Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to know I won't be left hanging had forgot it was based on a podcast - I can't quite understand how it would be, but hey.

God knows what goes through the minds of Netflix's programming department; I can't imagine Archive 81 cost that much to produce, bar the scattering of FX and what I'll presume was fake VHS downsampling. As has been said the show seemed to review well - but maybe if these shows don't cause a splash on (social) media outlets it's a "failure"? Maybe it's something as simple that the production company couldn't agree a new contract with Netflix (I've heard they can be quite Draconian).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Taboo wraps up its storyline within the 1 season, and ends in a way that there could be more stories told with the same characters and setting in future if the Hardys want to. From a recent article I saw, it sounds like they are not yet committed to the storyline for a next season, and it seems more likely that if it does happen the sequel would be be a new story set in a different period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I thought Taboo was one of the best things I’ve watched in a long time, Tom Hardy is deadly in it and the whole series is brilliant with a great storyline and it really drags you down into the squalor of the time. Ended perfectly for a follow up and was very surprised they never made any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

Top Boy season 2 (or season 3 really) was top quality again. I feared it may have lost some gritty realism but was quickly relieved to be relying on subtitles again. Its a credit to the production that I can't tell who were professional actors before shooting this, except for the Irish witch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Quite enjoyed this, with a decent role for Jessie Buckley as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Kitchen (2019) - In 1978, a trio of mob wives steps up to run Hell's Kitchen. But violent forces inside and outside the Irish mafia threaten to wrest control away

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheTempest

It's actually season 4 I think? It's hard to tell since netflix/drake bought it and confused everyone with the season numbers. Excellent though.

Any good? Was thinking of watching this tonight.

Season 1 or 2? I binged season 2 this weekend, had been counting the days till its release.

Much less norty scenes this time around but very good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

2! I was waiting for it too. Im only on episode 2. I’m enjoying it

Its a great bit of escapism. It's definitely food for thought too. Imagine British history where there was no racism (would have been amazing) yet classism and sexism still existed. Its an odd but thought provoking mix, coupled with the contemporary hits played by a string quartet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It sounded promising from the description but only got 5.5 on IMDB so I didn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I like your analysis of it. It is pure escapism and after a day in this century it’s nice to linger in it! Then you remember, as you said, that sexism and classism exist in Bridgerton. The women can’t even run or walk properly in those corsets! They have to be composed and polite at all times. I think that would be a little too much for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really enjoyed The Lost Daughter.

Wasn't sure what to expect with mixed reviews, but I loved it + Olivia Coleman was outstanding.

I do think women will get the film more than men.

Thermae Romae Novae (2022) Season 1 (Japanese) - A proud bath architect in ancient Rome starts randomly surfacing in present-day Japan, where he's inspired by the many bathing innovations he finds..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Started to watch Drive to Survive. Great to get an insight to the Formula 1 world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Watched Stay Close last week - Harlan Coben adaptation with Jimmy Nesbitt. Incredible how this show got made - it's so bad I had to keep watching to see just how much worse it might get. And it never disappointed! Made no sense whatsoever, and required multiple ridiculous leaps of logic. It's genuinely baffling how anyone looked at that script, and thought 'yeah, this works'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Boiling Point was pretty great, from the description I thought it would only be OK but it was really enjoyable. Thought Top Boy was a little bit disappointing compared to the previous season, still worth watching though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The wife and myself were both scratching our heads at the end. It was an equal opportunities mystifier imo.

• Advertisement

This goes 180degrees against the title of the thread.....but one to AVOID....." the kitchen" with Melissa Mc Carthy.....truly awful....a career LOW for all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow if you thought Uncut Gems was stressful to watch it's kid stuff compared to Boiling Point.

What a brilliant film, director has done a great job at keeping it so tense throughout, anything with Graham peaks my interest but he's top of his game here. Chef Carly is the real gem of this film though.

Why oh why would you want to work in a kitchen. Chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I quite enjoyed The Kitchen. the reference to Trump was quite funny.

Johnny Hallyday: Beyond Rock (2022) Season 1 (French) - Johnny Hallyday in his own words. This intimate docuseries explores the life and career of France's rock icon through archival film and interview

Mike Epps: Indiana Mike (2022) - Mike Epps returns to his native Indianapolis and reflects on his days as a bad baller and worse drug dealer, as well as fond memories of his parents.

Mighty Express (2021) Season 6 - Catch a ride with the Mighty Express -- a team of trains and their kid friends who overcome trouble on the tracks with quick thinking and teamwork!

Added

Boiling point is absolutely excellent. I'm sure my cortisol levels increased dramatically just by watching though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I definitely couldn't watch it again. I'm pretty sure that's a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Completely agree on top boy. I liked it but it was the worst of all seasons of it including the initial C4 seasons. Too much focus on the drug sourcing and not enough gritty London gang violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed Boiling Point up until the end where it felt like (if you'll pardon the pun) they just completely ran out of steam and didn't know how to end it. It was obvious what was going to happen from the get go but I was hoping some of the other elementa introduced would play a part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d agree with that, I don’t think they really know how to end it so they kinda… just do? It’s a solid film for sure although personally don’t think it’s quite a match for the sustained and uncomfortable tension of Uncut Gems :)

• Advertisement

For me it was a very deliberate cutting and incisive ending. We see the glamour of chefs on tv all the time, but we don't see ugliness nearly as often. In the industry there is a lot of ugliness, and the way the film ended was a commentary on the reality of that life. Perhaps some dramatic effect, but it rang true for me knowing a lot of these guys.

Advertisement