Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

What exactly should I ask the dealer in relation to this status so that I can know that I’ve at least got a production slot in March that they told me? (And they weren’t just lying to me and hoping they get more slots at some stage this year)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

the orders progress by status codes. The important ones are 111 (this means the order has been accepted by the plant in Munich, the order stays at this status for quite a while), then it moves to 112 (order has been assigned a production date, again a few weeks. I think mine was at 112 for 10 weeks), after that it moves to status 150 which is production has started. Takes about 10-14 days to complete production after that.

If you’re familiar with SAP in your day job that’s the system they use for the orders. Those status codes are there & easy to see, shouldn’t take more than five minutes for the sales rep to login & look up your order. As the order progresses the status number gets higher but not always in sequence (150 being the next number on from 112 for example). I’d be concerned if you’re not at least at 111. If you’re at 112 the sales rep will be able to see the week of assigned production on the same page as the status code.

If you just ask for the status code. Piss them off enough they might even send you a screenshot :)

Nice one, thanks for that. Emailed sales guy there now!

I’d imagine if what he was saying about them having a free production slot in March was true then my order would surely have status code of 111 at this stage based on what you said? Regardless of delays due to Ukraine/Chips.

I originally went to joe Duffy and was told wouldn’t get one this year, they had sold all there’s for the year and didn’t want to be lying to me.

Went to Conlons Naas and they said they had a few slots left for year, gave me March production slot and put order in.

Have emailed them again now to see if they bluffing, have asked for status code of my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Considering it could be 2 years it’s not really a stopgap, I dunno what to do in all honesty, exploring other avenues to get an i4 while also looking at a 545e and also making enquiries on an x5 45e.

On one hand I want to be disciplined and keep the car I have as it’s an awesome spec and is as much of a car as I really need, on the other I’m watching reviews of Taycans and Etron GTs afraid to go to a dealer for a test drive in case I put down a deposit for one.

Trying to do nothing is definitely my best option, but there is always an itch to scratch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say if you got that testdrive of a Taycan and your deposit down, you won't be back buying a new BMW for quite some time to come or if ever 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I was at Colm Quinns in Athlone yesterday picking up my wife's 2 Series Gran Coupe and had arranged a test drive in the i4.

It was the i4 40 m-sport with the m-sport pro pack included and was in Brooklyn Grey with a black leather interior.

It is the exact spec that I would order if I was going for one. I didn't think that the pro-pack was required but it adds a few cosmetic bits that really set off the car. Got a decent test drive (~20 mins). Interior is lovely. Quality feels really good. The power delivery is incredible. I have driven an Ionic 5 and a Leaf before (but not a Tesla - so can't compare there). The i4 is on a different level completely. I was sitting in the drivers seat so the fact that there was a transmission tunnel didn't bother me in the slightest! I did sit in the back. I am 6'2" and it was tight for headroom and also tight for leg room with the driver seat positioned for me. I did also notice the slightly elevated leg/knee position in the back. Boot is a good size and the position of the lift-pistons gives a great opening space in the boot.

The fake sound on acceleration is a novelty factor but I could imagine myself turning that down/off after a few days of ownership.

As already pointed out, the bad news is that if you have not already ordered one then you have missed the boat for 2022 and perhaps into Q2/3 2023..

Impressive car, impressive drive. I would happily live with one... I would think that there is little to challenge it at the current price point at the moment. Will have to wait and see what price point the EQE arrives in Ireland at...

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

"The fake sound on acceleration is a novelty factor but I could imagine myself turning that down/off after a few days of ownership."

You would be surprised. When you are in the car on your own and push on that feedback of accelerating and braking is very useful and engaging. Give you an impression of how fast you are accelerating or decelerating that a tesla doesnt and takes that guesswork out of it where you think "how fast am I going into this corner". I have a similar sound in my EV and I turn it on all the time. Its also kinda cool. Defo on the motorway I turn it off cause its pointless....but better looking at it than for it.

Collection tomorrow. In need of a good scrub first!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Best of luck with it, it looks like its levatating off the ground.

• Advertisement

Some Sahara dust thrown in free of charge! 😂

Gave the A6 a full detail over last two days as was covered in it too.

Dealer got back to me and said my I4 was at status 112 but was taking out due to Ukraine so he’ll get back to next week with another update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

It's amazing how tastes change so quickly. Prior to EVs, one of the major attraction of sport cars was the roar of a decent engine on acceleration, now its considered tedious and superfluous. Ah well time waits for no (hu)man or car!

I like these guys, they review well and really like the car. I like this colour on their review model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Dealer has now confirmed mine is status 111, due for build in June and delivery July. Another 4 months to wait so ... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

It’ll be worth the wait - collected mine just after lunchtime, didn’t get to drive it on any twisty backroads, just a bit of city driving, and a few brief dual carriageway runs. The acceleration is just mental, so much so that you really have to restrain yourself with your right foot. Genuinely gobsmacked at the straight line speed. Doesn’t feel as heavy as it is either, even when braking from speed. I quite like the artificial sound aswell, it’s not as intrusive as it comes across on YouTube videos.

Post edited by UhOh on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Does the i4 have adaptive cruise as standard or is that in one of the option packs??

the adaptive cruise control is part of the driving assistant professional in the Tech. Plus Pack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Looking at the configurator now , it appears you can add it later through the BMW connected app. Same as high beam assist. Presumably the car has all the hardware already installed.

It's pathetic that it's an optional extra on a €70k car. I bought a budget €25k Hyundai 5 years ago that had it as standard. Plus a whole load of other features that are either an optional extra on the BMW or not even available.

• Advertisement

it’s not a feature I’m that fussed about to be honest. It’s the killer about these option ‘packs’, rather than having the ability to spec the options separately. That said, the Tech Plus Pack on the i4 is a hell of a lot cheaper than it is on some of the ICE BMWs. I think it’s near €9k on the 5 series.

I guess the overwhelming majority of buyers of the i4 are first time EV owners. To whom all EV stuff looks great (all that powah yeah much better than my 4 pot diesel) although most of it is quite dated. If you are coming from many years of EV (Tesla) ownership already, the only thing appealing here is the BMW driving joy.

I really must take one for a spin soon, unfortunately my online booking of a test drive about 2-3 weeks ago seems to have led nowhere. BMW is my favourite make of all time, the real test for me personally is if I can live with an overly expensive but great driving car that is a good 5-10 years behind in experience / convenience tech.

LoL...but Unk you are in for a fright when you test newer ev's. The tesla experiance and tech features of a Tesla have been matches and surpassed by many of the new EV's. That same comment about first time EV owners can be said for long time Tesla owners too. But no the I4 does not have a whoopee cushion. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Would love to know in what area that Tesla is 10 years ahead in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

“Shock as Tesla driver craps all over another drivers new ev experience”

If the current M3 competition are this good, just imagine how the m3 will stack up to the competition in 4 years time when it’s a 10 year old design (announced March 2016), and being sold as a new model with a bunch of incremental upgrades, just like the dead MS. There’s no chance that tesla will have a replacement m3 before then and the industry is closing and overtaking at a massive pace.

this i4 is a game changer of a model for bmw, and bmw buyers.

as I don’t need the top end of current EV ranges, my €65k would go on the i4 40 mSport versus the M3 LR. Personal choice of course, but the tesla market share here in Ireland would suggest there’s a lot of people with €50k to spend not buying the base M3, which (until the recent price increase) I’ve argued is the best value EV on the market - the MIC one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does that mean the i4 is already 2 years old as it was announced in early 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Nothing, we had one, the bumper falling off it and many other issues, give me a BMW any day.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

@sk8board - "this i4 is a game changer of a model for bmw, and bmw buyers"

Indeed, that was my point exactly. Not sure how you conclude from there that I am crapping all over the i4? Au contraire, the i4 could very well be my next car. If I can give up on the superb Tesla experience, the supercharging network, the insane acceleration that I use every day, even the always getting a better loaner car when the car is in service (which is often LOL), the google maps integration with perfect sat nav with huge screen real time traffic and most importantly the spot on range indication. The continuous updates that keep the car fresh (not everything is gimmicky like the whoopy cushion or NetFlix, indeed there is stuff like dog / camping mode), the car recognising a particular speed bump and increasing the ride height because you told it to do so before, the car being always on and all the advantages of that, absence of any keys / start buttons, perfect app with full worldwide control of the car, sentry mode from all the cameras all around the car, full self driving, huge storage with trunk and frunk, do I need to go on? And of course the massive kudos for singlehandly moving the world to emission free transport decades before it would otherwise have happened. In my 50+ years of being a petrol head I have never before seen 4 year old girls in the street pointing and shouting the make of the car before. Not even with Ferraris or Rolls-Royces. Why do you think that is?

I still miss my BMWs though and how they drive, would like to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

Any indication as to when the edrive35 variant will be launched?

• Advertisement

Have heard very little about a 35 variant. If there is to be one I’d imagine it’ll be well into next year before it arrives.

Advertisement