Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭C__MC

If Gavin was over the team, Dublin hold possession for the last play and work a score. That play summed up Dessies mark on this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

So back too Parnell Park I take it for our home games?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Exactly but some rival fans act like only Dublin do it.

Like some morons complain that only Dublin fans boo rival free kick takers.

Meh, I’m just p*seed they look so bad. They will be Lucky to win Leinster the way they’ve been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'M Annoyed meself even though this was a gradual fall coming for over a year (since wexford in the championship) but still. I hope div 2 is a wake up call for Dublin football. Monaghan ironically are a team I expect Dublin to be hardworking. Fight structured - game management. A manager with a bit of nous.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I was saying that early season that it really does feel like the miserable early to mid 00s again.

Dublin used to sometimes get close but always looked like they will lose a close match. No bottle , no composure and they used to rely on 10 minute blitz’s to win games. Those teams lacked discipline and respect for opponents (healthy respect, I will never forget Alan brogan pointing at scoreboard go antagonise I think w Westmeath player in one of our many Leinster final victories).

Dublin don’t really have many goals in them, lack composure and look they might concede 1+ goals in most games. So porous at the back, can’t get over how easy it is to score against us.

• Advertisement

Yeah. And really frustrating to watch live in particular. Players not supporting each other, no movement. I would love to go to a Dublin training session to see what Dessie has them doing. It is a shambles.

Even Dessie's interviews and the warm up's he has the team doing - have dropped in standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

They'll still win Leinster I think. I think Mayo and Kerry are the only two clearly better teams.

I'm just after watching my own County beaten well by Longford in Portlaoise, looking like the most gutless, clueless team. 10 years ago we were in division 1 an there for 10 years or so.

It's all relative!

Farrell probably isn't the man for ye but he'll be there for championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

i know its straight after a loss so am annoyed but i see very little going forward with this panel we will most likely see more go in the summer and its a struggle to pick new guys that are in anyway up to the required standard . Now i know there are far worse things going on and its only sport but our fall off has been huge and looks like a long road back to even figure at the final stages let alone win .

On paper you would think Dublin would win Leinster. But this is a Dublin managed by Dessie Farrell - clueless tactician. It will be a Dublin team rock bottom on confidence. If I was to put money on Leinster I would have Kildare as favourites. They are vibrant and have the forwards. Unlike Dublin, they were in hard luck to be relegated. They played some decent games even when they lost.

Jesus Laois have fallen so far. I remember them winning the Leinster final, Munnelly was looking like a top quality forward. Also I’d brought my father in law to the game and hes from laois (border with Offaly), so he let me marry his daughter :)

Dont think Farrell will be around next year. Kildare might turn Dublin over unless the players to come back make a huge difference but even at that , Dublin just don’t look right. If it’s a close game against any decent team I wouldn’t bet on Dublin at the moment. And in summer in Croker Dublin teams can fall apart under pressure from opponents and their own fans if it’s going pear shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is precisely why I’d like a change in management….

Declan Darcy, Mick Deegan be interested ? Worked for years under Jim Gavin during the height of that success.

know winning, know dealing with players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

There is an element of transition but Farrell still has a player pool that other counties can only dream of.

I can't fathom what tactics were employed is most of the games and the sloppiness and dithering was unreal to see.

I've thought all along there was something off with Farrell the manager and time will tell.

He needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think there is a mix of Dessie getting the gameplan wrong and the new players coming through not good enough(yet I hope). Most of the subs brought on today did not contribute anything. I hate to single out people but that O'Leary lad looked way off the pace required for intercounty football, he did go off injured though so maybe that explains it. Worrying though that we even brought on a player not at full fitness

Munnelly has been top class for 2 decades. He was brought on today, a few months off 40 years.

That was good of your father in law😊

I think age is starting to show on Cooper, McCarthy etc. You'll get away with one or two over 30 but not 4 or 5. Pace starts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The writing has been on the wall for this management team for a while now. Trying to play long direct ball sounds good in theory, but not so good when you're playing in a gale with pissing rain. Dessie has his fingerprints all over this campaign. Sloppy play, terrible tactics, and a demoralised squad.

We are all confused with what he's trying to do and none more so than the players. They look lost out on the pitch and there's not an ounce of fight in them. Beaten out the gate in half the games played and even today we never looked like winning that game.

Sure look, we'll have a few games to paper over the cracks in Leinster and the first half daycent team that plays us will have their fun with us.

With the panel we have there is no way we should be getting relegated and I don't care what anyone says, they won't be changing my mind on that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Nevermind the young lads coming through. We have all stars in the team playing like junior footballers. The young lads haven't a hope when the team is playing this badly so I wouldn't write any of the players off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

This league campaign reminds me of Dessie's underage teams, they were easy to play against. I know he had some success at underage but my overriding memory of those teams were they were a bit "soft". You can't play at any level of this sport in such a passive way. Teams will just take you to the cleaners, even if you have better footballers than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

His last County job was with Derry, must be nearly two decades ago. Would he be in touch with the modern game? I know his job in UCD, but it's a little different.

From the outside you'd imagine Dublin would have more recent past players suited to the task, club managers, underage county managers etc.

Brian Mullins was 19 in 1974, that leaves him around 67. Only Brian Cody at that age and he never left inter county management.

• Advertisement

no chance he would be interested or even considered at this stage i would think cannot see a change until after the champo when i see Dessie stepping down .

I wouldn't let Mullins age fool you he has been well up on all the modern game stuff. A lot like Micky Whelan. Mixed with old school cop on as well. Mullins would be a great stop gap for two years. With a younger fella assisting to take over afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Age and milage is catching them. Alot of younger lads in mid twenties have been bench warming too long

Slava Ukrainii

Plenty to work on says Dessie. Shïtė with the ball and equally rubbish trying to defend against goals. Food for thought indeed. Just 5 weeks to the start of the champo and he hasn't a notion what's wrong.

We'll do well to make the Leinster final is my prediction and that will be about as exciting as it gets.

Certainly can't see Dessie turning things around to any great extent prospects very bleak looks like ending ugly hope I am wrong of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Whatever about dessert, I think ye are missing cluxton big time. I know there was a bit of a rotation on keepers throughout the league but I've seen a lott of simple mistakes that wouldn't be happening if cluxton was still in there

Feck sake, his flipping interviews really rile me up at this stage. At this rate he will go from one of my favourite players of his Dublin era. To the most annoying ex Dub player since Marc Vaughan!

And the other bit that will really rile me up all the more - is the likes of Marty Morrissey saying 'Dessie Farrell one of the few to have an AI as a manager and a player'. 🙄

I think he has set Dublin football back the guts of a decade. Managed to undo a over decades great work in the space of just two years. And then there are those interviews which are just the cherry on top. Amount of times I have seen a Farrell interview and cursed/shouted at the telly/screen. Or turned it off for fear I would smash it!

Spot on even on the basics of keeping plus Cluxton had that calm assuredness. In my heart of hearts I always felt once Cluxton left Dublin would be really found out. Unless the whole team worked as unit and fought like dogs on the pitch. Using workrate and effort like a 'normal' team to mask deficiencies of the side.

But Dublin have forgotten the basics as another poster described it well Dublin under Dessie are passive. They wait for stuff to happen rather than make stuff happen.

It can be turned around quicker than that but will need urgent action. All those structures are still in place, we just have a management team that don't know how to use it. These things happen, no shame in that but we need to get a new team in place quick smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

The big name players are seriously underperforming. The likes of Fenton, Fitzsimons, Cooper were muck today.

Advertisement