Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB fraudulent transactions

• 25-03-2022 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭redmissb

My son has a student account with aib. Unfortunately the other day he got a text that came in on the AIB messages thread and he clicked the link and entered his details and also a verification code. Shortly afterwards he had a text from genuine AIB regarding suspicious activity on his account, sure enough it had been cleared..14 transactions one after the other. AIB are now saying they won't refund because he authorised the transactions, he didn't. What are his chances of getting his money back? He's distraught.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Previously they were refunding but with the amount of warnings they give all over the app and the website I think this may have now ceased.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Looks like your son did authorize withdrawals (by entering details and code).

I can't see why AIB would be liable in the circumstances tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭cal naughton

A harsh lesson learned early in life op.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭redmissb

Yes the link was to a copy of the aib website, it was all his savings almost €4000. He was told on the phone that night he would get it refunded but then the letter said no. I wonder if they refunded anyone recently? He's sickened about it.

It was the fact that it came in on the aib message thread that caught him out, that and he'd just made a fairly big transaction.

• Advertisement

Isn't that how the majority of people are caught out? By giving information to phone scammers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,297 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, and that's also why its impossible for them to be liable - the bank would go bankrupt if they had to refund everyone who was scammed.

You cannot trust any SMS as to where it appears to come from - phones will bunch messages with the same sender ID together but sender IDs are 100% fakeable (and have been since the first SMS in the early 1990s)

Yes I know not to trust any sms from the bank with a link to follow, I thought my son did too but there you go. At least the person he spoke to yesterday seemed to think there was grounds to appeal the letter. Just wondering what the chances are of getting anywhere with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Pentecost

This. Someone I know works there and they can't or won't do that any more due to how prevalent the scams are. They used to do it out of goodwill but refunds went through the roof in recent years. Under EU regulations if you give away your authorisation details the bank isn't liable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Each case is assessed individually and they will try to be fair despite the poor reputation banks have but the fraud levels are well up in the millions these times I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

I know so many people who have been caught with this text message. I got it sent to me 3 times last week and they tried sending me a BOI one too only I don't use BOI. The aul fella has his entire life savings in his current account. Getting him to open a bank account at all was hard work, getting him to invest etc out of the question so he has it sitting in his AIB account. I dread getting the call that he's wiped out. My mate lost 800 euro and never got it back.

I did get an email from them that shows the exact text I keep getting only it went into my spam folder and I only found it when I went looking for it after my mate got stung. They basically told him 'we sent an email, if you missed it, too bad'

Bank of Ireland have increased their security for clients greatly in recent times. I don’t use AIB so I can’t compare. All I know is you can’t simply clear out a BOI account quickly, there is a daily limit as to what you can draw out., and the app has extra authentication required per transaction.

People had previously complained on Liveline about how poor the security in BOI had been, and they duly got their act together. I’d love to know what the AIB experience is, ie are they still operating somewhat like BOI did.

That's a bit uncalled for, he knows he messed up..anyone can make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Tbf there are countless adverts on all forms of media, this isn’t a new thing and the message is always ‘we will never contact you asking for personal or banking details’.

Granted, your son didn’t want the fall out from said mistake but expecting AIB to refund 4k due to it is also uncalled for.

Where do you think AIB would recoup all the costs from if they refunded everyone who made a ‘mistake’ after spending millions on advertising educational material to stop people making those ‘mistakes’. it would be in account charges to all other customers who have educated themselves on the unfortunate world we live in now.

It’s a harsh life lesson but he’ll have to take it and move on. He won’t do it again. (Hopefully).

I didn't say I expected them to refund him, just asked what the chances were as the person he spoke to on the phone said he should appeal the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How did they get around the multi-factor authentication stuff?

The only reason I have ever done anything on my phone with AIB is because they've enforced MFA, with an app/text messages.

I'm not sure tbh, AIB are saying he clicked on a push notification and he's adamant he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

It is now possible to stop misuse of sender ids. If the banks are still allowing their sender ids to be faked then they are in some part responsible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

14 successive transactions totalling 4k to a new 'contact' on one verification code? Doesn't say much for the MFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Deub

what kind of transactions was it? Payment on a website or transfer via his bank account ?

from your OP, your son gave one verification code so I don’t think he can claim the first transaction. However, how were they able to complete the following 13 transactions?

It was payment to a website crypto.com. Yes he gave on verification code, maybe they allowed the rest because they were all to the same website?

How is it possible?

on the spam text thread, they say it is the responsibility of telecom companies to fix it. How could the bank fix this?

That doesn’t seem very secure from AIB. I would contest the last 13 transactions saying I had never authorised them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,297 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's not something the bank has any control over at all. Phone networks side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The principle remains the same across the industry.

No bank will send you a link and ask you to enter sensitive information (passwords etc)

The most they'll do is ask you to sometimes confirm if a transaction is genuine (usually send a yes or no response)

The fake texts always come through on genuine message threads.

It's a harsh lesson to learn but they would be seriously out of pocket if they had to refund everybody who has been scammed.

This isn’t true. There is no way to stop spoofed texts or calls as yet.

I suspect the ‘verification code’ was contained in the spoofed text that was received.

crypto.com is a legitimate site so perhaps AIB don’t enforce MFA for that site.

BOI only ask me to approve in the app on some sites and usually ones I haven’t used before. Like footlocker the first time I used them but never since.

The simple fact is, banks have been telling us for ages now that they’ll never text or call asking for information or details or to do anything that involves moving funds. People should know this by now.

Your OP you say he did not authorise the transactions and that AIB are resuming to refund.

The thing is he did authorise the transactions as he clicked the link in the spoofed text and entered his details and the verification code. At that point the spoofers have all the details they need to do what they like. They acted fast enough as to clear the account before AIB’s algorithm flagged the account as possibly compromised.

I’m sorry for the lad and I know it’s not what you want to hear but there’s no responsibility for AIB to refund him.

It’s a hard lesson learned but hopefully it is learned. You said yourself you knew about these types of scams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement