Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Ah yes, the old ‘heavy week of training’ rhetoric after a defeat.

On a serious note, I don’t agree Waterford were ‘not too pushed’. if you go to Nowlan Park with that attitude youll get your arse handed to you.

considering the amount of key players missing it was a decent competitive performance, but a few lads who would have been looking for the opportunity to step up came up a bit short against quality opposition and we weren’t quite good enough overall. It showed despite all the talk about a strong panel we still need all our best all players on the field come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I don't buy this Waterford were not pushed about winning narrative..no intercounty hurler goes out disinterested in winning..If he does He should not be there..I know Waterford were missing plenty but surely the lads that were playing would try twice as hard to claim a jersey.

A full Waterford team is probably marginally ahead of kilkenny at the moment but to claim they didn't care is or should be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The way I'd see it as a netural is Waterford didn't go out with the intention of losing but Kilkenny needed the win more.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I was at the game in Nolan Park, and only last night got the chance to watch it back in full. I also listened into to Daly's podcast, and other than enjoying the chat and the banter these lads can make serious mountains out of molehills. I heard them talking about KKs game plan changing and highlighting a great score from a diagonal cross field ball unlike their "traditional style " - as if they have never played that kind of ball before !!!!! Cody has gone direct when it suits him, or is in trouble, he has also played running games when it suited them, they have been masters at picking out space and runs with good ball for years. Yes they are evolving and adjusting slightly, and mixing it up more, but anyone who thinks or implies that KK were always only about humping the ball down the filed and insisting lads had to win their own ball, probably also believe in the Tooth Fairy

So now to turn to reality, it was one game, where there was little or nothing between the sides with injury time starting. Both teams are still finding their feet and Cody probably needed and wanted the win more. Their championship starts with Westmeath and Laois with their first big outing the first week in May against Galway!! By that Stage we will already have faced Tipp and Limerick, so realistically KK need as many competitive games as they can get as part of their preparation.

Looking at the game itself we did started brightly, and should have been ahead by a lot more, but were not, basically down to poor individual and mainly unforced errors. Mr Murphy was his usual self with the whistle, unpredictable and inconsistent. Dessie got blown for over carrying when bottled up, even though he tried releasing the balls as soon as he got it and did so within a couple of seconds, no way was it an over carry. Darragh Lyons, lost his free for sticking his chest into the KK player having won his free, whereas a couple of minutes later Michael Kiely was penalized for what i felt was a legitimate shoulder, but when the KK player got up and shouldered Kiely into the back , Murphy did nothing, inconsistency!!!

Agree on DJs performance,, whatever he is doing in training, his confidence looks completely shot on the field,. First ball he got, he was in yards of space, a really handy introduction to the game, but he dropped it, failed to recover the ball and handed Walter Walsh a gift of a score. Second ball come his way another mistake and and another KK point and then he got hooked when he should never have been - a handy three point swing. DJ is a far far better hurler than this, so it must be totally a confidence thing, but unfortunately last Sunday he was a liability,

Comparing Blanchfield and Dalton, based on this one game is a bit premature to say the least. Dalton was playing on Walter Walsh a seasoned and very imposing campaigner, who when he is on form imposes himself physically and KK targeted him all day. I though personally Dalton did very well and better than expected in the circumstances. Love the way they talk about Blanchfield being a tall and rangy a typical Cody hurler, - just like Tommy Walsh, Jj Delany and Noel Hickey !!!!!

Lets face it, it was an end of League Game, with two experimental sides, in Waterford's case, being far more experimental with 11 realistic potential starters missing - KK need the win more and they had home advantage. Against these facts, this loss in my view was insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is there any data for club games played in Waterford over the years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Is there a Royal Box in Nowlan Park?

Or will Camilla be cheering from a horsebox 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

No Stephen Bennett again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

O Brien

C gleeson

I Daly

McNulty

Fagan

De burca

C Daly

D Lyons

A gleeson

Montgomery

Prendergast

Curran

Hutchinson

Kiely

Dunford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Austin or Curran on frees?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard he's gone off the panel and taking up an aquatic sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

We don’t joke about things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Has picked up an injury but expected to be ok for Easter Sunday.

Your team selection screams to me no point risking anybody with a niggle and understandably so. They mentioned on the our game podcast rumours Barron could be touch and go to make easter weekend don't know how true they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

From the outside looking In I'd say cahill is happy enough with what he has got out of the league. He has rotated the team and squad and probably knows who he can call on when things needs changing but the big positive this wknd for ye is lyons back on the panel after a long lay off. Barron is suppose to be under a bit of pressure alright to get back but prunty and bennet will be back. Daly is a very good option at 3. After looking at that team I'd fancy wexford and I think they'll want it more where as cahill will be just hoping no more injuries or suspension and he'll go ahead and prepare for tipp in a few weeks time. Darragh egan getting a great response from wexford and they're hurling with the handbrake off.The worry for them is maybe they're too reliant on rory o Connor at the moment but they'll love playing in nowlan Park and will bring a big crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

What date is the league final ? What date is our first championship game ?

League Final April 2/3, playing Tipp in championship April 17

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Hopefully Fagan goes well tomorrow, we could really use his ball winning ability and physicality in the halfback line and it would free up Iarlaith Daly to strengthen the fullback line if needed. I thought Tom Barron was playing well himself early in the league, surprised he didn't get more starts recently.

Our full forward line hopefully can get more quality ball in to them, they were starved against Kilkenny. If they do I'd be more confident of a win even without the quality of players we're missing.

Kilkenny are showing up how vulnerable the Cork backline are, especially fullback line. Limerick won't be overly worried about their trip to Cork in a few weeks time. I think Limericks bench is quite strong. Difficult to gauge some of their newer players as they were playing on a team that struggled throughout the league. They'll probably look a different prospect when Limerick get back to normal come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kilkenny are showing up how vulnerable the Cork backline are, especially fullback line. Limerick won't be overly worried about their trip to Cork in a few weeks time

Did Kilkenny not do the same to Waterford last week?

They did but I'm talking about Cork. Waterford had about 7 starting against Kilkenny that will start in championship imo. The backline started against Kilkenny was (1)Nolan (2) Wadding (3) Daly (4) McNulty (5) Fagan (6) de Burca (7) Dalton.

In championship I would expect something like (1) O Brien (2) I Daly (3) Prunty (4) Kenny (5) C Lyons (6) de Burca (7) Fagan.

You might disagree but I think Waterford have a stronger backline than Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You might disagree but I think Waterford have a stronger backline than Cork.

I think Waterford have better full back line than Cork but that's it. Cork I think are better everywhere else. I was expecting Waterford to beat Kilkenny last weekend. Wexford will test Waterford tomorrow as well.

That's fair enough, personally I'd disagree that Cork are better everywhere else but I've got my Waterford tinted glasses on. We'll find out soon enough which team is best equipped to take on this Limerick juggernaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to Liam and the lads today in Nowlan Park. A win would be nice but not the end of the world if our league campaign ends today (I’m sure some here might even have a preference for that to avoid a league final so close to the start of championship and thus reduce the possibility of injuries/suspensions).

Main thing for me is that any of the lads playing today that featured against KK last week can show it was a once off flat performance and the first touch, work rate, decision making gets back to the usual high standard today. Being a bit more clinical in front of goal if the chances present themselves would be more than welcome too.

That combined with a clean bill of health at full time and no further suspensions, the newer faces getting good solid game time under the belts and the established lads keeping up the good form (Aussie, Dessie, Curran, Jack P, Jack F and Calum Lyons finally getting on the pitch) and I’ll be happy enough.

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Hoping for a good performance and no more injuries. The result is a lower priority for me.

Best of luck to the team in the semi final, great day for hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Any talk of Peter Hogan? Hasn’t been on a match day panel yet. He had a very impressive campaign last year.

Some nice passages of play from us but still lots of mistakes. Aussie playing very well

We need to keep the heads, Wexford will come out flying in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Will Gleason miss the final now after getting the red card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

Some soft red, wexford lad should be ashamed, no force whatsoever, look where he was holding the hurl

Advertisement