Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don't think many people believe that at all; I think plenty of people wish it would happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Four weeks ago the idea of Ukraine being able to put up a fight was farfetched, but not now. Russia now losing a lot of or all of its gains is not that far fetched either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's an interesting question to think about. Ukraine would probably never have a better opportunity than now to get the whole of the Donbas and Crimea back under control of Kyiv. If Russia truly is abandoning plans to go for Kyiv, then Ukrainian forces will presumably be heading south and east to push things back to at least the situation prior to Feb 24, and then could they push further? What are people in Luhansk and Sevastopol saying to themselves these days, I wonder? Would they resist Ukraine coming back to take that land (which is a huge, huge, huge if), or would they allow it because they're suddenly not so hot on Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Interesting to read the beginning of this thread and see all the direct and indirect support for Putin and his actions from posters. Also slightly embarrassing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭animalinside

That is an extraordinarily offensive thing to say.

A "poundshop adolf" is making it sound as if Putin is somehow weak or inferior to Hitler who gassed millions of innocent people?

Please you and the people who thanked your post reflect on what this betrays about you and your character that you would even consider this to be a legitimate or valid thing to say.

• Advertisement

Whatever about shell-shocked, with the weather and nobody looking after them they must be Friesian.

Agreed, it should be fully investigated what idiot would record such a video.

Well I think we have to remember that the significant losses suffered by Russia during the first week or so of the invasion were largely self inflicted: they pushed units and large convoys deep into Ukraine where they became cut off and decimated by a still functioning Ukrainian Air Force and determined ground forces.

Crimea and in particular the Donbass are areas with significant Russian air superiority bordering on supremacy in the far east: which is very different to the Kyiv or more central/western areas of Ukraine. Crimea is also heavily fortified and surrounded by Russian controlled waters.

Both Crimea and the Donbass have significant pro-Russian populations also: so you could expect additional volunteers and as we've seen in the DPR/LPR significant numbers of conscripts.

And then you have the issue of supply lines: the Donbass in particular has multiple fairly well secured routes through which supplies can be forwarded covered by both air power, air defences, and a mostly friendly population.

So I don't think you can really compare Ukraine defending around Kyiv or Kherson against troops far from supply lines and without much air coverage versus Ukraine actively attacking into heavily fortified and pro-Russian territory which borders Russia proper.

Indeed I think it can be argued that many of the Ukrainian counter-offensives we have seen over the previous days have been successful due in part to Russia reorganising and resetting for operations in the Donbass; they have been pulling out their better troops and leaving smaller numbers of weaker units (i.e. badly equipped and low morale conscripts and DPR/LPR volunteers) in defensive positions which aren't covered by artillery or air power. These are ripe pickings for Ukraine's small unit advances.

Again I'm just some idiot on the internet but I think expecting Ukraine to be able to militarily win a bonafide full-scale conventional conflict along even one large front against Russia (even a much weaker Russia than anticipated) on its own is just asking far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s not right but to win a war against a bunch of animals it takes a bunch of animals, it always has. There is always plenty of time for morals and investigations after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is still a lot of closet support for Putin out there, especially among the far right and the far left : people who instinctively dislike NATO (and the EU and the USA to a certain extent).

Reading the Daily Mail comments section in the UK, there are large numbers of people who hate Zelensky and his government - they can't quite bring themselves to articulate their love for Putin in the comments, but you can see that's what they are thinking.

I've also seen it. I'd have to say it looks genuine on the face of it; and it makes sense that pro-Ukrainian sources wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole because it paints them in a very bad light.

Whilst in some sense I can understand their actions torturing or even outright killing prisoners of war is only going to make Ukraine's job that much harder and more unpleasant; and in particular for Ukraine's own prisoners of war when reprisals are inevitably carried out.

I should also mention I've seen another video which looks to be a number of Ukrainian soldiers executed via gunshots to the head lined up on the ground so... yeah; I think it's safe to say there's going to be plenty more nastiness before all this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Jesus have ye all nothing better else to be doing on a lovely day like today..out in the sun. Ye must be all sad recluses..give it a break and get a life

There's this thing called a MOBILE phone. The best ones don't self combust in sun light.

Jesus christ the amount of videos of Russians being instantly arrested for holding up anything. On the flipside, if you need urgent police assistance in Russia just go find a white piece of paper..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I visited that KGB museum 'The Corner House' back in 2016 and it was one of the most chilling experiences Ive ever had. Thousands of Latvians were processed there having been snatched off the streets by the KGB. I'll never forget the tiny reception area where they were booked in, the tour guide said if you found yourself in that room you were never going to be a free man again as you would either be killed in that building or else shipped off to a labour camp in Russia .Mothers of the disappeared used to show up to the building every day looking for their sons back. The interrogation rooms and torture chambers were absolutely chilling. And then the garage door exit onto the street- if the KGB wanted someone dead straight away they literally snatched them off the street, drove them into this garage, closed the door and then shot them up against the wall there and then. The garage was basically like an abattoir, they even had drains on the ground so they could wash all the blood away.

Whats interesting as well about that museum was the struggle to get it opened up and to keep it open. Latvia has a sizable minority of Russian speakers who have more loyalty to Moscow than they do to Latvia and the politicians they elect didnt want international tourists finding out about the horrors of what the KGB did in the city. It only opened in 2014 and it was a struggle to get it open with Russian focused local politicians battling to prevent it happening becasue they just wanted to sweep all the history of the KGB under the carpet. The tour guide explained all this to us, it was really fascinating to hear becasue although Latvia has been independent since 1991 there is still a sizable portion of the population who only consume Russian media, only speak Russian and live in their own Russian communities. I cant even begin to imagine what it is like for the average Lativian right now since the invasion of Ukraine, people who they know and work with will be literally parroting the Kremlins talking points about de-nazifying Ukraine. It must be really frustrating for them to have gotten their independence back in 1991 but stlll more than 30 years later they have this permanent Russian monkey on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah I've seen that video as well unfortunately.

One of the comments I saw on the video was the Russians were artillery men and given what they have done to civilians and civilian areas it is understandable that they could get rough treatment.

However if they are identified I have more confidence that the Ukrainians will deal with the perpetrators severely than I have that the Russians will deal with those who have carried out numerous war crimes on Ukrainian civilians (and that's before we even look at the crimes against the POWs).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They really are utter scum aren't they? Petty little mental and moral midgets with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

No .only the people using them tend to self combust lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*** reflecting *** Nope, still a ridiculous overreaction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That humour? Well done... bit more practice required, but you'll soon progress to knock knock jokes.

Yep; I have zero expectations that Russia would even investigate let alone actually hold anyone accountable. I doubt they even care about any Russian victims either; but they will use any such incidents to further justify the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just wait for a rise in front line Officers "assisted death's"......shot in the back. But he was running from the Ukrainians officer.....honest !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

The thoughts of mass uncontrollable protests terrifies them.....like it did Milosevic, and even more so Ceausescu.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Another example of the Kremlin's alternative reality. On state TV, host Kiselev suggests Russia had to act in Ukraine because the West “refused talks on security” (it didn’t) & because “preparations were being made for the military destruction of Russia” (they weren’t).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There will never be a 'conversation' about nuclear weapons, other than by countries wanting to acquire tham telling the currently nuclear armed countries to wrack off if they object. Nuclear proliferation is now a must for multiple countries, at a minimum being Ukraine, Taiwan and Australia. Poland may well want them as well.

Putin has let this genie out of the bottle and it's not going back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, rule now seems to be, if you have nukes, you wont get touched.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I mean even if all of that were true it still wouldn't explain the Kremlin's actions:

• Why not officially occupy LPR/DPR and Crimea with your full military might and then use that to force "talks on security"?
    • Or even just attack limited military sites using cruise missiles to force talks?
    • Or blockade Ukraine's coastal ports?
    • Or impose a no-fly zone over eastern and southern Ukraine?
    • Or deploy peacekeepers to LPR/DPR after recognising their independence to protect them?

There could have been a million ways to achieve Russia's stated aims via limited military action coupled with diplomacy: but it's abundantly clear they had much more extreme ambitions in Ukraine which only a full-scale invasion could ever achieve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement