but rubbish defence. They’ve apparently looked over Foakes for so long too but by this tour they haven’t missed much. Lawrence has potential but no higher than 5. Bairstow again has the talent, but not the mindset. Like a child getting out after being sledged fairly tamely by JDS.

I think they will eventually ruin Stokes with the captaincy too. He’ll be playing all 3 formats, batting and bowling in them, and will hit the wall.

Advertisement