Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebs money manager account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been banking with EBS since my teens so about 25 years…

bad points as in now….

crap online banking..

late statements

frontline desks understaffed you can be waiting from walking in to being served 20 minutes on a bad day in Liffey St… one of the last times was a Monday, about 12.30… one person serving the clientele…

West Moreland St. branch was better but they went and closed it…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

See post #28.

If you want to logon to Bank of Ireland on a laptop, you have to authenticate via a mobile app. Though unlike EBS, BoI allows you to have multiple mobile devices to do this step so you can pick a registered (on your customer profile) tablet or phone off a menu when loging in and the challenge will be sent to the BoI app on that device.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Ok thanks for all that, good to know what I'm potentially getting myself into.. as you say its free [or almost] so one gets what they pay for, cheep and cheerful, basic, sort of bog standard but all accounts..

EBS branch staff members don't tell you any of this, [and I talked to quite a few already]

frontline desks understaffed you can be waiting from walking in to being served 20 minutes on a bad day in Liffey St… one of the last times was a Monday, about 12.30… one person serving the clientele…

West Moreland St. branch was better but they went and closed it…

It's unrealistic to expect them to continue to pay city centre rents, staff those branches and offer free current accounts!

Bank of Ireland charges €6 per month, they also have understaffed branches and they've closed plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ah sorry I missed that post thanks for the explanation. I actually opted for the little widget that bank of ireland send out if you don't have a smartphone as I hate those stupid authenticator apps. BOI has quite a good online system but I despise seeing the €6 gone out of my account every month and am willing to move out of spite alone.

The requirement for an app is putting me off EBS now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Prob a good procedure to ensure that a payee has been added by the true account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

You say this but it still takes the bank up to 4 days to complete a transfer. Maybe they should practice what they preach.

The post you quoted is almost three years old and the procedure it described for adding a payee no longer applies. You don’t have to phone them to activate a new payee.

Why, when they have a lot of clientele in the city, making healthy profits on mortgages and loans..

Businesses need to serve the needs of customers not the other way around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

your going to struggle to find a bank so, as most will require some sort of authentication via app to use banking on a laptop.

I'm considering moving completely online. I've been using Transferwise (now called 'wise') for years and it's great. No fees, Low xc rates, physical and virtual cards, nice user interface, no apps required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Definitely a good procedure but this can also be achieved using a pin guarded two factor authentication with a mobile phone and funnily enough since I made that post, that is exactly what EBS has done! It still takes a number of hours for the payee to become active after you authenticate.

The other changes since that post is the interest rate of 1.75% on the family savings account is gone and I did indeed get a contactless card.

One other good piece of advice I have is you need to have Revolut set up alongside EBS for the best of both worlds especially if you're big into online shopping. EBS charge very steep fees for foreign currency payments so if you pay for something in sterling like on Amazon with your EBS card you will get a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if EBS supports the Curve card? Its similar to Revlout but you dont need to top it up, it just takes money from the bank account it is connected too.

Also whats peoples experience of transferring between EBS and Revlout, Their website is pretty clunky but other than that is it reliable and seemless? Im thinking of using either Revlour or Curve as my main card for online purchases and contactless but am wary as the EBS online offering isnt great and doesnt inspire confidence. I dont want to be in a situation where I try to transfer 50 quid to Revlout at midnight and the EBS site assumes there is fraud going on and blocks the transaction. Like apart from the crap website does it actually work for transfers 99% of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've Curve but haven't used it in a good while - I don't think a bank needs to support Curve, it should work out of the box so to speak. I've used it with PTSB, Revolut & N26 in the past with no issues

nice one thanks, will give it a try. Was speaking with their customer service yesterday and he wasnt sure but would say it will be alright as its just another card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, use Curve with EBS and it works flawlessly. Would definitely recommend this approach.

I haven’t used my ebs debit cards in a couple of years, i mislaid the new pin code I got a few months back. In order to receive a new pin must I get a new card ? Can it be sorted by requesting a new pin ? Or do need a new card ?

Their site has all information you’d need, not this however.

One way or another, you're going to have to phone them. At which point, you'll get your answer.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I was endeavouring to see if i could attain an answer or advice here, prior to their phone lines reopening on Monday. :)

odd that they have ‘arrears support’ open for a few hours on Saturday… but a debit card ‘hotline’ a service which 90% of customers id imagine would use has no support whatsoever over the weekend ..a pretty ‘cold line’

I'd be surprised if they give you a new card. More likely they will post you a letter with the PIN.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s a simple matter of economics. They are making very little out of you, so loosing money by running an expensive service over the weekend is not good business.

Haha well considering the number of ebs card holders… the service wouldn’t be expensive, it’s offered Mon - Friday… running it an extra 52 working days…, only paying for staffing…. Won’t be making money out of me if I jump ship.

Precisely nothing now. Aside from when I use my card abroad and certain other transactions but in fairness I’m abroad a lot pre covid. About 5 - 6 times a year.

They make money on a lot of customers that should be gong towards the general running of the services, all services

Post edited by Strumms on

They make money on a lot of customers that should be gong towards the general running of the services, all services

This is and has been the prevailing view about Irish banks for many years now - they make loads of money so they should provide a service to me, even though they make no money from me.

I was on a focus group in the early 2000s, we were discussing an investment product that one of the local insurance companies was thinking of launching. The discussion expanded to the issue of bank branch closures when a man who was about 65-70 started to bemoan the fact that Bank of Ireland had closed his local branch. Because, he said, it was lovely to be able to call in and 'chat to the staff'. I asked him where he had his savings and he replied 'Northern Rock'. This was a UK bank with no high street branches, everything was done over the phone. But this fellow could see no irony in his expectation that BoI should operate a branch network as a social service while people like him gave their business to a bank with no branches anywhere.

The individual you describe is very much an exception…and no offence but it’s somewhat naive of you to think that a large cohort of people go to banks to converse with staff behind a glass screen..any unfocus group facilitating that, Jesus. Haha.

If they accept my custom, they should provide a standard of service ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Does you T&C state the you are entitled to weekend service? If yes then you have a basis for complaint, if not then you have the service you signed up for.

As for the rest, two banks are exiting the market because it is not a profitable business, so that should give you some indicate that your exceptions are false. And there is no point of going further on that topic.

• Advertisement

If businesses only engaged with clients based on entitlement they won’t be long in business…people will seek their entitlement to do business elsewhere.

the EBS was formally good when they DID open a branch or two such as the old excellent West Moreland St one for a few hours on Saturday… skeleton staff and you’d be Qing for 10 minutes but a valued service… excellent staff and flexibility…

Advertisement