Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Would that not be long covid or some sort of viral fatigue? Seems bonkers! Sure you couldn’t work with current restrictions. Are they unwell with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭prunudo

Similarly, know someone who's on their second dose within 2½ weeks, struck down a bit worse the second time, although she was double vaccinated but not boosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know it's crazy. Has kids and does some coaching. Not unwell with it. Just a head cold with latest positive.

We are all remote working so doesn't affect from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why are people still quoting 20,000 cases as if it's a massive deal? We probably had 10 times that every day during Xmas and the sky didn't fall down.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Cork2021 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That's great, building up natural immunity before the vaccines wear off, they will have no bother next winter when those that haven't had it will be facing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Im well aware that 90% of the populace are fully vaxxed and the incidence of severe covid will be obviously still be experienced more in this cohort. I am hearing however many anectotal incidences of fully vaxxed and boosted suffering quite severe Covid symptoms and their non vaxxed partners being non symptiomatic or minor symptoms. I have first hand experience of this as one of us is vaxxed and the other not. Is the reduced severity of Omicron due to vaccines or a less virulent disease? There is a large cohort of unvaxxed in the country but with the huge infection rate this does not seem to correspond with an increase in ICU numbers. The media scramble to highlight the number of unvaxxed in ICU seems to have died a death. So are all the 50 people in ICU unvaxxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vaccination we know prevents severe cases but you can still catch it. A severe case means hospitalisation. Self-diagnosing as feeling awful is not severe. There is unquestionably a level of psychosomatic responses to COVID because we have a much higher fear of it than a cold or flu'. Pre-COVID we soldiered on until we couldn't and "dying with a cold" was and still is no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is is the thing i wonder how many people are in hospital who if they felt the same with a flu would just see it out at home

I don't think you can really get a clear answer to that. IMO, wall to wall alarm about COVID for the past two years has made a lot of people question the most minor of symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jesus Mariam O'Callaghan has to have one of the most irritating voices ever broadcast over the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

If we were treating COVID as a common flu and hospital staff were allowed to work with it

How much of an actual crisis is there in the hospitals aside from the headlines and isolation rules and staff absences

It seems more like a manufactured crisis than a real one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Per Sunday Indo today, "the HSE expects most of the estimated 200,000 refugees that may arrive will be unvaccinated."

That's a challenge if the powers that be still hold that unvaccinated people are more likely to spread covid, or end up in hospital/ICU with it.

Luke O'Neill is saying "Mercifully, however, the vaccines are largely holding up against it. If they weren't, our hospitals and ICUs would be full of Covid-19 patients. We are lucky BA.2 didn't come along at the start of the pandemic. Because natural infection with previous variants and vaccines provides protection, we're not seeing a huge increase in severe disease and, therefore, no increase in ICU admissions, for now."

But would this not mean that all the unvaccinated in the country (there are still a fair amount of them) would now be filling up ICU according to his logic?

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I'm unvaccinated as well as 4 of my adult children and many of my extended family. My daughter wanted the vaccination for college. It was my daughter who caught covid in college and subsequently we all tested positive. We all had similar symptoms, all mild. In the extended family too both vaccinated and unvaccinated had the very same outcome, no difference in severity or length of illness.

These celebrity doctors have lost the plot. Creating headlines themselves now. “Covid soup”.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2022/0327/1288726-coronavirus-ireland/

You seem to be back to losing the plot yourself! Stop reading that rubbish! ICU at 52 with all that so-called soup around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I hate this wear a mask shite. They said if people don't want to get covid to wear a mask. We must be the only country that dropped all mitigation measures and give people a choice on what mask to wear. The current advice is to wear a medical OR respirator mask. It's the respirator masks that protect you but there's so little being said about it. Ah sure, you're grand with your blue medical mask and gaps on all sides!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m currently in los angles and about 5% wear masks , inside and out. It’s irrelevant if it’s the FFP2 or tissue style blue things. This cohort also spray down and scrub surfaces such as ATMs and public door handles. They usually travel in packs and are quite remarkable to the overall population. It’s 100% political over here and obviously so.

The great thing is it’s totally acknowledged as such and seems very much a “a that’s so cute” in normal terms of living. Covid is a distant nightmare for all but the clinically depressed or deranged tbh. (And that’s for California which is a leftist communist joke compared to freedom loving states like Florida / Texas etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I'm curious as to what benefit the recovery cert is now in relation to travel, if the need for the cert is no longer in use for travel? Not work related just solely in relation to travel? I ask as I see so many pcr results and people saying they are using them for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Unboosted people need a negative test or recovery cert for countries that are still asking for the DCC. I went for a PCR solely for this reason.

Which countries? Usa mainly I think? For Europe though in the main, you dont even need a DCC anymore even for totallly unvaccinated people. So is it just handy to have a recovery cert just to avoid antigen testing for holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah having to get a negative test a day before is hassle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

More than a hassle. With all the planning of a trip to the States, one antigen false positive could ruin a lot of planning!

So thats the main reason for a recovery cert use now? To avoid the antigen before the flight? Surely this doesnt apply to the US as only vaccinated folk can travel there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My aunt (USA) in her 70 ‘s who refused the vaccines has finally caught Covid. She’s getting a fair auld doing, including throwing the guts up. Thankfully looks like no cause for alarm. Interestingly the narrative has gone from “ oh no way i’m putting that into my body” to “ i wonder will i able to get the shot next week?”

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think the prize of unions dictating to the public goes to .....yes , it's the teachers !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We also have to be wary of attributing things to covid which have always existed, but have just come into sharp focus over the last two years. The public have never really known at any stage how many people are in hospital or ICU for any given illness. Yes, we've had the background noise of trolley numbers and such, but we've never had a winter bed watch in the media telling us how many people are in hospital with severe 'flu every day.

Peoples' response to illness sits on a bell curve. The majority of people respond mostly appropriately, if a little slowly to the severity of an illness. At one narrow end of the bell curve you have people who turn up to the A&E because they stubbed a toe and it's really sore, or because they started coughing and they woke up and are terrified that it's covid and they're going to die.

But for every one of those people, you have another one on the opposite side of the bell curve who would lose a finger and then go to bed to try and "sleep it off" instead of going to hospital.

We know that the number of incidental covid cases in hospital is about 50%, but outside of that it would be a mistake to assume many of the rest are "overreacting". Certainly no more than normal anyway. On the whole, hospital is a lot of hassle and quite scary. People generally don't go unless they're genuinely scared for themselves; in this case having trouble breathing or so badly fatigued that they can barely move.

Advertisement