Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This should be a good match! I think it will be close. Delighted to see Frawley back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Be interesting to see how Dooley goes

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

LOL will ya stop. ROG is trying to help the munster 10s out by cutting down Carty. Problem in Ireland is provincial bias media hurts the Irish team. No one blamed Sexton for all his mistakes when Ireland got hammered by NZ in the World cup.

Will ROG blame West instead of himself because they got beat by 30 points last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Cant see Connacht having much of a chance. The only hope Connacht have is if the 3 new signings decide its better to lose and have a chance of playing in Europe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I have 1 ticket for the enclosure and 1 for the main stand available. Either available for a €30 donation to the Unicef or Red Cross Ukraine charity appeals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

I jus set up a account a couple days ago. I think I have only made 1 rugby post so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be looking at red for Daly.

Shoulder to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That was incredibly stupid from Daly. Game over.

Daly has been a shadow of himself since his last injury

Positive last 15 minutes there. Fantastic pass to TOH from Carty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Conor Oliver, cian prendergast. Sadly not much more positives to be drawn. Lazy from Tom Daly. Other issues are clear and obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hard lines today lads. I thought ye showed a lot of grit for the first 50 minutes and made life miserable for Leinster.

But Carty had an appalling game today. His kicking from hand was so poor and his passing was iffy too. Great identification for the overlap for your try. But his level is so up and down that he can be a huge hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

I actually thought Jack had a decent game overall bar the early missed touch and his conversion.

Anything good we did in attack came off good passing from him.

Really and truly once we went down to 14 that game was only going one way. Did well to stick in there for 50 mins to be honest. Terrible from Daly really no excuse. Thought ultan was very poor when he came on too.

Also to mention Dooley, if he has signed to walk in as first choice LH based on tonight often against a 7 man scrum I think he might be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

One big positive for Connacht tonight is Hawkshaw

I'd have the say lads we're in a very bad place. I know Daly put us on the backfoot after 2 minutes but this season has been an absolute shitshow. We've shipped 100+ over 2 games.

One win at home over Stade Francais is just about giving Friend and Co an ace in their sleeve but realistically we should've won 3/4 of those Heineken Cup games.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

The last 20 mins shows that despite being harsh Rog is correct in his views on Carty at the moment

Albeit Connacht were down a man, the last 20 minutes Connacht lacked any leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Aside from the obvious Daly red there were a number of not great performances which were disappointing; Heffernan was OK but a couple of loose darts at key times (second not straight one was very harsh), Mcnulty poor- needs to hold that pass when he has the overlap, Kilgannon not much better when he comes on- couple of very poor missed tackles, Carty needs to stop missing touch from penalties....it's killing us- that goes to touch and Daly is still on the pitch. Dillane had a really awful performance off the bench, hope that was just a bad day not him phoning it in as he's leaving.

On the upside Hawkshaw looked a baller,thought Butler had a good game and some of our forwards really fronted up before tiring badly.....said that before even when we've had 15 men so wonder if fitness is an issue.

Could be a rough couple of games coming up against Leinster, could be looking at another pair of hidings 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Poor to ship so many points again but 77 minutes with 14 men was a tough ask. Burke did well and I'd have him 1st choice LH. Dillane has been very poor this season. Prendergast was decent too along with Butler. Leadership is an issue.

Hawkshaw looks good and Murphy looked enormous compared to the connacht forwards when he came on. Dooley didn't impress but his mind could already be in the sportsground.

Tough ask to get anything from the next 2 games v Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

TOH must be pissed he is not getting a contract, his try costing mistakes just seem too obvious. Its clear why Kieran Keane had issues with his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Was at the match so would need to watch back to get a better understanding but thought the first 50 minutes were very impressive for Connacht considering the red.

100% was a red, Daly will be out for the two European matches.

Hawkshaw will easily jump past fitz if he plays like that regularly, was worried about what position he could fit in at senior level but looked very impressive.

very much looks like that’s the season over now and challenge cup rugby on the cards next year. In patches this year Connacht have played some of the best rugby in the league but it’s never consistent. A run in the challenge cup could be a great opportunity for a very young squad next season but you would want to be seriously challenging for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

A good run in the challenge cup Vs possible batterings in the champions would be way better at gelling the team together.

From a slightly red biased neutral I really like the way Connacht are trying to play it's some of the slickest rugby in the country and the new additions next year should build on this tbh.

The gaping hole for me is at full back TOH imo just hasn't got it anymore and a new replacement or adjustment of positions is needed. Would there be a case for moving Porch to FB allowing next season Hansen Wooton Byrne filling the wings.

The thing is I can see Connacht doing Damage to Leinster in the upcoming fixture with 15 men at full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Well you’re bringing in two right wingers in Byrne and ralston, I’d assume porch will be first choice 15 next season. Think porches best position is 15. Had a lot of high hopes for mcnulty at 15 but he had another disappointing games yesterday. That’s a few in a row now, needs to start taking these chances.

Challenge cup next season could be a great opportunity for the likes of darragh Murray, McCormack, Devine, Reilly, hawkshaw, forde and jennings to develop into serious options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I can't see Connacht getting near Leinster in the European games. Leinster sent out a message in the 2nd half yesterday and learned a lot. Just go through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

We are trying to play a brand of rugby that looks beyond us imo. High pace attack is lovely to look at but when the end product is scrum to the opposition who have a dominant scrum then its a bit futile.

We were game but the outcome was never in the balance after half time.

We're atrocious at the moment.

Lots of the players need to take a look at themselves.

Heffernan has really gone backwards this season

Marmion started the season on fire, but his levels have dropped since then

Carty is infuriating. So capable well on form, but not on form at the moment, and thoroughly inconsistent.

O'Halloran - thanks good luck. Would be nice to see you pass the ball one more time before you finish. See if you can still do it

Then you have players like Dowling and Butler who are playing ok, but need to be looking to improve

I'd use the last 6 games of the season to try young fellas who are signed up for the next few seasons.

Give McNulty more game time. Give Carty a break. Get Devine in for some starts. Start Tierney Martin at hooker.

Use the end of the season as an opportunity for these lads to gain experience

Dillane, I'll miss him loads, but what benefit is there to us, if he plays again this season.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hawkshaw looked like something else in that game, he'll be a great addition.

Peter Dooley and Adam Byrne will be good additions too.

I've seen Ralston play a couple of times for the Force in Super Rugby and he looks decent.

I think Friend is a poor coach, tbh. He's probably only there due to his friendship with Nucifora.

I'd be looking to bring in someone new. Maybe someone like Payne at Ulster, or McNamara. They couldn't be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

In fairness a lot of the coaching is done by Pete Wilkins as opposed to Friend. Friend puts a lot of trust in his coaches and lets them get on with things

I think Wilkins was lucky to be kept on last year as at times the defnce under his coaching left a lot to be desired although it's not much better at the minute.

Whoever it is, needs a pink slip. Connacht are either great or shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If that were really true he'd have gotten the Ulster job ahead of McFarland which he went for months before the Connacht gig.

Advertisement