Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It's a mainstream government department.

I can tell you one of the people that left had a technical background and he felt his qualifications weren't be used appropriately so he left for a company that wanted someone with his particular skillset. (I think he would have left anyway, eventually).

Two of the admins grades - one had bought a house down the country during covid and wasn't prepared to commute two days a week to Dublin. In fairness, they were open about it, and from the start said if they were required to return to the office any more than once or twice a month they'd leave, and they were good to their word. The other was on a contract and declined an extension as they said they needed a job that paid more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

We're supposed to go back 3 days, but that's not going to happen.

The absorbing the work situation usually occurs in the private sector when a company thinks it has a monopoly or are killing off a product that they can no longer cash cow and they can afford the bad customer service experience and exposure.

I have seen your later posts and the reasons behind their leaving. I guess it is a balancing act between those whose roles can be done from home and those who need to be in front of a customer or in the case of the likes of Customs and Revenue out doing physical inspections and the fact that ye have the same level of pay based on grades regardless of the actual role itself.

Personally for the likes of Revenue if I can't get an answer through the site, I don't care if the person on the phone is at home or in an office. Quite often when people are in an office answering customer queries there is more background noise from their colleagues talking to other customers and each other than when they are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why do you say that.Is it because of the current wave?

• Advertisement

Staff just aren't prepared to do it, particularly in lieu of a policy.

Some people haven't gone back in at all yet, others only a day here or there, so not a chance of them coming in 3 days a week from next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The public service is in desperate need of a remote work policy plus competent leadership and management. It also needs to move away from "printing and posting" as much as possible. The pandemic forced changes that should have been implemented years ago but the pandemic didn't go on long enough for archaic work practices to be eliminated.

Lots of good people in the PS feel like mugs when they see their awkward and brazen colleagues not being tackled (about anything) by useless and disengaged management. This hammers morale and the end result is a toxic workplace with both customers and staff suffering.

Any big changes or innovations (e.g. remote work) increase the potential for toxicity. Awkward individuals thrive in times of change. Bad managers also do more damage than usual in times of change. The "solution" to these problems - don't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,036 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re printing and posting: the public service is a SERVICE - that includes to people who cannot read, or cannot access online services. And as the HSE hack showed, even online systems need to have fallback options for the times technology doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭thomasj

Dper is calling the shots on this one and the government departments can't make their own policies until dper signs off on it.

They are still in talks with unions and there were stumbling blocks over flexi although things seem to be moving again on the talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Augme

The last I heard was that the policy would be released by the end of March. Haven't heard anything since. Given the normal sub standard work that Forsa deliver I'm not expecting much from them.

At this rate I would be surprised if see the blended working policy this side of summer.

• Advertisement

Not reading posts again I see. I said that printing and posting should be reduced AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. For all you know I could have been referring to internal communications still done via memo and internal post because that's the way it has always been done and for no other reason.

The fallback options that the HSE had were a shambles. There were massive failings in ICT and the fact that they could revert to paper and fax machines in some cases was due to luck rather than a clever disaster recovery strategy.

@DubInMeath

I have seen your later posts and the reasons behind their leaving.

To clarify, the person who left over pay, said one of the main factors for them was renting costs in Dublin. If they could have remote worked, then they could have rented anywhere, but working 2/3 days a week from the office meant renting in or close to Dublin.

A lot of the more junior grades (and single people) who moved outside of Dublin during the pandemic are reporting the same back to the Lead Worker Reps. There is a lot of anger and frustration about having to return to Dublin offices and a lot saying they cannot find suitable / affordable accommodation.

Will this potential exodus be dismissed or even lauded by senior management as "natural wastage". I worked in the PS for many years and since the financial crisis/FG being in power, this so called wastage (an inappropriate way to refer to staff IMO) has been regarded as a good thing. Senior people clueless or not caring about what staff actually do and how resignations will affect services. Dinosaurs who are only a few years from their pension who will get it regardless of services being run down. Staff run off their feet and when yet another resignation happens, they are told in a blase manner that they'll "just" have to absorb that person's workload.

Well, thats what happened after the clusterfcuk that was decentralisation, so I'm not expecting anything very different this time. We just trained up new staff (as we got them) and got on with it as best we could. I'm expecting to see a huge jump in numbers applying for mobility.

As an aside, being senior does not automatically make someone clueless or uncaring about younger, less senior staff. And dinosaurs (like myself) are equally run off our feet, don't forget (and have been working our asses off in the most challenging times for the last two years).

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

This is ludicrous. Two years ago the Civil Service was plunged into a working from home scenario. No preparation, no training, no ergodynamic work stations - just “get on with it” and..... we did! Speaking for myself - I have worked longer hours, taken fewer breaks and have been hugely more productive working from home.

Now i’m back 2 days a week. A 45 minute commute each way, using petrol I can ill afford. Stopping to chat with every Tom Dick & Harry I meet around the building. Being distracted by co-workers every 15 minutes. Lengthy sojourns in the canteen. I estimate my output has dropped by 30% on my ‘office’ days.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

This is why I'm convinced that WFH will endure and prosper - it just makes sense.

Any update on the Revenue Office? I am due to start in Cork soon. Is training back in the office yet does anyone know? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Don't know about training, but I've heard Revenue haven't really been pushing staff back into the office. Seem to be one of the more laid back and progressive departments / agencies re working from home (again just from what I've heard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well if they can't read, there isn't much point in printing it out for them is there?

The absolute scutter you come out with really does beggar belief but as long as you can further your public sector bashing agenda it's all good.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,036 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a lot easier to take a letter you received to a trusted friend or Citizens Information, than it is to take an email you don't know you've got, or a message on your MyGovt /MyPAYE that you cannot access.

Please do point out any place where I have engaged in "public sector bashing".

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, hopefully I will hear more soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Most of the office, zero, most still working from home except for those with jobs that require a physical presence. No plans to change that in the short to medium term. My division, two days a week rostered in the office for everyone, "to be fair to the whole team", even though some of us could work more efficiently from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

But at least management can see you being less efficient by being in the office 😐️

I think thats why my supervisor is not pushing us to go in. They know that we're more productive from home, and we're short staffed as it is.

There is method to their madness.

(Also four colleagues who did attend the office last week, have now tested positive for covid!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭thomasj

hearing that the announcement/release of the policy document on blended working in the civil service, is imminent, maybe as early as tomorrow.

Then its up to government departments/offices to shape their own policies around it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

Same in my Department. Loads of people out with covid. Some quiet sick. Whole teams out as they came in some days all together.

Thing is this will keep happening with each wave every three months or so.

Still zero ventilation in our office. You would have to wonder about how this sits in a legal side of things. You might expect some serious issues in the next year or so if this continues. If people are forced in the office only to get sick again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

2 in my section out with Covid for the 2nd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

Most can't be opened and those that can are only a small opening in areas of lots of desks.

Typical old civil service building.

Advertisement